Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Parcel Motel experiences
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just sold a laptop on Ebay and the buyer has given me a parcel motel address. They have paid, I just want to be avoid being ripped off.

If I send signed with compensation and use Ebay to buy the postage, will there be any issues? I haven’t come across parcel motel before and am just a little cautious.

Flaperon

Phone PayPal and ask. Personally, I’d be very uncomfortable posting anywhere other than the PayPal registered address.

Saccades
    Free Member

I use it all the time to get parcels as millions of firms in the UK won’t deliver to Ireland or take the piss with their costings. Quite a few things off here too.

It’s ran by nightline logistics – maybe check with them what happens.

Remember, it never mis-delivered as the person it is addressed to actually picks up from a local depot.

So the chances of someone bring able to take the piss drop massively.

Flaperon

Got to disagree.

1. Use stolen PayPal account details.
    2. Set delivery address to ParcelMotel thing. Pay for PM using same stolen account.
    3. Collect laptop with no human interaction.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’m obviously too innocent/naive.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Got to disagree.

1. Use stolen PayPal account details.
    2. Set delivery address to ParcelMotel thing. Pay for PM using same stolen account.
    3. Collect laptop with no human interaction.

Whilst all these things may be true how does that affect the seller?

I’ve sent a few things to these type places aslong as it seems a reasonable legit company. Once its there you’re done, not your issue as it has been delivered to the delivery address.

Flaperon

Well, if affects the seller because the original owner of the account eventually spots the fraud and tells PayPal, who refund their money. Unfortunately, they don’t refund it from their money, they refund it from *your* money.

And while you can tell PayPal that it’s unfair, when they ask you if you shipped it to the registered, verified address and you say “no, I sent it to a random box somewhere”, you stand no chance of getting that money back. So now you have no money and no laptop.

You can mitigate slightly by maintaining a zero balance in your PayPal account. Eventually PayPal will engage a debt collection agency to harass you, and then take you to court. I don’t know what the success rate is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Parcel Motel experiences’ is closed to new replies.