Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Parent Governors
  • jonm81

A space has come up on the board of governors for our eldest’s primary school. I am seriously thinking about putting in an application.

Is or has anyone been a Parent Governor? How did you find the role? Do you feel you have/had any influence to improve the school and the opportunities for the children?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Spud

Yes, did 5.5 years at the kids’ primary and got elected at their secondary earlier this year. I was fed-up with the folks that go on out about schools this, teachers that and thought I’d go and find out for myself and contribute. I found it very rewarding, had a great relatiionship with staff and other governors, it is a small primary which helped. Also I am a civil servant and we’re encouraged to volunteer and get time for it which helps with meetings and visits in working hours. Meetings are now more often than when I started and Governing Boards are directed to be skills based too. A good mix with good knowledge of a range of topics is great for being the critical friend a school needs, objectivity, challenge and supporting the leadership. I really enjoyed it but there was a large clash aroudn then with my job, which has settled down and to be fair I missed it. So now both kids are at secondary I thought why not, it’s different as it’s a GB of a MAT so delegated responsibilities (I think most schools are the same now, primary or secondary). But so far so good. I’ve been welcomed, been thrown in helping with COVID risk assessments (fits with my day job) and just appointed link governor for SEN and pupil premium use etc. Both schools are also where I attended so it’s great to continue that link.

There is a lot of induction and training, all provided by the school or LEA. Safeguarding of course, DBS checks. Lots of reading too, but I’m finding there’s less this time round at the secondary, but that maybe becasue I’m familiar with lots of the materials already from DfE/ OFSTED etc.

Have a chat with the Chair of the GB for the school or another parent governor. The one piece of advice I will give above all else is you are there to support, challenge and improve the school, not be the mouthpiece of the playground. I have experienced governors who acted like that and they’re not effective. You need to be objective and not get involved in issues with parents, there are formal routes for that.

Great you want to throw your hat in, if you do and are elected you will enjoy it. Good luck!!

jonm81

Thanks Spud. Sounds just what I am looking for.

I have had a load of involvement in school STEM events when teaching at uni and throught my employment and really enjoyed working with teachers and school kids. I would love to get more involved in the education sector.

My current job revolves around analysing and finding solutions to complex problems then managing the development of the solution. This includes a running bids, managing and evaluating tenders and planning and delivering projects.

I’ll chuck my name in the hat and see how it goes.

sc-xc

I have been a governor at my kids old school now for around 11 years. Started off with a 3 year term as parent governor and found I was a lone dissenting voice. There was a very comfortable relationship between Chair and Head (25+ years) so when I came along and asked questions it ruffled feathers.

Happily, we galvanised and were able to make some long needed changes (so to answer one of your questions, if you are tenacious and don’t mind a bit of a fight – you can do the right thing).

I was then co-opted as a community governor. then did 2 years as vice chair and am currently in my third year as Chair. One of the first things we did when I took the Chair was to implement a ‘two year term, max two terms’ for key positions – we needed to avoid settling back into comfortable arrangements.

In my time as Chair we have taken in house the before/after wraparound provision (effectively the money this generates puts a teacher in front of a class), we have started the process of academisation (the way the LEA have withdrawn pretty much all support has accelerated our decision on this) and become the only school in an X mile radius to get a full roll in Sep just gone – we are a pretty small primary at 1.5 form intake, some of our neighbours are reporting 30ish/45 which has a massive impact on funding.

When I have completed my second 2 year term as Chair I will return to my Community governor role, it is a brilliant, rewarding bit of volunteering.

Key, is the strength of the Head. Ours is fantastic, we have a healthy relationship – challenging but not confrontational, close but not cosy. I see my ‘job’ as helping make sure the teachers can do what they do, the leadership tea do what they do and the kids can enjoy being at school.

Do it It’s ace.

MoreCashThanDash

There was a very comfortable relationship between Chair and Head (25+ years) so when I came along and asked questions it ruffled feathers.

A mate was a Governor at our kids primary school, and was that governor!

MrsMC was a Governor at their secondary school. Enjoyed it a lot, was a struggling school and lots of challenging issues, but stepped down after it merged with a bigger academy group and the existing governors were asked to step aside.

My only word of caution would be discretion about what you do as a governor. Eldest lad was chair of the student council at the same time, and she probably shared more than she should.

Spud

Great to hear OP. I would second what sc-xc says about longevity of folks in roles, at the primary when I was governor, the then chair had been in the role for a over a decade and a governor for a lot longer. He stood down and the current chair, was more or less the chosen one – but then he was able to put the time in that the role required. But yes, the challenge is key, do not be afraid to ask the difficult questions.
    But overall, if you’re committed it is rewarding seeing where you can make a difference to the school, but importantly all the kids there.

jonm81

Cheers for the info chaps. I have a call with the Head and Chair next week to informally talk through the role before applying. From what I have read online and here it sound really rewarding and something I would like to do. I’m pretty sure I will go for it, the only challenge will be getting enough parents to vote for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Parent Governors’ is closed to new replies.