Paper Planes

Home Forum Chat Forum Paper Planes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Paper Planes
  • Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Used to make ones at school that had a separate tail section tucked into a fairly short, multi-folded, wide and heavy front end

They were great

mogrim

Not hard to make that type, although my favourites are the tubular type of paper plane – usually fly well and surprise people who aren’t used to them.

I usually make them like this: http://blackwatchmuseum.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/science-in-the-museum-make-your-own-spinning-paper-plane/

Edit: not mentioned on the page, but the way you build them depends on whether you’re left or right handed…

… but different varieties are available, here’s one: http://thesassyhomemaker.com/2010/02/17/how-to-make-a-paper-airplane-that-actually-flies/

bencooper

Used to know loads of designs – there are some that have stubby wide wings with a tightly folded nose that work very well.

My English teacher at school could fold one out of tissue paper that would sit in the thermal rising off his head – he could walk down a corridor with this thing hovering over him.

stumpy01

The bog standard paper plane I make is a typical dart with quite a heavy nose. If it’s folded accurately it will go miles and can be given a real heave to get it going.

When I used to steward at The Oval years ago I was in the main grandstand and people were getting bored of the match and starting to chuck paper planes on the pitch. They were all rubbish, so I explained to a couple of teenagers how to make this design and they ended up getting them a real distance onto the pitch.

I like the hooped design too. People never believe it will fly until they see it.

compositepro

In the midst of a hilarious team meeting yesterday one of the team constructed a paper plane that looked fiendishly complicated to make. To my astonishment it flew fantastically, it glided for about 10 seconds doing two maybe 3 circuits of the room. He made it quite short and stubby but with big wings. Anyone else have this ability?

so you work in Airbus aerodynamics department

zokes

I made one that once caught what I assume was a thermal and just flew* off over some trees

*and I mean flew, as opposed to just being blown like a piece of paper

Pigface

In the midst of a hilarious team meeting yesterday one of the team constructed a paper plane that looked fiendishly complicated to make. To my astonishment it flew fantastically, it glided for about 10 seconds doing two maybe 3 circuits of the room. He made it quite short and stubby but with big wings. Anyone else have this ability?

lilchris

doing two maybe 3 circuits of the room

Was a window open?

If not, it sounds like a failure….

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Aw thought this was gonna be about MIA

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

all I wanna do is *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* and take your money 😆

When I were a nipper I sent off for the blue peter book on paper planes, loop the loop, glider, stunt glider, “concorde” (not at all realistic) spinners, seaplane, pretty sure there was a “vtol” one aswell. reckon I could still make a few.

theflatboy

The DFA remix is a beaut.

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

I had those 2 books. The flying water bomb was a work of art.

johndoh

My English teacher at school could fold one out of tissue paper that would sit in the thermal rising off his head – he could walk down a corridor with this thing hovering over him.

All kinds of brilliant.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I have two in my desk at work, made of ultra thin foam slices, that will fly ‘forever’. You just push them along on a wave of air. It is great way of livening up the office on Friday afternoon, as everyone can take a turn. Record was a 15min coffee break without plane touching floor, and all but one person in office of 40 joining in at least once.. 8)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZN1-diDjU[/video]
    We have also messed around with tumblewings with kids as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Paper Planes’ is closed to new replies.