Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Paris in uncertain times
  • csb

Anyone in Paris able to reassure me?

Visiting with the family (kids 11 and 8) in a few weeks as they’ve been badgering me for ages. Usual tourist stuff.

Watching the rubbish piling up and the protests hoping that it’s sorted before we go, but selling it as an exciting time to visit.

We’re staying next to the Louvre and I’m assuming it’s fairly routine French disruption rather than dangerous?

survivor

Join in, get some practice…

We could all do with being a little more French when it comes to protesting, they don’t mess about.

funkmasterp

They are world class at protesting and rioting

jimmy748

Just go out between 12.00-2.00 when they are all stopped for lunch.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Just watched Paris Police 1900 on tv.I think compared to that your visit will be relaxing.

plumber
    Free Member

Its usually heavily choreographed and in a contained area

Looks scarier than it is

It would stop me visiting my favorite city

csb

It would stop me visiting my favorite city

Hoping this is a mispell?

yosemitepaul

The rubbish on the streets may be an issue, but my experience of Paris is as Plumber comments, any public order in the city seems to be quite well ‘organised’. That said I certainly wouldn’t want to be going into some of the outlying suburbs, but staying near the Louvre you probably wouldn’t be doing that anyway.
    I’m looking at going again over Easter and see no reason why I should think there would be a problem.
    Go, take the kids and enjoy.

martymac

I 100% support the french spirit re: protesting about stuff they don’t agree with.

csb

Oh I love a protest/demo, and the kids are pretty woke, but it’s a holiday so don’t fancy running battles.

Do find it a bit weird that the young who’d be paying for a return to retirement at 60 (with no realistic prospect of it when they get there) aren’t getting behind the plan to share the pain.

madeupname
    Free Member

Off to Europe with wife and kids at Easter, Paris (staying in Monmatre and planning to wander about for a couple of days) and then train to Germany.

Striking in France is nothing new, didn’t even cross my mind that we’d be at risk of getting caught in any trouble…

I wouldn’t not go to the US because of shootings…

Maybe not some Mexican towns though!

Smelly bins will hopefully be masked by wafts of garlic/Chanel/gauloises anyway

madeupname
    Free Member

Ps might make it back to London for the Extinction Rebellion action if the kids are still feisty at the end of the holiday

Watty

We were there during the Gilets jaunes protests. It was armageddon on the Champs, but go a street or two either side and it was business as usual. It wouldn’t put me off going.

ampthill

My daughter sent us a screen grab of the tv news in France because they had a shot of her boy friend getting tear gassed. The French love so that stuff.

I’m sure sure the protests will be easy to avoid

csb

Looks bad today. Any local updates?

theotherjonv

They are world class at protesting and rioting

They invented it! The word ‘grievance’ potentially comes from greve, which officially means coarse thick sand – but there was a port in Paris called la greve (after the coarse sand on the river beaches at the time) which was the place to go for casual port work, and also the forming up point for the disgruntled when they fancied some good old french barricade burning mischief.

Hence to be ‘en greve’ meant you were going to the port for a bit of a protest, and is now the word for a strike and maybe the source of our grievance.

footflaps

They’ve just started collecting the rubbish in the arrondissement where my French Teacher’s parents live, so things are actually improving. She sent me a photo this morning.

I have a friend there who said they were rioting in the streets below his flat the other night. He seemed rather amused by it….

tuboflard

I was there a couple of weekends ago and my brother lives in the 20e arrondisement. Almost all of the major bother is in the centre and only when it’s gone dark. We saw a few protests and marches but it was very civil and heavily policed. The piles of rubbish were definitely more offensive as were the Parisian inability to pick up dog shit.

csb

The good news is that the Paris rubbish problem appears to have been sorted as all the mounds of it have been set on fire.

csb

Revisiting my thread given recent events. Our Easter trip was wonderful, no rubbish and just a diverted taxi round a protest at the Sorbonne.

Worst bit of Paris was the amount of hoardings around monuments for Olympic sprucing up.

Now wider issues of course. Why oh why do rioters burn their own places, rather than attack the rich?

Scapegoat

It isn’t the rich that shot Nahel, it was a cop. The protests appear to be targeting anything that can be considered to represent the state.

dirkpitt74

Apt timing…..

Daughter is leaving tomorrow night for a weeks Paris school trip….

Itinerary looks like they stay away from the suburbs and are sticking to central Paris.

It’s through PGL so they’re monitoring and will change itinerary as/when needed.

Fingers crossed the rioting stays contained.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Why oh why do rioters burn their own places, rather than attack the rich?

Yes that would make sense. Although what are “the rich”?

csb

what are “the rich”?

Good question comrade.

Simplistically I guess it’s the people and organisations who own the things I can’t afford.

But we all know that’s just stuff and tbe real problem is the establishment who maintain priviledge at the expense of the masses. Banks, private clubs, Tufton st types…

fooman

My daughter is going on Tuesday for a few days it’s unlikely she’ll notice anything as she’s only in tourist areas not suburbs. You just need to be a street or two away to avoid trouble, she’ll be miles. Maybe see a heighted police presence in the capital? Seems to be more vandalism than violence too (if you don’t count that directed towards police) 1300+ arrests is bonkers though.

alpin
    Free Member

Haha…. Read the OP and didn’t look at the time stamp beneath it.

Vive la French and their take no bullshit attitude.

fooman

Lol something is clearly kicking off every few months in Paris! Still 2400 arrested now nationwide now seems a mind bending number.

ransos
    Free Member

Vive la French and their take no bullshit attitude.

Maybe. It doesn’t seem to make them any happier.

bikesandboots

Still 2400 arrested now nationwide now seems a mind bending number.

This does all seem bigger and worse than the previous ones.

I don’t have a good view on who demographically is rioting this time. e.g. before there was the yellow vests unrest, then more recently the pension reform ones. Guardian said 900 arrested one night with an average age of 17, which sounds different.

daveylad
    Free Member

Loving the blinkered view on who is rioting and destroying french towns. Has the guardian not told you all yet?

bikesandboots

I’ve searched and read a variety of news sources and they were the only ones being specific. I’m not a Guardian regular. There are a variety of other claims on Twitter but I take those with a pinch of salt, hence asking here.

Edukator
    Free Member

In my local paper it’s:

il apparaît que le profil des suspects est, dans les grandes lignes, identique : des jeunes, mineurs ou très jeunes majeurs, et qui étaient tous, jusqu’à présent, inconnus de la justice

Use Google translate if you don’t understand, daveylad. Those aspects of the profiles aren’t what you’re interested in though are they.

To the nine other STWers who’ve replied over the last day your observations and comments aren’t unreasonable or blinkered, and I don’t have any more insight than the Guardian, my local paper, Macron or anyone else who isn’t in the thick of it. The thick of it being a twenty minute walk from here we’ve seen and heard nothing.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.