Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pappy Van Winkle – Bourbon content
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To the local, for a swift sharpener after driving back in to town. A nice half of Baby’s Got a Temper from Tiny Rebel. Lovely woody, IPA.

While there, we chatted about other stuff, and I was then given a measure of this to try;

Linky.

23 year old, 95.6% proof Bourbon.

Now, I’m not a Bourbon drinker, but this? WOW! Glorious.

So, Bourbon drinkers – What else should I try? What to have in the cupboard?

Cougar

Maker’s Mark.

You’re welcome.

(Oh, on a point of pedantry, it’s either 96% or 96 proof; “96% proof” is meaningless. Arguably, ‘proof’ is pretty meaningless anyway because the Americans (of course) use a different system for working it out, they just double the ABV.)

scaredypants

oh go on then – further pedantry attempt:

isn’t it degrees proof ?

Cougar

I think you might be right, actually.

Archaic system now anyway, unless you’ve got a ready supply of gunpowder to test your drinks with.

Cougar

Ah, you’re mostly right, I just looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof

TL;DR version – It is degrees proof, except in the US. Land of the free, home of the bourbon and wacky measuring systems.

Cougar

Incidentally, veering back on topic,

That particular bourbon can be quite hard to find. You did bloody well to find it in a local. I’ve never seen it in this country outside of Whisky Live events.

EDIT – further reading.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That particular bourbon can be quite hard to find. You did bloody well to find it in a local.

My local’s not like other locals! 🙂

So, apart from Maker’s Mark, what else to try?

spacehopper

Jack Daniels 1914 Gold Medal

Noahs Mill 57% but SO nice…

Sazerac Rye

Jim Beam Small Batch (if you can find it!)

jim Beam Green Label

and im a big fan of Bulleit bourbon which can be found in most supermarkets..

the list is endless really!

Cougar

jim Beam Green Label

That’s the rye one, isn’t it? A lot of people rave about rye whiskey; personally, I thought it was absolutely grim. YMMV, might be worth a try.

mattk
    Free Member

Woodford reserve is good. Also although not really bourbon, I’m enjoying a bottle of gentleman jack, real smooth and less burn but with the smoky/woody taste of bourbon.

sam42
    Free Member

Had the pappy van winkle’s family reserve in blind tiger in bury.. It was rather expensive but a lovely tipple.. I believe there may be a bottle behind the bar in malt in bury also. Can’t think of any further suggestions other than the above listed ones….

spacehopper

That’s the rye one, isn’t it? A lot of people rave about rye whiskey; personally, I thought it was absolutely grim. YMMV, might be worth a try.

no Jim Beam Rye is the yellow label…

green label is ‘jim beam choice’ bourbon thats 5 years old and charcoal filtered..

Cougar

Gotcha, I’m misremembering then. I’ll look out for that. As you were.

philbert31
    Free Member

Jack Daniels Single Barrel isn’t bad either!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pappy Van Winkle – Bourbon content’ is closed to new replies.