Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Partner wants a 'sports car'. Please recommend her one….
  • RustySpanner

The delightful Ms S has expressed a desire to chop her Punto in for a sporty car whilst we’re both still continent enough to enjoy it.
    And who am I to argue?

Doesn’t have to be a convertible, doesn’t have to only have two seats, but both an advantage in Ms S’s eyes.

Has to be capable of long journeys in reasonable comfort, with enough luggage space for a weekend away.
    Ability to mount a bike rack an advantage, but we’ve got a Doblo for that
    really.
    Budget will be well under £10,000, probably about half that unless she sees something she really, really likes, in which case all bets are off.

We both like MX5’s and S2000’s.
    Neither of us are THAT keen on BMW Z3’s, so they’re probably out.

We’ve mates who’ve experienced the full horror of Alfa Spider/GTV ownership (replacement engines, court cases etc) so unfortunately they might be out too.
    Shame.

It’ll have to do big miles and be kept for years, so million mile Boxters might not be the best suggestion as we don’t want to spend a fortune on servicing & don’t want it to get keyed whenever we park it up.

What else should we be looking at?

Many thanks in advance.

scaredypants

MX5 only, I suspect – they’re grrrrreat

(I assume that when she says sporty she means “a bit” – sexist, I know but that’s what mine meant when she bought an MX5 20 years (?) ago)

bradley
    Free Member

Uhhmm…

Audi TT 3.2v6 could be fun.
    BMW 330D/335D or other 3 litre+ variants with convertible, E46 is my preferred era of BM but whatever you can afford/like.
    Nissan 350Z.

Just off the top of my head, more will be along shortly…

joepose
    Free Member

+1 for the MX5 – lot of car for a £10k budget

CountZero

MX5, FTW. Probably the best little sports car on the market, reliable, long production time, so plenty of spares, a practical everyday car. And good looking, too. There’s a lovely black one on the forecourt of the car dealership next to where I work, and I must admit that I could easily be tempted if the money suddenly became available… 😀

RustySpanner

I think how it makes her feel would rate much higher than the 0-60 time, if that’s what you mean 🙂 .

Neither of us are speed freaks, but we want something enjoyable and fun.
    MGB’s are out. Bit slow. 😀

Oh, must be able to handle speed bumps and crappy roads too.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah just go the whole hog and get a Subaru Impreza. They are such a scream!

Rachel (previously an owner of two…)

JCL
    Free Member

La Ferrari?

midlifecrashes

I’m currently looking at last model Toyota MR2 roadsters, have test driven a couple and they seem really nice. Not scary quick but great handling, very good mpg for a sports car (38 combined). Toyota reliability, but not much of a load carrier. Actually a decent size load area behind the seats and a cubby hole up front, but not one for trips to IKEA or carrying bikes. Between three and five grand and you take your pick.

Markie
    Free Member

This gorgeous race ready Lancia Fulvia...

stox
    Free Member

I know you say you don’t like the Z3 but my suggestion would be a Z4.
    Were reviewed on this weeks fifth gear as a great second hand buy

Kato

I’d look at an S2000. Thought it was awesome, just a bit small for me

TheFlyingOx

+1 for the 350Z, and the S2000 is a good shout too.

Infiniti G35 should you like the 350Z but want that little bit more refinement.

MX5 are great but not the biggest for luggage, at least in mk1 & mk2 form.

Mk2 MR2 are great, and have a very decent boot. Turbo version is ridiculously fast. They’re very comfortable too, for the type of car they are. Chav image though, unfortunately.

Vauxhall VX220 can be had for under £10k, and they’re seemingly fantastic cars.

Plenty of Merc SLKs about for under £10k. Could get a pre-dodgy period SL within budget too, and they’re only ever going to go up in value now.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Boxster – 40 to 60k miles (thats not a million miles) for up to 10k, but look out for RMS issues

S2000 could be a bargain, but are a little snappy in the wet

If Z3 is out is a Z4?

Fiat Barchetta for something a little different

350z and TT as others have said

Elise – cheap as chips to run a K-series car, but she might not find it comfortable, don’t be put of by reliability I’ve done 100k in a K-series with no real issues. I camped for a week in mine, but you have to get creative with packing.

SLK

chiefgrooveguru

S2000 – howls like a ’90s touring car when you rev it, but chilled when pootling. Remarkably quiet on the motorway with the roof down too.

legolam
    Free Member

The S2000 is a marvellous car – a real driver’s car. I really miss our’s despite it being terribly uncomfortable as a passenger (stiff suspension), noisy (couldn’t hear the stereo over the engine), and it had a tiny boot (enough for one overnight bag). Pre 2005 models don’t have traction control either (not many of them on the market for this reason!).

[/url] Honda S2000 GT by Legolam, on Flickr[/img]

v10
    Free Member

Mrs v10 has just had a Mk2.5 SVT and its a great laugh, was very cheap to buy, surprisingly cheap to insure too (£7 a month more than her 1.6 megane…) and much more involving to drive than the mk3s we tried. With your budget and mileage constraints your probably looking at mk3s though in which case there are some other alternatives. S2000 or a 3.0 Z4 would be where my money was going. For some serious fun you might be able to sneak into vx220 2.2s too if you stretch to 7-8k… Tidy rag top E46 M3 can be had for the same but probably one to avoid in terms of running costs 😆

petrieboy

Mrs petrieboy had a TT roadster. Nice enough, but wind noise was tiresome on long motorway trips. Coupe would have been a better choice.

If something “sporty looking convertible” is a possibility, Saab 93’s look spectacularly cheap?

Sandwich

Audi S3 3 door would do it. Bikes and kit inside for a weekend away with the seats down. Bit gloomy inside but well screwed together.

bikebouy
    Free Member

S2000 – mate has one, good car, screams a bit though.
    Z4 – mate has one, good car s’pecialy in deep maroon.
    TT 3.2’s are ace ( but don’t get one ) 😀

earl_brutus

New shape slk350 looks a hoot

julians
    Free Member

s2000 would be my choice, brilliant car, bullet proof reliable. cheapish to run.

I owned one for 5 years, it was great.

Avoid anything by the VAG group, they dont make sports cars, they are all tedious (I owned an audi s3 for 5 years also)

unknown
    Free Member

My suggestion would be a fiat barchetta, and not just because I have one for sale…

igm

We have a 11 year old MX5 that we got to go on honeymoon. Not super fast but lots of fun, not much grip relative to say an Elise but superb balance (ie very controlled slides). Enough room for a 3 week trip for two. Drove it for work one year and it was fine – even in the snow it was extremely predictable (and 5 mph tail out slides are just hilarious).

Insurance under £200 fully comp and protected no claims.

Sum total of work other than tyres and servicing – well there was a it of excess wind noise from some of the roof / window trim so Mazda changed it – probably a tenner if I’d had to do it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

BMW 3 series coupe (E92) ?

Not exactly a sports car but is more refined / handles better than most, can take 4 adults in comfort and also two bikes!

Even my “little” 2.0L 320i is good for 0-60 in 8 seconds and 144mph should the opportunity arise.

I imagine the straight six petrol or diesels are amazing ..

.. Or a Z4?

bowie278
    Free Member

Mercedes SLK. You can pick up a brilliant 200 for £10k but my choice would be a 350. 350 is bloody quick, not too bad fuel consumption (28mpg combined(considering it’s a 3.5L)), good handling, gorgeous looks, and best of all it’s a Mercedes so it’ll last longer than you will! If that doesn’t float your boat then the 200 is brilliant. As a few of the other guys have said, S2000 is a good shout but be sure to take a look at Nissan as well.

But, still… SLK :mrgreen:

monkey_boy
    Free Member

nissan 350z

smokey_jo

We have a TT, the 2.0 turbo is plenty rapid but not an engaging drive and the doors are very long and heavy. PITA to get in and out of, noisy not very comfortable and a bit claustrophobic.
    Just not fun. Boot is a reasonable size though and 35 mpg on the motorway.
    Can’t wait to get rid of it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Z4, end of!

Tracey

Kevin bought me a MX5 1.8IS as a supprise Christmas present in 1994, my suprise for him was that I was pregnant with Katie. When Abigale came along in 1998 I had to sell it, it broke my heart. Bought a MX6, then a 307cc and now have a 308cc, would go back to a MX5 once the girls have left the nest.

mikey.b
    Free Member

How about a VW EOS ticks most of the boxes, a bit sporty but comfortable to drive and good for long journeys. We are looking at changing ours due to impending grandchild (PM me if you want any details, am in Hyde, welcome to have a drive 🙂 )
    Mike

tymbian
    Free Member

Ford F150 lightning! Thread closed.

Gary_C

BMW 330D/335D

??

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Had 2 MX5’s loved them but prefer the MR2 I have currently. For £5k you could get one of the last ones.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you look at MX5’s definitely test drive a Mk 2 and Mk 3. The Mk3 is not as good a car as the Mk 2.. I only drove a Mk2 after buying a new Mk3 🙁

SLK’s are nice safe cars. 3.5 is a nice engine, reasonably quick, but not as quick as you would think. You can’t turn the traction control off either! Handles ok, but not only ok.

Daffy

BMW E46 M3 Convertible, You’d be able to get a 2003 for around 10K and the optional hard top can be fitted with a bike rack.

samuri
    Free Member

Mk2 MR2 are great, and have a very decent boot. Turbo version is ridiculously fast. They’re very comfortable too, for the type of car they are

That was very naughty of you. Please don’t make statements like that without giving people the full picture please. Tell them what the MK2 MR2 Turbo’s nickname is….

Daffy

Anyone that believes that a standard BMW 3 series is a sports car should be taken outside and shot!

slackalice
    Free Member

Go retro.

You’ll get a very nice Mk1 Golf GTi … ticks your boxes

Or a BMW 2002

What fun!!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

.. I think both references were to the coupe/cabriolets which whilst not “sports” cars arguably handle a lot better then many that profess to be .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Partner wants a 'sports car'. Please recommend her one….’ is closed to new replies.