Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 340 total)
  • Pandemic of soccerball season 2020/21
  • Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

I can’t believe the fuss that’s been made of it to be honest, its a bad tackle, but there have been many worse, it isn’t an assault and anyone using that word to describe it needs to get a grip. If that is assault, the Mane tackle on Ederson a couple of seasons ago was attempted murder.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

That was very spursy of Spurs.

How Loris got his fingertips on that is beyond me. How his fingertips are still attached is also a mystery. That had almost as much pace as Roberto Carlos’ 40 yard free kick.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Ok so I’ll run up to you on the street and do that MSP and you’ll be fine with it presumably? Seeing as the ball was nowhere to be seen it definitely wasn’t a tackle.

If that is assault, the Mane tackle on Ederson a couple of seasons ago was attempted murder.

Dictionary definition of whataboutery. Mane’s was very dangerous but a genuine attempt to play the ball. He also got sent off for it.

Many worse that didn’t even result in a foul or yellow card? Citation needed

Premier Icon theotherjonv

– yet (that well known goalkeeping expert) Graeme Souness reckons he went with his wrong hand and ‘would be a bit disappointed with his goalkeeper for getting beaten from there’

Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

Dictionary definition of comparison for Liverpool fans claims as to what is a red card and what isn’t.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Eh? I don’t even understand the point you are trying to make.

I’m assuming it’s that you are trying to compare two completely different incidents years apart and using that to try and claim that Liverpool fans are dicks and it’s ok to injure their players? Did I get it right?

Premier Icon binners

We also greatly enjoyed Graeme Sounesses goalkeeping masterclass.

I don’t think any keeper in the world could have stopped that.

Apart from Graeme Souness, apparently

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Souness is an arrogant bastard, always has been. However, I would say that the keeper had a very good starting position, went with his wrong hand and the fact he got a hand to it, well mibbe if he’d gone with his left hand he could’ve kept it out?. At that stage of the game, in those circumstances, you’d be more disappointed that a midfielder didn’t get to Lanzini, or striker didn’t backtrack.

That said, there’s no way I’d asy you could EXPECT your keeper to save that, exceptional strike.

no, top hand always in that situation. Try it, lean over at 45 degrees with top arm stretched and see if your bottom arm can reach as far. Your head’s in the way.

It was astonishing to even get fingers on it, then it just hit the underside and bounced down about 2 ft over the line. A few millimetres further and it would have bounced out and been an astounding save.

Lastly – Lloris is astonishingly quick and agile, but he’s only 6’2″.  A taller keeper may have had a better chance.

Free Member

I know you were a keeper, so I’ll take your word for it!

Premier Icon binners

Are you trying to say that you know more on this subject than Graeme Souness?

As for height, I watched the last Liverpool derby that had a crowd. The Liverpool fans were all chanting at Jordan Pickford

He can’t reach up to the crossbar
    He’s only got little arms

If you remember, he didn’t have the best of games that day. He actually pulled off a couple of amazing saves on Saturday

He did, even if he shouldn’t have been on the pitch.

De Gea’s save against NUFC was pretty good too, good stop but scooping it away from the follow up really saved the goal

Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

There is a poll on the BBC for craziest game of the season, it doesn’t even include the Leeds Man city match which just underlines what a crazy season we are in so far, I guess for all the mad football in that game it didn’t have the score line to match the others.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54594216

Could the cup competitions be even more unpredictable?

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

i mean it’s the mauling of LfC 7-2 isn’t it. never in a million years could that have been predicted. Football, isn’t it. hmm?

Also, when will we just admit that VAR is rubbish. it was an experiment, it didn’t work, now take it out the back and give it a kicking

Premier Icon binners

The 7-2 came right on the back of our 6-1 demolition by Spurs. It’s fair to say that afternoon was a bit of a rollercoaster. 2 insane games, one after the other. I swore at the telly a lot during both games but for very different reasons 😀

Also, when will we just admit that VAR is rubbish. it was an experiment, it didn’t work, now take it out the back and give it a kicking

During last season we were told that it would settle down. It hasn’t. Quite the reverse. Now they’ve added the bonkers handball rule in, you’re getting those nonsensical decisions given as well as the inexplicable offsides

Premier Icon TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Chatted to my liverpool loving collegue about this today. He reckoned that it is at least two charges of ABH & GBH should be brought against Pickford along with a postponement of the premier league until Liverpool are reinstated to full strength. He reckoned 8 months should do it. Its only fair…..

I watched Liverpool play Man utd last season and VVD and Fabinho both took out that young lad James. They didnt just hurt him. They knocked him into next week and the lad looked punch drunk when he had to come off. It was a professional player knowing exactly what he was doing to inflict pain on another. I commented what goes around comes around to my Liverpool supporting son. Pickfords was a bad challenge, worthy of a red but was not nasty.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I just watched them again. Fabinho one looks nasty. VVD one James runs into him. They both got the ball before James though.

You’d have to have some serious ABL specs on to claim that somehow justifies what happened to him yesterday. Maybe it wasn’t nasty but it was absolutely nowhere near the ball so reckless in the extreme.

I was also taught two wrongs don’t make a right.

Premier Icon TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

VVD knew exactly what he was doing. TBH it was just an example of them not being whiter than white but I just remembered how the two of them nearly rendered that lad unconscious.

No specs on for this, I am a spurs supporter so have no gripes either way. No justification for what happened yesterday other than to say Pickfords challenge, although reckless was no different to the kind of goalkeeping challenges we see from the like of kasper schmichael and others on regular basis. The keepers are taught to come out and spread. This time it went wrong and VVD leg got caught in a scissor action but I do not believe it had a any major intent.

Try having a conversation with Roy Keane about two wrongs don’t make a right.

Premier Icon Kamakazie

VAR should stay but the guidance to the ref has to change. Should only be used to overturn clear & obvious errors. Clear being those you can spot on a slomo and confirm with a single line. Not by drawing 2 lines that are so close to each other that their placement and parallelism to the touch lines are bigger margins of error than the offside itself.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Nah VAR should go. We just have to accept human error is a part of football and refs will sometimes make mistakes. An assistant referee getting an offside wrong because a striker’s toe is half an inch ahead of of a defender is the same as said striker mis-kicking the ball in front of an open net.

Players make mistakes literally all the time, it’s the reason why goals happen, why excitement and the flow of the game is teh Awsumz so why do we expect officials to be absolutely flawless all the time? VAR is an attempt to make that happen, and the replays, delays, rewinds and decisions which make no sense – even to those who are on the right end of them.

“If you’re going into every game with an existential dread of some faceless technology, there’s something really very wrong with it.”

Not being able to celebrate because VAR may rule it out is ruining it.  Keep goal line tech, ditch the rest.

Premier Icon muggomagic

VAR was sold to everyone as a way of rectifying the real howlers, but what we’ve ended up with is every decision being over analysed. There’s no way they are ever going to scrap it, so we’re going to have to live with it.
    In terms of offside they should take away their ability to draw lines and it should be is the on field decision clearly wrong? If not, it stays as it is A bit like umpires call in cricket. It would also speed up the decision making process which often takes a good few minutes and is really sucking the life out of the game.

Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

Yeah the lines are silly and I’m not convinced they’re actually that accurate (I have no evidence for this!).

VVD gives Liverpool a big problem especially with Allison out. I think Liverpool will miss him more than City did Laporte last season. Maybe Klopp will go out all attack like they were a couple of seasons ago when Salah scored 40 odd.

Premier Icon Caher

COVID seems to have done VAR a favour, imagine the crowd during the review and verdict on some of those events decisions.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

If they’d just used it to stop all the bloody diving and simulation, it would be the greatest step forward in the game since the forward pass.
    It’s about the one thing they don’t use it for.
    I don’t mind it being used for offside and so on. I actually think it’s the rules themselves they have buggered up, not the VAR

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

With cricket you can generally hear the umpires discussing the footage and decision making process. I feel like this would go a long way to restoring some credibility to VAR – as long as their reasoning was sound I suppose.

Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

If they’d just used it to stop all the bloody diving and simulation, it would be the greatest step forward in the game since the forward pass.

They could start by just taking out and shooting every commentator who says “there is contact he has a right to go down”
    There is also a problem with the “clear and obvious error” interpretation for this, it seems that if you can understand how the ref was fooled in real time, then a decision stands, rather than just correcting the mistake.

In terms of offside they should take away their ability to draw lines and it should be is the on field decision clearly wrong?

Make the lines equivalent to the on pitch markings, if you can’t make a decision in 30 seconds or are unsure which frame the ball is kicked, advantage goes to the attacking team (as it used to do).

My VAR manifesto

1/ Most often, the officials get the decisions right (IIRC about 98% of the time)  Only a few are wrong, and only a few of these are game changing (goals, offsides, penalties, red cards, etc.), and they usually result in a stoppage anyway (a decision given wrongly either has stopped play or needs to go back because play should have stopped)

2/ Give each team 3 challenges per game, to be used by the team on the pitch with a clear signal and within 5 or 10s of the incident, so no time for coaches or statisticians to use replays (but we could put a delay on instant replays anyway). Coach could still tell the captain to call it but it’s based on the same view the ref had at the time.

3/ Benefit of doubt to the side not calling for VAR, so players only call clear and obvious errors.

4/ Players contesting decisions outside of the process, mandatory caution. Of course the 50-50 where the ball bounces out someone will always shout ‘our ball’ – that’s part of the game but as soon as it goes beyond that, clamp it down. IN ADDITION to the caution; prolonged contesting and the referee may accept this as a call for VAR. So if a player chases you up the pitch moaning about a throw-in, burn a referral for them and check and see if the throw in needs changing.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

Premier Icon martinhutch

I see the European Super League/Make some billionaires richer plan has been floated again.

Five of the ‘big six’ Premier League clubs invited, FIFA backing it, money, or at least debt, in place.

Bit risky for Utd, I’d have thought, unless relegation isn’t a thing.

Free Member

Low down stuff for you high flyers darn sarf, but if you get the chance have a look at Kemar Roofes injury time goal for Rangers in Liege.

Wow. Bloody wow.

Free Member

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Crivens! Like Beckhams but with added skillz before the shot.

Free Member

Aye, must’ve been sweet, being ex Anderlecht he was getting the boo treatment when he came on, that’s one way to silence them!

<Souness>

Disappointed for my keeper to get beaten from there

</souness>

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I didn’t even notice they had some fans back, assumed the crowd noise was fake. Urgh… 2020.

The keeper’s dive makes the goal even sweeter, it’s pretty epic.

Free Member

Lol, Souness will not be disappointed at that one Jon!

Premier Icon Philby

Really rated Roofe when he was at Leeds and wish he hadn’t been sold to Anderlecht.

Free Member

If he can stay fit, he looks to have the lot Philby.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

While we’re doing fitba corner, do you reckon Rangers look the real deal and/or are Celtic shite?

Free Member

I don’t think Rangers look any better than they did first half of last season tbh, when they collapsed post winter break, and as always it’s a marathon, not a sprint. The league is won away at Livingston, pishin wet winter nights in Dingwall and the likes as much as it is the big games.

Gerrard seems to have the beating of Lennon tactically, but Celtic have the winning mentality developed over a few seasons.

Rangers have a far better strength in depth now, 3 guys that came on last night were way better quality than we’d have had last couple of seasons.

I’m hoping the rest of the league gets dragged along as a result, our coefficient is higher than ever at present, which can only be good, but the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs etc don’t ever really seem to step up, European football never lasts beyond the early quali rounds, sadly.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 340 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.