Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 488 total)
  • Panic buying because of Coronavirus – genuine question
  • phil5556

Panic bought a turbo, in swift before the lock 😉

We have too 🤣
    Just hope the cassette turns up before the couriers stop working!

andy5390

We found some yeast in the back of the cupboard this evening so we’re going to try and make bread tomorrow…. I’m not expecting it to go that well.

Knead it till your arms are dropping off, then another 10-15 minutes, then let it rise. Add sesame/pumpkin seeds to the mix, adds a little nutty-ness to the flavour

Northwind

sweepy

I can’t remember all the way back through this thread, is there anyone actually admitting to panic buying or stockpiling?

I went out and did a normal shop, nearly managed anyway but just as I was going around someone ripped open the last box of bags of rice- like, properly crazy person ripped it open like it was a race- and I felt compelled to get a bag. So that’s us fully stockpiled, one bag rice.

Daffy

Totally normal in my local Large Tesco this morning at 6am. Not loads of stuff, but they had toilet roll, paracetamol, pasta, eggs, flour, tinned tomatoes, beer/wine, olive oil, etc.

Saying that, there wasn’t a lot of stock of anything, so by 10:00, it’s mostly all going to be gone.

Early bird and all that.

MrOvershoot

Please lets pray for Binners
    Look after yourself Adam
    Greggs to close 🙁

lunge

Spoke to the manager at our local Aldi today and he reckons the worst of the panic buying is over. Said it’s starting to feel like either the message that we’re not going to run out is getting through or that people just have no room left.
    The shelves weren’t bulging there but there was some of everything.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You do not want to face the wrath of my bunghole

CountZero

My g/f works at one of the local B&M stores, they’ve implemented a one in, one out policy, and limits on certain products, and things are a lot easier for the staff now – she was coming home exhausted trying to deal with the stupidity of the buying public.
    A friend of mine has just got back from a holiday in India, and she and her husband were watching news reports from the U.K. out there, just looking at each other and going “w t actual f is going on? What’s got into people, and wtf is it with the bog rolls!?”
    I told her that half the population is panic buying bog rolls, the other half can’t figure out why!

phil5556

I told her that half the population is panic buying bog rolls, the other half can’t figure out why!

I’m going to end up looking like one of the crazy bog roll hoarders, we’ve got enough, just a normal amount. But it’ll run out eventually and then I’ll have to go to the supermarket to buy only bog roll, it’s the only thing I don’t think I can get anywhere else.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Haven’t you heard the worlds bog roll supply comes from one factory in Wuhan, makes you think eh……

Spare room fill it to the ceiling, the garage, the loft, the shed, the outhouse and in STW fashion the servants quarters.

Kryton57

Haven’t you heard the worlds bog roll supply comes from one factory in Wuhan, makes you think eh……

stop spreading lies Chester, it doesn’t help people.  Everyone only needs to do a quick google to find out that the UK is a major producer and exporter of bog roll and supplies are stacked to rafters, even considering that, they can produce more in one day than we need straight off the line.

There a consensual moratorium on fake news for others peoples well being it’d be helpful if you could observe it.

tops5
    Free Member

Wow! Sense of humour failure!

MrOvershoot

Well the panic buying seems to have stopped here at least.
    Aldi @ 11:30am all the shelves pretty much full, even my usual wine was plentiful & toilet roll aplenty 🙂

Last week I was finding it hard to find much at all but that might be as I was shopping around 6:30pm after work.
    I’m on holiday this week so can at least go in the middle of the day.

enigmas
    Free Member

Definitely seems a lot better in Bristol shops now. Aldi has pretty much everything yesterday at 3pm. Except paracetamol which is proving a pain as I’m on it near constantly for a broken leg at the moment. My partner’s NHS so she’s been popping into the local sainsburys during their NHS hour on the way to work thankfully.

My main concern at the moment is our freezer has been on the ropes for a while and as mentioned on the previous page everywhere is either closed or completely out of stock of them!

dogbone

BS6 Waitrose had a queue around the block this morning. Instead my wife went to local greengrocer (only 3 people waiting) and an Express Tesco opposite.

Lager delivery expected later..

Dickyboy

Same here, Mrs went for first shop in tescos since the start of panic buying this morning and all reasonably stocked just a bit less on the shelves than normal. Toilet roll pasta etc all available.

Kryton57

Same here, Mrs went for first shop in tescos since the start of panic buying this morning and all reasonably stocked just a bit less on the shelves than normal. Toilet roll pasta etc all available.

Exactly this on our local Sainsbury except I grabbed the last bottle of Ketchup, and wine/beer were very low.  You could see stocks were lower than usual but I’ve done a complete weekly shop, avoided the temptation to put “extra”s in the basket.

Top tip, the Sainburys App is brilliant, scan and pack as you go with your phone then walk up to the self checkout avoiding the long 2m x 2m queues to pay and walk out.

However, not everybody is avoiding the social distancing rules despite being announced regularly on the tannoy, so many ignorant or selfish people.

baboonz
    Free Member

Buying to have 2-3 weeks of good healthy food as a reserve is not panic buying. Just build your reserve gradually.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Just back from Tesco and the queues are outside because of the limit on customers in store. Great when the suns shining but less optimal when it’s slashing down.

Shelves still pretty bare, but got everything with substitutions. No chance of flour though.

Baking with the kids will have to wait.

Woody
    Free Member

Asda Aberdeen 0730 this morning as wide awake and not much else to do! First visit to a supermarket for over a week and not bad apart from a moron who tried to queue jump (all of 8 people) and then had a hissy fit when told to get to the back and promptly left.

Not so clever inside, as despite arrows and markers, people standing right beside each other gazing at the shelves, with staff the worst offenders. Check out was also a shambles re ‘distancing’ and not helped by stroppy checkout woman who was insisting people got closer to each other AND her at the till! God knows how bad it must be when it’s actually busy!

Plenty of everything on shelves though.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll have to go to the supermarket to buy only bog roll, it’s the only thing I don’t think I can get anywhere else.

At the height of the supermarket panic buying last week, local corner shops and the village shops round here were boasting of having loo roll available.

TiRed

Just build your reserve gradually.

I think you’ll find the population has been doing that since WW2. Not in cupboards either, we have our own self-carriage facilities.

IGMC

matt_outandabout

I went this morning to our local Tesco for usual weekly shop.

Seems folk are still panic buying – checkout was saying that a lot of folk are coming in when the truck does a delivery and buying three of everything…

anagallis_arvensis

Yesterday i felt dead posh buying expensive chopped tomatoes not the tesco value ones.

Couldnt get yeast still or pasta or polenta or hand sanitiser or chapati flour.

I did buy a smart turbo from my lbs though that was certainly a panic buy!!

cinnamon_girl

Haven’t done a food shop for 2 weeks. Daughter has ordered me not to go out and to order online instead. Haven’t yet investigated that but not much good if I have to wait a month. Zero waste shop has temporarily closed so that means more from the supermarket.

Amazon Pantry – anyone used? Will investigate local delivery services but when you’re a one person household you don’t want masses of stuff especially with having a small freezer.

Simon

Are any of you managing to get groceries delivered?
    I’ve just had a look at ASDA deliveries for my postcode and there aren’t any available slots for the next 2 weeks.

Caher

Tried, Sainsbury’s, Ocado, and Morrison’s and they’re all fully booked up for both collections and delivery.

cinnamon_girl

‘Click and collect’ ?

johndoh
    Free Member

My local Asda has C&C available in the second week of April and that’s it, none of the others have anything on C&C or delivery at all. Thankfully I booked our regular weekly shops with Tesco so we are sorted until 14 April although I do think we may run out of some bits as we are regularly not being able to get some items. I am now feeling relieved we did buy one extra big pack of toilet roll, tinned tuna, pasta, plain flour and baked beans around the time I started this thread.

I am pleased that our girls have tried (and liked) some new meals we have been doing now we are on a slightly restricted diet.

doris5000

went to local Tesco Express at about 9.30 – still surprisingly bare shelves. No tomatoes, pasta, flour, very little meat and hardly any veg. No bog roll obviously. I bought enough to get us through the next 3 or 4 days but i was surprised how sparse it still was. On the plus side, everyone was very well behaved re social distancing, and they have a little ‘cleaning station’ next to the baskets so you can wipe the handles of your basket before you start

doris5000

it makes you look at your cupboards in a new light though. tonight i’ll be using up the chestnuts and sausage meat that’s still in the freezer from Xmas

weeksy

I managed to get an ASDA slot on the 11th April. Nothing else anywhere before then though.

We’ll likely have to brave the Supermarket before then i think, or at the very least our village shop.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seems to have settled down a bit here, wee Tesco extra well stocked, Hopefully that’ll continue.

peekay

they have a little ‘cleaning station’ next to the baskets so you can wipe the handles of your basket before you start

Oh, you poor things…. Our local Waitrose has somebody employed to spray and wipe the baskets and trolleys for us. They also insist on pressing the lift buttons to save customers doing so.

LeeW

RDL-82
    Free Member

Can’t say the same about Asda Eastlands.
    Just on way home after called after work. Still pretty much empty shelves for a lot of stuff.
    Not sure what it’s like at 8am when it opens but if you need to go later on it seems it’s still not so great.

Thinking it’s that big people are just assuming it’s going to have what they need.

tinribz
    Free Member

Seems this is the wrong month to want to upgrade to some heavier plates and dumbells.

Can’t find a single place online that has any in stock.

Now I’m forced to physically move the ones I have from one bar to the next between exercises.

And it doesn’t look as good in the mirror using lots of smaller plates compared to fewer big ones.

I guess this is what you call taking one for the team. 🙁

dantsw13

I’ve heard of Sainsbury’s delivery’s being poor with lots missing – I get that as they pick from stores.

Does anyone know if Ocado deliveries are better? We’ve got one coming Sunday and I’ve been self isolating for 10 days so far, so really need a good full shop.

matt_outandabout

We are now down to the last few rolls in a family of 5….

According to an acquaintance who works the tills at Tesco they have a neighbour, single, over 60 who has 6no. 24roll bog rolls in his garage, hidden behind the stack of tins and pasta… I may need to do some garage breaking in soon…

thepurist

This morning at a town centre Sainso’s there was a 10 min well behaved queue to get in but I got 90%+ of what I was after if not exactly the brand/pack I’d normally buy. Frozen food, tinned stuff, bog roll and soap were the obvious holes but eggs, meat, pasta etc all available. The only issue with social distancing was where they’re redeveloping the high street so pedestrian access is via 2 narrow corridors down each side.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Panic buying because of Coronavirus – genuine question’ is closed to new replies.