Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Panniers for commuting – which flavour of Ortlieb or something else?
  • reluctantlondoner

Finally! Now with a sensible commute distance and better weather the time has come to invest in some panniers for commuting – what does everyone use or recommend?

I’m assuming I’ll use Ortlieb, but I’m not sure whether the city specific ones are any better?

I’ll need to use the pair as I have loads to schlep – laptop, gym clothes and two or three meals to carry with me each day.

All recommendations welcome. Thank you.

Kieran

After trying many different brands and price points for touring on a tandem with the missus I eventually spent some seriouse money and bought two pairs of Ortlieb Classic panniers.

There is only one description: Brilliant

Others flop around, leak, wear, difficulty to attach, difficult to release, awkward to carry off the, all things the Ortlieb’s are just brilliant at.

The only small negative (apart from price) is they are slightly heavier than some other, but when you see the quality you will understand why.

I now use one of my four for commuting duties even though its a bit too big.

ransos
    Free Member

I have the Ortlieb roller classics – after five years of daily use, I’ve worn a small hole in a corner. I don’t think that’s too bad, plus they do repair kits.

rootes1

you could I reckon get all that in a carradice long flap camper (depending on the size of meals and gym stuff.

do you not leave gym stuff at work?

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I have a Ortlieb classic and it is cavernous. I’ve managed on a normal day (clothes left at work) with just a caradice junior.

jamiep
    Free Member

very happy with the Classic. I think well worth the investment

Aidy
    Free Member

2 or 3 meals to carry a day? Sure it wouldn’t be easier to just move into the office? 🙂

I’d be very surprised if you really needed a pair (although two are useful to have). I get a week’s worth of changes of clothes and then some into a single pannier.

Go with Ortlieb. I think I’d be pretty tempted by a set of Back Rollers. Don’t underestimate how useful a carrying strap is.
    I’ve a Downtown for “smarter” commuting duties. Really like it, the only things I’d say are that the closure mechanism isn’t amazingly well thought out, and there’s no “give” in the material (meaning you can’t force that extra thing in).

nedrapier

worth a look at Caradice.

I’ve got a seatpost mounted SQR Slim that clips onto a block on the seatpost. 15 litres, 10kgs max.

rootes1

^ her slim is good shape for larger laptops – I have a Tour which is more square so will not take a larger machine they hold a lot though and the SQR system is very stable

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I use a Topeak MTX TrunkBag EXP for my commute. I’ve had it a good few years now and it generally carries: work clothes, gym kit, laptop and lunch etc (so quite a bit).

It still looks pretty much like new (despite being brushed against walls etc frequently). The quick mounting system is perfect for commuting (i’m always in a rush) and I’ve even used it off-road on the MTB for bike-packing while bulging at the seams with no ill effects.

reluctantlondoner

Thanks – seems like Ortlieb are the way to go.

I go to the gym/yoga before work and then tend to work quite long hours unfortunately, so carrying loads of food is the only way to avoid eating the wrong things (gluten is not my friend).

And as I work in a trendy open plan office, storing things is a royal PITA so easier to carry.

Right – time to hit Wiggle and get ordering.

Aidan
    Free Member

Also a fan of Ortlieb Classic Rollers.

I’d give serious thought to carrying your laptop on your back. Riding without a backpack is nice, but panniers get a hell of a lot of vibration.

jamiep
    Free Member

Right – time to hit Wiggle and get ordering.

I bought mine from Spa Cycles, which were cheapest at that time

ransos
    Free Member

I’d give serious thought to carrying your laptop on your back. Riding without a backpack is nice, but panniers get a hell of a lot of vibration.

My wife uses an Altura briefcase pannier with a special compartment and padded insert for the laptop. It’s really well protected in there.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love my Ortleibs’

tonyd

I have the Ortlieb backroller plus. Nothing to compare them to but they’re excellent – very roomy, waterproof, durable, and easy to get on/off.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use Altura Dryline 56 panniers with no problems.

TiRed

Ortlieb Downtown, but you will also need a backroller for gym stuff. My Downtown leaves the mountings on the rack. It’s not a gimick, the bag then functions as a normal (knee-friendly briefcase)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Panniers for commuting – which flavour of Ortlieb or something else?’ is closed to new replies.