Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Park Tools PCS 10.2 workstand, sticking clamp
  • iainc

I have had one of these for the past year and find that the cone piece which is part of the clamp for setting the angle of rotation of the bike constantly jams if left fixed in one place. One solution I can find is to undo the clamping lever whenever it’s not got a bike in it. Have checked the assembly instructions and it’s all put together correctly ?

joebristol

Mine does the same. I just loosen it off and stick a pole in the clamp and tweak it to loosen. On the positive the bike doesn’t ever spin round when it’s in the stand (like the last cheapie stand used to do)

martinhutch

Same here – tried getting some grease on the cone bit but to no avail. Sometimes needs a little persuasion with the rubber mallet too.

#crappydesign

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Ah well, not just me then !

Jordan

Mine does the same, always intended to put some grease in it but not sure if that would make it slip in use. Could always try it and clean it out if it slips.
    Actually, the fact that it sticks was a bonus to me when I bought it. I bought it used, it was advertised for £30 which was probably cheap enough to start with. The guy got it out of his shed and it looked in good nick but the head was jammed. In my genuine ignorance, I said there must be a bearing in there that has siezed and I would have it but a new bearing might cost me £15 so I offered him £15 for the stand as is. He accepted, I took it home twisted the head with a lever and it came free. I have been using it ever since. Bargain 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

It’s a park tool ‘feature’.
    As above, I’ve an old handlebar I use as a lever to ‘unstick’ it.

andrewreay

Grease mine and after some time (a year maybe) it sticks far, far less. Never slips.

Have whacked with a soft hammer from behind when CBA to clamp up an old seat post or whatever to ‘lever’ it free.

But prolonged grease (TF2) seems to have worked.

iainc

Hmm, may try some grease in the cone assembly and see how it goes ! Thanks

Haze

Greased mine and it’s not much better, just a bit easier to free up with an old seat post in the jaws

AdamT

I had this and totally solved it by going at the metal part internal surface with wire wool, then possibly some wet and dry. I then greased the plastic cone and all is good. I think the powder coating inside the metal part is quite rough which makes it stick.

1timmy1
    Free Member

This happened to my PCS9, I think I put coper slip on the cone and it was good for the next 3 or so years. Need to re-do it now, but it never slipped when in use.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1

Tried the grease thing but these days I just stick (pun..) to having it orientated vertically to hold seatposts, rather than horizontally for top tubes.

Oggles
    Free Member

Mine does this. I greased it which doesn’t stop the clamp slipping under load, but it still sticks.

To unstick I found that counterintuitively tightening by a quarter turn then slackening the handle is enough to work it free on most occasions.

oikeith

Mine does this, I usually use a mallet from behind to persuade it to come loose.

I read elsewhere about using vaseline instead of grease and was going to try that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Park Tools PCS 10.2 workstand, sticking clamp’ is closed to new replies.