Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Paralympics – anyone else really looking forward to it?
  • hora
    Free Member

The Olympics really didn’t do anything for me. However I’m getting more and more excited following the series of programmes on C4 following the British Athletes stories. Wow. To me this is the real Olympic spirit. Inspirational.

I’ve no qualms in buying at Sainsbury’s either. 😀

khani
    Free Member

Me…should be good! That film on telly the other night about how they started was superb as well…
    Those paralympians are proper hard!!! And could give most able bodied people a lesson in determination and hard graft..
    I used to ride with a GB hand cyclist and he could destroy me on a ride….

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, mainly for the reasons cited above. Some of those guys come across as incredibly tough. That documentary on the basketballs players was shocking, they get beaten up seriously in every match. It’s awe-inspiring.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s always superb IMO. We have tickets for nearly every session in the velodrome and 2 for wheelchair basketball. I agree with the TV slogan – “Meet the superhumans”
    I might see if there’s any other tickets going still, actually.

hora
    Free Member

I might see if there’s any other tickets going still, actually.

I was thinking this.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Loved the Olympics, love the Paralympics – the drama doc from BBC2 should be required viewing at schools.

Karinofnine

Me! The athletes are amazing – just shows what can be done with the right attitude.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I`ve tickets for myself and the kids for the swimming next week,so looking forward to it very much.

hora
    Free Member

Liz Johnson is quite nice 8)

andyl
    Free Member

I wish I could go and live in the Olympic Park for the duration and watch everything. Inspirational athletes.

Going to watch some of the equestrian (I volunteer for the RDA teaching kids to ride), basketball and have an evening session watching athletics.

Really wanted to watch the rugby, swimming and archery too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

got a paralympian who trains down the gym in the mornings with me, his guide dog is one of my favourite dogs. harder in mind, body and spirit than anyone else who uses the gym by a long way!

loddrik
    Free Member

Nope, none whatsoever. I remember a few years ago on radio 5 a prominent sports journalist said something about the Paralympics that has an element of truth but very few would admit to, I was surprised to hear it but I kind of agree. That there is an element of pity that able bodied people feel whilst watching disabled athletes, there but for the grace of god and all that…

khani
    Free Member

🙄 here we go…
    You’re such a ray of sunshine…. 😕

ransos
    Free Member

That there is an element of pity that able bodied people feel whilst watching disabled athletes, there but for the grace of god and all that…

Mind reader, eh? I feel humbled and inspired by them.

I have tickets for the rowing next saturday, and am really looking forward to it.

hels
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Channel 4 stopping incessantly hammering the same commercials for the Paralympics. Has put me off watching it at all, frankly. All channel 4 shows I watch now recorded for later viewing.

loddrik
    Free Member

But then wasn’t looking forward to the Olympics either.

khani
    Free Member

Have you thought its because your just naturally a (no offence) miserable bugger… It’s ok if you are, but try look on the bright side now and then…
    And wash that mingling pillowcase… Proper eeeewwwwww…..

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be ‘inspirational’ and all that, but a lot of people will watch it and feel sorry for many of the participants.

loddrik
    Free Member

And btw, the pillowcase is clean, just discoloured, not going to let the cats sleep on the good ones…

hora
    Free Member

On Pity. I watched this chap last night

I’ve ridden horses. I found it quite demanding on your legs and core.

For him to master, beat able-bodied riders at national level on a horse thats broke his back (last year) is amazing. He has 5% muscle in his legs and no hes not strapped to the horse either.

khani
    Free Member

Edited because loddriks a big (miserable) softy really I reckon… 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m not knocking the participants, they are very admirable for their triumphs over adversity, it’s only natural to feel a little sorry for some of them.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Today the paralympians are our inspirational sporting heroes overcoming adversity. Tomorrow the Department of Snide Innuendo will be asking them why, if they do so well at sport, are they still claiming benefit and not working.

hora
    Free Member

I’d feel sorry for a young woman or man sat in a wheelchair following an accident.

I feel nothing of this for these people. Kind of leftfield, would you have felt sorry for Douglas Bader or admiration?

philconsequence
    Free Member

if i wanted to feel sorry for people i’d watch the x-factor auditions. if i want to feel inspired and humbled by the strength of others… i’d watch the paralympics.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m just articulating a pint of view, I wouldn’t expect anyone else to be seen to express any sympathy with that view on a public forum, as it wouldn’t be the right thing to do would it.

But it’s an emotion that many will experience whilst watching the games, whether they’re prepared to admit it to themselves, let alone others, is a different matter…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

if i wanted to feel sorry for people i’d watch the x-factor auditions. if i want to feel inspired and humbled by the strength of others… i’d watch the paralympics.

Agreed.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m just articulating a pint of view

No, you’re assuming that we feel the same way you do.

grum
    Free Member

got a paralympian who trains down the gym in the mornings with me, his guide dog is one of my favourite dogs. harder in mind, body and spirit than anyone else who uses the gym by a long way!

His dog is harder in mind, body and spirit than anyone else that uses the gym by a long way? 🙂

Loddrik – I imagine if any of the Paralympians knew you they would probably pity you. 😛

loddrik
    Free Member

Loddrik – I imagine if any of the Paralympians knew you they would probably pity you.

I wouldn’t doubt that for a second.

theotherjonv

Why should i feel pity for someone who could whup my fat ass in just about any activity that i could consider? I don’t pity them at all – I’m jealous of their dedication, spirit and tenacity. bastards, the lot of them.

I suffered with dusty room syndrome repeatedly during the Olympics, I’ve got a mop and a bailing pump on standby for the next two weeks.

philconsequence
    Free Member

whether they’re prepared to admit it to themselves, let alone others, is a different matter…

sounds creepily familiar to when racists say ‘i’m only saying what everyone is thinking but scared to admit’

rogerthecat
    Free Member

would you have felt sorry for Douglas Bader or admiration?

Read his life story, it’s the poor German’s trying keep him captive, and to deal with the bombastic, argumentative, persistent, egomaniac on a day to day basis, for whom I feel the most pity.

As probably all of the Paralympians could beat me hands down in a head to head competition, all I feel is admiration and respect.

loddrik
    Free Member

For all their ability and dedication etc, I’ll bet every one of them would give it up to become able bodied, either again or for the first time.

ski
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

Could not put it better myself

khani
    Free Member

If you ever actually meet any of them in real life (which I have) believe me you won’t be feeling sorry for, or pitying them..
    They’ll blow you away with their lust for life and determination to win, I rode with a hand cyclist for a bit,..and the only person he made me feel sorry for was me….

loddrik
    Free Member

sounds creepily familiar to when racists say ‘i’m only saying what everyone is thinking but scared to admit’

And closet racists are everywhere, I’ll bet there are hundreds on this very forum, but we’ll never know…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That there is an element of pity that able bodied people feel whilst watching disabled athletes

Well I don’t. I don’t even see a disability to be honest. I think a disability is more of a frame of mind than a physical limitation. Those that give up on life have my pity. The ones that sit and do nothing for the rest of their lives.
    There’s an interview on YouTube of Tanni Grey- Thompson where she explains that to her, getting a wheelchair when she could no longer walk wasn’t giving up, but giving her the freedom she needed. Everyone else thought the wheels were bad, something to be avoided. That pretty much sums it up for me.

khani
    Free Member

Here endeth the thread…..
    Edit…or not…

loddrik
    Free Member

The journalist was Patrick Barclay btw…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Paralympics – anyone else really looking forward to it?’ is closed to new replies.