Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Paramedics salaries?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

My wife has been approached by the local paramedic gang, they know shes after work and they thought she was an ideal candidate. Although she hasn't had an interview a maths and english test has been arranged. All this was a bit sudden so there were a few questions left unanswered.

ourmaninthenorth

Paramedics = heroes.

TomB

It's what I do. HPC registered paramedic will generally start at the bottom of Agenda for Change Band 5, but most will add 25% to that salary for unsocial hours working. If your wife is not already qualified, chances are that the first role she would be considered for would be emergency care assistant (band 3) or EMT-1 (band 4) depending on which ambulance trust it is.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Seriously considering applying for the Paramedic-In-Training course. I am pretty much aware of all the positive and negative aspects of the job however my main consideration is do you ever get used to the distressing aspects of the job. Does the service provide you with training/coping strategies to deal with unfortunate parts of the job such as fatal RTA's or is it a case of MTFU.

oldgit
    Free Member

My missus can deal with that, or has dealt with that working in nursing.

andywarner
    Free Member

Just looked at that link – they certainly don't get paid what they're worth.

Drac

Ok first off waht region or you in?

Some regions offer direct entry now in fact more and more do. The old IHCD training is all but phased out now so most have moved to the Degree lead training usually linked with a Uni. Our training is undergoing a huge change and I suspect will lead to big changes with our role in time.

Anyway wandering a bit there. If your in a region that offer the Uni training then you can apply for a job and course as a student Paramedic. Whilst doing this the salary is roughly band top of band 5 but 75% while training and the enter bottom of band 5 when qualified, I think that's right it does vary though region to region for that as there's no real Agenda for Change role for students.

Oldgit with the greatest respect to nurses it's not the same dealing with stuff 'on the street' as it is in Hospitals, there is a lot more direct contact with the relatives and there is no Dr you can ask to help you, it's you and your mate if your working as a crew who now may not even be medically trained.

mundiesmiester, it's a great job been doing it for years now. The job security is the biggest bonus, do you job and you have it for life. As with coping, it's a job you want to do I think and if you want to you can do it. Is it a case of get on with it, not any more not so long ago you were seen as weak if found a job difficult to deal with. Now colleagues are very supportive and the employer should provide you with a counselling service to help.

I've been in for just over 20 years now, about 2 years ago I went through a rough spell and found it difficult to cope after a few jobs I got in a row. It did get to me, moment of weakness? No not really was under pressure from a disciplinary I was involved in as a Team Leader and the jobs reminded me too much of my home life and another was my neighbour who I went to assist when off duty and ended up doing CPR.

Pay is pretty good after a few years as yes there's the shift allowance of 25%, holidays build up with years of service to about 11 weeks after 15 years. Of course there's the pension too, although not as strong as it was is still pretty good. The conditions in general for sickness and the such are good. Of course it's not perfect but compared to much of the private sector it's good.

Think that's it but fire more questions if you want.

nonk
    Free Member

Good grief i would have had a punt at it being around ten more than that.

Drac

Just read that prospects site, that's not too bad a of a sum up really.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bedfordshire.
    She was nursing at Stoke Mandeville.
    Critical care ward?
    Then with the elderly, which was the hardest for her, life and death and all that.
    Most recently with addicts, alcholics etc.
    She retired through Ill health, but is now looking again. She was looking for something more in administration, but this offer has got her going 😕

Drac

Ok East Ambualnce then who do the Paramedic programme.

http://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/work-for-us/student-ambulance-paramedic

If she's afters something Admin based then she should stay clear but I know what your saying. I don't want to pry but the ill health retirement thing she wants to take into consideration, it's mentally and physically demanding job. Long shifts, lots of driving and the kind of stuff you can deal with put a demand on things. Most staff once they approach mid fifties have really had enough and look to get out ASAP, not all mind as it is a state of mind thing too. The job is getting tougher with government targets needing met now putting pressure on the crews themselves.

However, the upsides are well worth it. Through out your shift you're your own boss as long as you get to the job, do what's expected then you'll not hear a word from anyone. Meeting and working with people is great to, there's way more nicer people out there then unpleasant ones. Drving of course is great fun and something you just don't get bored of.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

YGM Drac

qwerty
    Free Member

great job, you get to travel, meet nice people and kill them 😆

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Olgit, if she currently claims her pension then restaring work may have an impact, AFAIK if someone has retired from the NHS and claims pension you can only earn up to a certain amount before your pension income decreases.

Thought I'd mention it as your obviously looking at income etc if your wife goes ahead with it.

Has she also got the C/D classes on her driving licence?

Drac

Good point about the pension there forgot about that. The licence part won't really matter as part of the training but they do look at it.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Salary never seems enough for roles like this, or other 'important' jobs like a&e docs, pilots, – especially when you have to read about idjeet football players earning more in a month than some people could hope to earn in a lifetime

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Paramedics salaries?’ is closed to new replies.