• This topic has 83 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Parking Charge Notice for parking at Lidl
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

A lot of supermarkets also have parking enforcement done not by the supermarket/store but the landlords,so appealing to the manager, is pointless and just wastes their time.

Not true. The managers can allow discretion as the enforcement company is their customer.

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

I had one from an Aldi car park I ignored it. The follow-up letter also went in the bin. I heard nothing more.
    That’s my experience.

This is my experience too, and my policy with this kind of thing. I’ve had a few over the past 15-20 years, always ignored completely, always gone away. I may just have been lucky, but my theory is that these grubby little businesses play the statistics game, and if they get a zero response it rapidly becomes less likely that they’re going to get an income from the case. If they have any correspondence at all from the driver, they know that there’s a human at the other end and the likelihood of getting cash out of them rises massively, especially since the aforementioned case ruling. I don’t know but I’d imagine that a significant proportion of tickets have errors, wrong addresses, cars not registered correctly, etc, and there’s not much point spending expensive man hours chasing the dead ends. So other than automated threatening letters, unless they can identify a real person the cases get binned after a while. Plenty of people who’ll ‘just pay up’ to make easy money from, after all.

This does not constitute advice, and may well bite me on the arse eventually.

As for the ‘Dont be a dick scale’ I don’t see it being a dick at all, so long as a) no Lidl customers were prevented from parking by SR’s wife parking there, and b) SR’s family regularly shop at Lidl, contributing to the costs of the carpark. It’s a completely victimless infringement.

project

When you park on private land (such as a car park) you must follow the land owner’s rules and charges. If you don’t you have broken your ‘contract’ with the landowner.

The difference of parking on private land is that the landowner (and any private parking companies acting on their behalf) may issue a charge.

The land owner not the store owner has the power to issue and rescind fees, the store owner or company that pays the lease charges, just lease the store usually.

Both our local Wickes and B and Q, the car parks are enforced by a company employed by the landlords.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Relationship between Lidl & Athena (their appointed car parking management company)…..

‘Lidl have a unique (or at least very rare) relationship with Athena, in this case Athena are paid a fixed fee for doing the paperwork side but Lidl keep the profit. In most cases the PPC keeps all the profit, Athena get paid regardless and Lidl, who have one eye on keeping customers, are more likely to cancel than any other landowner’.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

The land owner not the store owner has the power to issue and rescind fees, the store owner or company that pays the lease charges, just lease the store usually.

Strange thing that so many have had good results by contacting the manager of the stores then.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

If you pay the £45 to Athena within the first 7 days, they send you a poster of the tennis player scratching her arse.

😂

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

As for the ‘Dont be a dick scale’ I don’t see it being a dick at all, so long as a) no Lidl customers were prevented from parking by SR’s wife parking there, and b) SR’s family regularly shop at Lidl, contributing to the costs of the carpark. It’s a completely victimless infringement.

I can kind of see b/ but how do you define regularly and does it matter if you go every week but spend relatively little, or rarely but spend a lot? It’s just fair to say if you’re shopping today you can use the carpark for a reasonable amount of time.

But a/ How do you know if you’ve been parked there for 2:24 and away watching rugby training / shopping in town or whatever else people do? I don’t see it as victimless at all, if you’re taking advantage of people who can follow the rules.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

What annoys me is that the extra 24 minutes doesn’t cost anyone £45, it’s an arbitrary fee. Whether you park there or not makes next to no difference to the cost of running the car park, it’s just a made-up fee that gets charged because they can.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

It’s a fee to deter people parking there when they shouldn’t.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

I don’t think it is – it’s a fee levied purely for profiteering. OP’s a customer, why shouldn’t the shop want them to park there?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

It’s not the for genuine customers.

Subscriber

From my post on the other page:

One of the defences against a Parking Charge Notice used to be that the charge should be in line with the losses sustained by the land owner (which when parking was free and the costs were an automatic letter plus stamp amounted basically to buttons), but in the landmark case that Beavis brought, the judge agreed that the penalty could be high enough to be a disincentive but not so high to be unconscionable. And £45 seems to be quite reasonable in that respect.

Re:

OP’s a customer, why shouldn’t the shop want them to park there?

They aren’t stopping them, you can park for 2 hours for free as long as you’re using the shop, which is plenty of time.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

It’s not the for genuine customers

Car park company doesn’t make that differential.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

They aren’t stopping them, you can park for 2 hours for free as long as you’re using the shop, which is plenty of time.

My argument is purely emotive, I know, but the OP is a customer, and them overstaying 24 minutes cost the shop nothing. Unless, of course, the OP stops using the shop, in which case it’ll cost the shop a lot.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Unless of course his wife being parked in that space for over 2 hours for a packet perky pigs stopped several customers being able to get their big shop so they went to Aldi instead.

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

How do you know if you’ve been parked there for 2:24 and away watching rugby training / shopping in town or whatever else people do? I don’t see it as victimless at all, if you’re taking advantage of people who can follow the rules.

Okay; I should qualify that by saying I’ve never been to a Lidl that has a more than half full car park. If spaces are at a premium I probably wouldn’t take the liberty, but if there’s plenty of spaces, I can’t see the harm.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

Unless of course his wife being parked in that space for over 2 hours for a packet perky pigs stopped several customers being able to get their big shop so they went to Aldi instead.

As soon as they demonstrate that, the charge is justifiable. I don’t think I’ve ever been unable to find a space in a supermarket carpark.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

That’s not how it works.

It’s a fairly common occurrence in a lot of supermarkets for them to get full.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

Busy, yes – I’ve never seen one full. Which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, of course, just not when I’ve been there.

“How it works” is an arbitrary charge is applied that bears no reflection to the cost of someone parking there*.

* For a handful of supermarkets – most are happy to encourage people to go there.

Subscriber

weekend mornings they’re queuing out of the carpark and down the road in the one near me.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Errr! It’s fine not the hourly rate.

Subscriber

an arbitrary charge is applied that bears no reflection to the cost of someone parking there

That’s not the point of it – the charge is to dissuade people taking the piss, as per the Parking Eye vs Beavis referenced.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

I’ve nothing more to add, I’m out.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Sc-xc, It was a bloke not a girl in the poster. Look at the shoulders.

I can really assure you that was not the case with the original. Although it has been re-shot several times.

wysiwyg

I got done before Christmas for parking in a McDonalds, I work with “yoofs” and meet them there to talk about the future etc

One was late and I was 10 mins over. Not responded yet. I’ll probably pop down now. I do have a receipt on the app to prove I was there thankfully. But all I did was buy coffee for 1h40

johndoh

Although it has been re-shot several times.

Yup – I’ve shot at my copy more than once.

project

Strange thing that so many have had good results by contacting the manager of the stores then.

Have they though,may be possible in some stores car parks but others, swings and roundabouts, you take your chance and see.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

All those saying “ignore it” is bad advice. The law changed a few years ago.

Car culture wow. Have you ever thought of walking.

Absolutely. Everyone should totally walk the ten miles to their nearest supermarket and walk home with a weekly shop.

What annoys me is that the extra 24 minutes doesn’t cost anyone £45

Unless the car park is full. Which it possibly would be if there were no enforcement / deterrent at all.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Have they though,may be possible in some stores car parks but others, swings and roundabouts, you take your chance and see.

Well yes they have which is why it is worth asking at the wurst they say they can’t help.

trail_rat

Surely you/she know if you were shopping that day or not.

Awful lot of speculation in the original post.

Which car park will you be parking in. For rugby practice from now on?

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

What annoys me is that the extra 24 minutes doesn’t cost anyone £45

Unless the car park is full. Which it possibly would be if there were no enforcement / deterrent at all.

Who does it cost?

Who does it cost?

Lidl.

The OP states that it’s the only parking nearby, so if someone can’t get parked, what do they do?. Go to Aldi across town?.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Lost revenue from customers who couldn’t park there, as mentioned yesterday before you left.

trail_rat

Why do people think it’s their God given right to litter sorry leave their car where ever they see fit ?

24 minutes or 4 hours it’s irrelevant the fee is such that it deters you….. It would be considered a bargain to pay 60 quid to leave your car sat there for 4 weeks….not so for 24 minutes.

Tbh you’d think twice about abandoning your motor on some streets round here…. Seems to be the thing for strange cars to spontaneously combust on some streets locally.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

Do you know if the car park was full? How do you quantify that two hours is ok, but two hours 24 minutes is worth 45 quid? If the car park’s full, can people park in walking distance? How much of that £45 do Lidl see?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

That’s why the word ‘unless’ was used but it doesn’t matter it’s a fine for overstaying in the car park, a genuine customer can appeal chances are on a losser

How do you quantify that two hours is ok, but two hours 24 minutes is worth 45 quid? If the car park’s full, can people park in walking distance?

I didn’t but the courts did and that’s why it now a legal fine.

trail_rat

Who cares.

Not shopping there shouldn’t be parked there.

SR knows this he evidently hasn’t proof he was shopping hence he’s come looking for approval of folk who think there is no harm.in leaving their tin box at their arse. If he had been shopping and had proof he wouldn’t be here asking

The space pollution of cars is on par if not worse than their air pollution.

Subscriber

If the car park’s full, can people park in walking distance?

If there’s parking available in walking distance how about using that to park in to watch the rugby instead of the car park provided by Lidl for the use of Lidl’s customers?

What tr said, stop living up to the entitled motorists stereotype.

It’s the rules, it’s on the sign, 2 hours. It’s no hard.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

a genuine customer can appeal chances are on a losser

Mrs SR is a genuine customer, isn’t she?

If there’s parking available in walking distance how about using that to park in to watch the rugby instead of the car park provided by Lidl for the use of Lidl’s customers?

Mrs SR shopped in there, didn’t she?

What tr said, stop living up to the entitled motorists stereotype.

It’s the rules, it’s on the sign, 2 hours. It’s no hard.

Nack-all to do with entitled motorists, thanks. The rules, why? That 24 minutes, who does it impact, what does the fine pay for? I don’t mind rules for everyone’s benefit, but I do object to rules that only exist to put money in someone’s pocket.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.