Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Parents with kids, what setup/kit do you use?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

My friends have two girls, 5 and 2 years old. They commute to and from work with the girls and on the occasional longer ride. They are currently on those child seats that connect to the back of the bike and it has worked fine so far except that the older girl’s feet now hang low so they hit the parents feet.

The older girl can ride her own bike but they occasionally do 30mile trips, which is too far. So they want a set up that they can hitch her bike to one of theirs to do part of the journey then let her ride on her own for the rest.

What have you found works for you and what would you recommend?

Bez

The Follow-Me Tandem is pretty much ideal for that usage.

TiRed

Oh, since you asked 😉

They are teens now and The Flying Banana is laid up in the garage for friend, nephew and niece duties.

So I’d recommend a Kiddyback tandem, then add a tagalong later, which is exactly what I did.

igm

Follow me tandem here too. Expensive but good.

winston
    Free Member

Do not under any circumstances buy that awful bar thing that clips to a youngsters bike – they are totally crap

takisawa2

We used the aforementioned awful bar thing & it worked brilliantly. Provided they are fitted & adjusted correctly they are good. I’d happily recommend one.
    You do see a lot of them fitted very poorly though, so I can understand the sweeping generalisation. 🙄

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9TkT5D]29er with trailgator[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Parents with kids

As opposed to parents without kids?

_daveR
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Trek tag along as oldest is too big for our Hamax. Youngest is going into a weeride kangaroo as I was never a fan of the hamax.

tomlevell

I’ve got a Follow Me tandem I’ve just brought back from my sisters in Europe that I’m looking to sell to fund the Nephews next bike as I already have 2 Trailgators I’ve no use for it.

One of these (not the newer looking one with a plastic mudguard.

£160 posted

I can get actual pictures if your interested as I’ve not had a chance yet.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve a proper 2 seater trailer for the nipper (3) that I tow and a trailgator for the older nipper (6) on the wife’s bike, when the older one gets tired she ends up in the trailer.

Trailgator needs some savage torque and I ended up using an inner tube to increase the friction between the bike frame and the gator gubbins otherwise it can lean over.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Parents with kids, what setup/kit do you use?’ is closed to new replies.