Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Parking at the Bridge of Orchy
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Once again i turn to the Singletrack forum for information.
    Im wanting to park my car for a few days in Bridge of Orchy whilst i do a 3 day walk. having never been there before i have no idea of the surrounding area or if its possible.
    Do any of you know the area? Or if i could park there?

Thanks in advance

scotroutes

I’ve left a car up.by the railway station. There are limited spaces though.

There is also a public car park by the hotel.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

And nice roadside parks Ng just across the bridge

( Though I imagine it’s rammed with vanlifers these days)

Greybeard
    Free Member

Though I imagine it’s rammed with vanlifers these days

This has put me off roadside parking in Scotland while doing expeditions. I may be wrong, but my perception is that the minority of van campers or roadside ‘wild’ campers who don’t respect the land will have prejudiced the locals against parked vehicles.

NZCol

Went past last Friday night about 8pm. Fair few vans and tents across river from Hotel but plenty of space. Glencoe quiet bar a few van lifers. Lots of random camping and vans all the way where we , erm, parked the van 🤷‍♂️🤦😂

LD
    Free Member

Just be aware that the A82 from Tyndrum to North Ballachulish is now a clearway so you could get done for improper parking beside it.

postierich
    Free Member

I parked there last Friday night as I was picking some friends up from the railway station. Did not seem overly busy.

Rich

highlandman
    Free Member

Second vote for:
    1. try the railway station first
    2. the large car park just to the south of the hotel and just off the A82 next
    3. over the humpy bridge is least favoured for that length of time, there’s a lot of coming and going there, buses squeezing past camper vans, folk trying to park their rental camper at the back away from the road, that sort of thing.

sparksmcguff

Was across there two weekends ago climbing. The station car park is small. Not sure I’d leave a car there more then a day. The public car park would be fine and you should get a space at the end so no one will really pay any attention. I would avoid parking elsewhere.

whitestone
    Free Member

Does it have to be at the Bridge of Orchy? There’s a big parking area at the entrance to Achallader farm at http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=231182&Y=743669&A=Y&Z=120 which gets used by Munro baggers, you might have to ask to leave overnight. There’s also parking near the Inveroran Hotel – http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=227125&Y=741382&A=Y&Z=120, seen a few wild camping there.

pjm60
    Free Member

If you’re heading towards clashgour/black mount, there’s a car park at victoria bridge. I’ve used it a couple of times for multi days with no issues.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips

We’re aiming on doing the west highland way, and i thought if i left a van full spare clothes and stuff at the half way point i wouldn’t have to carry them!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Railway station +2

And please stop calling them wild campers, they’re durty campers.

chickenman

Ah’m so durty and so’s ma burd! Pure love durty camping…

sparksmcguff

Durty campers? Yeah, I can understand that and it pisses me off that people don’t seem to care. But there’s another side and that is people are experiencing something amazing which they otherwise wouldn’t and maybe a few of them will start to actually care about the countryside rather then it being an alien thing. Personally I think anyone driving a massive suv is equally dirty. It’s just that their dirt isn’t as obvious. Why should I pay the price of their shitty infotainment system/ living room on wheels?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Experiencing? Are they though? Getting pissed by a roadside?.

I’m fully on board with lots of folks ‘discovering’ the great outdoors, from what I’ve seen walking, many of them don’t wander more than a few hundred metres from their vans, mainly to curl one off.

I’ve no idea what your point about SUVs is tbh. Is it just cos vanners are getting it?.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Parking at the Bridge of Orchy’ is closed to new replies.