• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Paris Roubaix This Weekend?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m heading off to Paris Roubaix this weekend with a couple of mates and was wondering where’s good to watch the race from?
    We’re riding the sportive on the Saturday then going to watch a bit of the racing on Sunday before we head back. We’re staying near Roubaix so will probably need to head to somewhere close to there.

I’m guessing that the pavé at Carrefour would probably be a good spot or has anyone got any other suggestions?

goss
    Free Member

on tv. -but really, do you wanna see bridleway CX or pavé sprint ?

aP
    Free Member

We’re riding the ride on the Saturday, then the intention is to get out to the Arenberg to see them pile through.
    Last year we watched at Gruson the sector just after the massive beer tent and screen at the end of the Carrefour. It was a lot less busy and you could see the riders coming, whereas on the busier sectors you will just about see them flash by….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Start and watch it in Compeigne, see the pros roll out wonder amongst the team buses and look at the pimpy bikes. You can get close to the riders and the atmosphere is incredible. Drive to Arenberg and see them in the infamous forest but take a picnic as you’ll have a while to wait, whilst there listen to the radios and follow it on twitter!
    Then head to Carre foure where the cobbles are like baby heads! They also have a TV there where you can see the finish once they’ve spun through. At this point the atmosphere is insane especially cheering the back markers through who are adamant Hey will finish at this point. Enjoy it it’s an amazing race to follow.

davidhadsley
    Free Member

Last year we went to the velodrome first, just for a mooch around. Walked straight past a steward who was distracted by something else and wasn’t asked to leave. Walked a lap, photos by the podium, saw Sean Kelly in the commentary box.
    Drove down to Arenberg and watched there. No giant screen but fun chatting to drunk Belgians. Drove back to Carrefour area, decided to stay on Gruson as it’s less busy and there’s also a giant screen at the end of that sector too.
    Previously we’ve gone to the first sector and then driven to Arenberg but that’s tight and you need to drive like a loon There’s also another sector you can stop at between Arenberg and Carrefour. Can’t recall what it’s called but you can see it from the motorway. A lot of cars just pull up on the hard shoulder but the Gendarmes may tell you to move on.
    Gutted not to be there this year.

paton
    Free Member

Last years Paris Roubaix. Crash, riders go down, Elia Viviani tries to stop but ……
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqNJ446KRdY[/video]

…good thing motorbikes have disc brakes.
    and someone gets a job as a Sky team helper.
    If you are standing in the right place.

palmer77
    Free Member

If you look on google maps you can follow a track to the middle of the Arenberg, then you can get out easier once the race has passed.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice here guys.

We ended up watching the race on the big screen at Carrefour then watched the pro’s come through at Gruson. As much as we’d have liked to head down to Arenberg we really couldn’t be bothered to drive that far after Saturday’s escapades on the pavé.

Despite us all saying “never again” I wouldn’t mind heading back and doing it again as long as the weather was the same as this weekends 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

Brother and I are trying to chose between Cyclocross World Champs, Flanders and Roubaix next year…

aP
    Free Member

We went to sector 26, one of the new ones. It was good if dusty. But fortunately when the helicopter hovered in the field ready for them to take the LH corner all the dust blew over David Millar instead.
    I think next year we’re intending to go to Tro Bro Leon instead.
    Got the Greg van Avermaert ride in mid May now.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Brother and I are trying to chose between Cyclocross World Champs, Flanders and Roubaix next year…

Tough choice there.
    I think they’re all must-do trips. I’m quite liking the looks of Flanders next year.

jobro
    Free Member

As nmra says these are must do’s for the discerning gentleman cyclist. Just add the Marmotte, Strada Bianca and Dolomite sportive and you’ve got a full house of wonderment.

Being proper greedy (and now retired) I’m hoping to do all three of your choices next year. And I’ve been given a pass to do them 🙂

toemul
    Free Member

How has no one mentioned the lion’s legend in patons footage? his bro wasn’t bad either.

aP
    Free Member

Done Flanders, Roubaix, Marmotte, and Maratona.
    This year Roubaix, Gravel Dash, Greg van Avermaert, GF Eddy Merckx, Exmouth Exodus and Tuscany Road.
    Might both have qualifying bikes for L’Eroica next year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Paris Roubaix This Weekend?’ is closed to new replies.