Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Paranoia or sensible precaution?
  • Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

I recently had a car key with a dead battery replaced by the dealer under warranty (it’s one of the waterproof kind that’s sealed for life). You can, with a bit of effort, open them up and replace the battery yourself if you’re handy with a soldering iron.

The garage didn’t give me the old key back, but also didn’t delete it from the car’s immobiliser. Am I being a bit paranoid here in thinking that there’s potentially a key to my car that’s now disappeared in exactly the place that has the technical skill to reactivate it on a whim along with the address where the car is parked?

I’ve not mentioned this to the dealership since it’s making a pretty blatant accusation of mistrust of their staff but it’s making me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Paranoia

Premier Icon 5thElefant
    Free Member

The former.

Premier Icon garage-dweller

I think you’re probably worrying unnecessarily but I’d politely ask if they could remove it and imo they probably should have done as a matter of good practice.

Just because you’re paranoid…

If it went AWOL from the drive the finger would point straight at them so it’s in their best interests too.

Premier Icon TiRed

Just ask for the key back. Having a third is no bad thing if you lose one of the others. It will be an oversight. And you’ve paid for the new one and own the old one that I assume is still useful in the lock.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Always assume incompetence rather than conspiracy. Ask for it back though if it helps with peace of mind.

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

Even if you get it back what’s to say they didn’t clone it before handing it back!!? 🤔🤔

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Paranoia. There was a case in the U.S. a few years back where a stolen car ring was cloning keys, using someone working in a dealership. They didn’t need the original key to do that. If it was a professional job, I doubt they would make it obvious who did it by not returning the original key.

Premier Icon RobHilton
    Free Member

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you

Premier Icon whytetrash
    Free Member

Ex girlfriend of mine hung around with some lads, one of whom had a hot hatchback that was his absolute pride and joy. One of his mates got a key cut and they drove him nuts by making subtle parking changes, they’d move it one space to left or right in a pub carpark, if he’d reversed in they’d turn it around…. he properly thought he was losing the plot! Final straw was when she hid in the boot and climbed through split rear seat to appear sat in the back as he drove along 😉 he had a proper sense of humour failure about it apparently

Premier Icon Rockhopper
    Free Member

If you had a new key supplied what usually happens is when they code it to the car (or the car to the key depending on the type of car) any keys not present at the time are automatically deleted.
    It does depend on the car though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.