Parking penalty charge – NCP car park

Home Forum Chat Forum Parking penalty charge – NCP car park

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Parking penalty charge – NCP car park
  • 2tyred

Received a ‘notice to owner’ from NCP the other day over a penalty ticket issued a few weeks ago at a private NCP car park, addressed to Mrs Tyred (as she’s the registered car keeper). No ticket was bought – it was late at night and the carpark was virtually empty.

She was not driving the car.

Now, my understanding is that private parking firms have no legal right to enforce penalties in the way traffic wardens/local authorities do. All they can really do is send scary-looking letters in the hope people pay up. Even if there was some avenue open to them, surely the contract being broken is between them and the driver of the car, not the owner?

The notice comes with all sorts of threats about debt collection, county court judgements and so on. My thinking is, this is purely a civil matter of contract law, and while they could potentially take *someone* to court over this (to recover the damages incurred, ie the 2 quid normal parking charge or whatever) surely this *someone* would have to be the driver of the car?

My thinking is to simply ignore this, save for perhaps sending a letter to dispute the debt should anything arrive from a debt collection agency.

Has anyone else done this? What happened?

If it’s their car park, i’d be willing to bet there are different rules than those covering clamping company penalty notices, as you allude to, but i’ll happily be corrected if someone has an example of a ruling going the other way…

Why do you want to argue the toss ? I would have thought that you’re bound to lose as I’m pretty sure that the fact that “the carpark was virtually empty” has no bearing whatsoever, on whether you should buy a ticket or not.

Have a look here for lots of info:

I got one of these notices at the end of last year, although from a different company. It was sent to me as the “Registered Keeper” of the car. I wasn’t driving the car on the day in question, so had no intention of paying. I sent a couple of fairly standard letters back to them, they sent me a couple of standard letters back in return (I don’t think they even read what I had written), in the end they just stopped writing back.

You parked in a car park without paying and are now wanting to avoid paying the fine after they found you were using their services without paying? Hmmm…

Gus – they’re after 100 quid!

Not interested in the rights and wrongs of using a carpark without a ticket, just the legal position. I don’t think scary looking documents made to look like statutory penalty notices are enforceable at all, especially if they’re not sent to the person committing the ‘offence’.

looked into this in Scotland (could be different). Basically if it’s clear you should be paying then they can claim but perhaps not. Penailise. Sounds with fighting though

As with GG on this.

the NCP has terms of usage of its premises. You (or whoever was driving) decided not to meet them, and now you want to weasel out of the consequences?

Grow up.

Its unenforceable IMO – unless they want to take you to court to prove that you used thier services & they made their charges clear at the time

It’s nothing more than a speculative invoice – bin it

You (or whoever was driving)

This is the point – who’s liable? The registered keeper of the vehicle or the driver?

Premier Icon theotherjonv

write and inform them who was driving, suggesting it is they who are liable, not the keeper. And of course inform the person who was driving that you’ve done so (who was it btw?)

Should at least be enough to stop the clock and get them to reconsider, and if they continue to pursue I’d suggest that would be enough to save you, if not the actual evader.

Usual rules – recorded / signed for so you know they have it and so on.

The driver of the vehicle at the time of the ‘offence’ is liable, but as it is a speculative invoice rather than an official PCN they cannot force you to disclose the name of the driver which they’d need in order to persue the case via the courts.
    Ignore the letter, its written in a vaguely legal sounding manner in order to frighten people into paying.
    Of course if you had paid for the carpark…..

One presumes you know who actually parked the car? This reads like you’re scared to ask the “offender” to stump up for the penalty.

As it’s a private car park you’re liable for losses only. The 100 quid fee is a penalty fee and they have no right to it.

When this happened to me after I overstayed in an empty private car park I sent them a cheque GBP2.50 to cover the loss to them of me not putting enough money in.

They cashed it I got a stackful of letters threatening all the usual $h1t (mortgage, bailiffs, blacklist etc) that I kept but never responded to. After about 6 months it stopped.

Many people don’t even pay but I felt that it would help me to cover their losses if it did go to court.

Note however that they are only allowed to pursue the registered keeper who is under no obligation to say who was driving. You need to be sure the driver isn’t identifiable on any CCTV though and if so get the Mrs to tell them she wasn’t driving and she doesn’t know who was.

None of this is legal advice – just my own research and experience. Eventually these clowns might be get regulated properly.

Eventually these clowns might be get regulated properly.

I reckon the ‘clowns’ might eventually just wheel clamp cars which haven’t paid to park on their premises.

I have to say that I’m surprised that ‘who drove the car’ would be an issue here, as the charge isn’t for a driving offence, it’s presumably because your property was dumped on their premises to which they only agree if the owner pays a fee.

I agree that the £100 charge is excessive btw.

Gg – The use of NCP carparks entails agreeing to a private contract (all that small print next to the ticket machine) and a contract can only be legal between the company and whoever uses the facility. This means that legally they only have the right to persue the user of the facility, not the vehicle keeper and since it is a private contract between two individuals the registered keeper has no obligation to provide any information to them.
    You quite often see “we will contact DVLA” or similar on these sorts of letters and parking tickets but they have no more right to access to this information than you or I and such information would be useless anyway because, as already stated, the contract of use is between the company and carpark user, not NCP and the registered keeper.

Fair enough. Although I would have thought that there was a presumption that the owner had agreed with whatever was done with his or her property. Still, maybe an area which needs some sort of legal overhaul ?

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth

Grow up.

Not helpful.

All the above is correct: conrtract between user (i.e. driver) and car park. Under contract you can only recover your loss, not a random amount chosen to scare people – that’s a penalty and unenforceable.

I suggest that Mrs Tyred writes back to thank them for their letter and point out that she was not driving the vehicle that night and as such there is not contract between her and them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Parking penalty charge – NCP car park’ is closed to new replies.