Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Paralympic Opening Ceremony
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Unless I can’t find it, doesn’t appear to be a thread on the Opening Ceremony, which after the epic Olympic Opening ceremony one, seems a bit of a bad show

Anyway, so far, so good

Cougar

I did wonder.

Enjoyed Stephen Hawking and the Mary Poppins tribute.

Cougar

“Please stand, for those who can” – beautiful.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Erm, bit of a somber version of the national anthem

bruk

Was working when the Olympic one was happening and still haven’t got round to watching it on Iplayer.

Enjoying this so far, hope it may be a little less British than the Olympic one as several foreign friends were lost by much of it.

Cougar

Erm, bit of a somber version of the national anthem

Very good, I thought; better that than some precocious prepubescent or warbling woman.

molgrips
    Free Member

I liked the nice choral arrangement. You can polish a turd after all.

speed12
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought it was great – nice to hear the second verse as well, don’t think I’ve ever heard it at a sporting event before!

Is it just me, or was it a bit short before the athletes started coming in? Unless there is more after they come in rather than before I suppose. Might just be me…Quite liked it though!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

One hell of a lot of inspirational people there

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is it just me, or was it a bit short before the athletes started coming in? Unless there is more after they come in rather than before I suppose. Might just be me…Quite liked it though!

That’s what I thought, but hoping this one’s going to be more about the athletes this time (but really enjoyed the Danny Boyle do)

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just found out an ex of mine is in the wheelchair basketball team! Turns out she lost a leg due to cancer at 21.

Sarah McPhee

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Some right hotties in the Belarus team!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just had a look and the Olympic opening ceremony thread had 867 comments. We really should put a better effort in people, these athletes deserve our attention just as much as the able bodied ones!

cheese@4p

great to see so many happy people

stumpy01

Well, I missed the start as I wanted to get a bit of a training ride in so did a lap of Rutland Water.

I pushed hard but grumbled every time I encountered a headwind.
    I cursed to myself that my rear mech needs some attention.
    I wondered what the ache in my knee was.
    I got frustrated when I got soaking wet feet splashing through large puddles right near the end of my ride.

I got home, unpacked the bike from the car & rushed in to put the opening ceremony on. Suddenly I don’t feel like grumbling about headwinds, rear mechs, my achy knee or wet feet.

Jesus, these people are massively inspiring…I will remember them next time I go on a ride & consider being unhappy with my lot.

bruk

My wife is at the ceremony. She was lucky enough to be at the Olympic one too. 1 of the benefits of working the Para/Olympics.

The adverts are a bit annoying but at least its just the parade we are missing.

I’m guessing by all the seats in the middle that the show will continue after the parade. Either that or Danny Boyle left a note saying all the money was gone too!

Markie
    Free Member

The commentary is atrocious!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh its on 4, sorry, iI looked early but idly assume its just wasn’t goin to be on, I am slowly penetrating the wall of adverts, I’m through… and its crashed…

cbike
    Free Member

The Floor cloth has major trip hazards for the able bodied, never mind any one blind or in a chair.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Djibouti????

cbike
    Free Member

Hurray Claire balding!

montylikesbeer

massively impressed with the whole thing, make me so proud to live in a world where equality is now normal

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Clare Balding on 4?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Clare Balding is omnipresent

cbike
    Free Member

Do we need to know about everyone’s civil wars on such an occasion?

theflatboy
    Free Member

my missus was offered to codirect this as she used to work with one of the ceremony directors. we know loads of the people involved, including the girl in the air when McKellen was talking and the audio describers on more4. there is a lot more to come after the parade, i’m reliably informed!

Cougar

Christ, Germany is comfortable with its sexuality these days.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

‘Ice Cream Salesman’s hats’

‘Would you call that Pink or Cerise?’

Epically bad commentating

stumpy01

I agree with Cougar, regarding Germany. And just to bring this back down to the usual STW level – Germany appears to have quite a lot of hottie athletes….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

hottie athlete

Pink or Blue?

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m looking out for the South African swimmer who lost a leg protecting his younger brother in a shark attack when they were training.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19336498

Cougar

Iraq are nuts (-:

Cougar

Heh, so are Ireland.

stumpy01

piedi di formaggio – Member

Pink or Blue?

Can’t remember who was wearing what, but I was referring to the Laydeeez.

Not sure if that was a take on another two-colour phrase almost the same, but not quite and a bit rude, so will discreetly change the subject….

OOOOH, look! It’s Ireland!!!! Over there…..

PrinceJohn

Some good music used in the adverts….

Regarding the ceremony – disappointed they didn’t use Mint Royale’s singing in the rain remix rather than Rhianna’s umbrella – certainly more appropriate to the weather here…

yoshimi

Could live without the adverts for the opening ceremony, but looking forward to all the coverage:)

PrinceJohn

Could live without the adverts for the opening ceremony, but looking forward to all the coverage:)

+1,000,000

Makes you realise how good the BBC coverage actually is….

fatboyslo
    Free Member

It’s a bit hard to find things to talk about while athletes are coming in but I like the insight from the Canadian co commentator,
    Am loving the smiles on all the atheletes and Mexico are by far the brightest outfits so far.
    Can’t wait to see GB enter, wonder if it’ll be to Heroes again,

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m heading down on Friday morning to watch my mate in the Kilo

Jon Butterworth

He has been a bellend and mouthed off in the press this week though.

DezB
    Free Member

How long have those folk in blue and yellow been dancing? They must be knackered!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Paralympic Opening Ceremony’ is closed to new replies.