Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 241 total)
  • Pandemic of soccerball season 2020/21
  • Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

Love a good reactionary Binners rant! One bad game and Maguire is mince. You should go on 606!

Premier Icon Philby

This article in the Guardian should get Binners frothing at the mouth – https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/06/manchester-united-transfers-the-15-windows-of-ed-woodward

How he is still in a job is beyond me, but as a Leeds fan I hope he continues to do his worst 😉

Premier Icon sc-xc

So…who else is telling Sky to shove their subscription following the PPV announcement?

Premier Icon binners

@philby – I don’t even have to read that article to know the horrors it contains. Woodward remains in a job, despite knowing the square root of **** all about football, because he’s very good at finding new noodle ‘partners’ in Singapore, or whatever. And money is the only thing the owners care about.

Speaking of which… the Premier League. Classy! People can’t go to the match, or go to the pub to watch it, so let’s use this ‘opportunity’ for a bit of blatant profiteering.

I’ll be cancelling my Sky Sports subscription today as I know the next United game is pat per view, on top of my existing subscription. And where on earth did they pluck the figure of fifteen quid a game?

They can **** right off!

It’ll do my blood pressure the world of good not watching it anyway, if last week is anything to go by

Premier Icon rogermoore

Dunno why the anger at Sky/BT? This is the a Premier League’s idea and the clubs voted 19/20 for it.
    RM.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Disgusting.

Not long after a club bag their mascot to save money, and fling millions at another no mark midfielder.

The arse. Well named.

Premier Icon binners

I think the anger is at the level of greed being demonstrated by everyone involved. Nice bit of opportunistic profiteering.

The fact of the matter is that I have a Sky sports subscription, which isn’t cheap, yet they want me to pay fifteen quid to watch the next United game.

I can think of all manner of things I’d rather spend fifteen quid on than watching that shite 😂

Premier Icon rogermoore

Yes Binners, I agree – should have been back to how it was at the restart of the 19/20 season where all games are shown on a mix of subs/free channels.
    RM.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Does it take covid to highlight how money driven top tier sport is for everyone to see it? I’m not excusing the behaviour btw

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I think the figure is too high but they are televising games that were never going to be televised originally which does have a cost attached to it.

The people who are really getting scammed are those who have already bought season tickets and probably Sky/BT subs and are being told to fork out again.

Premier Icon binners

Blimey! They’re really not wasting a good crisis, are they? Just when you think those running football can’t get any more mercenary, they somehow come up trumps

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Free Member

Imbecile commentators (England games)

Clearly not the first, look where he signalled the offside. That’s been given for the player directly in front of Pickford.

Premier Icon binners

I’ve got bets on a Belgium win, with Lukaku and De Bruyne to score.

One down, two to go

I reckon a comfortable four nil here

Premier Icon binners

Blimey! My predictions were as accurate as ever.

I don’t normally bother with Engerland games but that was a pretty respectable second half performance

Premier Icon Caher

Just seen the England penalty – hand on the shoulder and down. Very very soft.

Free Member

Henderson pretty much admitted the same in the post match interviews, but it’s a cut throat business and if the defender’s daft enough nowadays to softly caress him on the side of his neck he shouldn’t be surprised when Jordan swoons at his feet

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

There’s way too many penalties in football now, it’s getting tedious.

Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

What do we think of the power grab proposals from Liverpool and ManU?

To be honest a lot of it is fairly sensible IMO, it is just the taking of voting rights by the big 6+3 that is problematic. Get rid of that bit and I would probably be in support (having so far only seen the reporting and not the details).

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Yup agreed MSP, mostly good I think. I’m not even sure it’s that unfair for the teams that are always in the PL to have more say over its direction but I think they’ve gone too far.

It also feels pretty shady to be saying ‘yes we will help the EFL but this is the price’.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Anyone watching the England game? God it’s grim. Maguire sent off then they concede a penalty straight after. Was really dire before that too.

I think Maguire must have been poisoned by mystery Albanians again. Dreadful tackles from him.

Premier Icon binners

Didn’t see it as the choice between a night ride or an England game is a no brainer.

It would appear that the choice between watching Harry Maguire or feeding your gonads into a mincer is too.

80 million we paid for that donkey. Given the games we’ve got coming up I hope Harry is going to have some time off to go on holiday to Greece or something

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

How do you spell ‘shocking’?

Ahh, that’s it – ‘absolutely unmitigated dreadfulness’

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Seriously WTF is going on with VAR? I’m not aggrieved because I know sometimes they go Liverpool’s way but Pickford cleaned out VVD and no pen, not even a yellow card, and the ‘offside’ was just absolutely bonkers.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

It’s an interesting one. If VvD and Pickford had challenged for the ball at the same time, Pickford walks. Because VvD plays the play first, he is offside first so that offense stops the game. While normally tackling someone when the game is stopped is not allowed, in this case it is. It exposed a flaw in the rules, not the reffing.
    The VAR is weird. It looks like it has used the part if Mane’s arm above his armpit, which is iirc a change to the rules this year ,- that part not counting for handball.

The lack of VAR in the Man city Arsenal game where Walker tried to put his boot up the Arsenal player’s nose in the box is more mystifying

Premier Icon Kamakazie

The one on VVD can’t be a penalty because it’s after the game should have stopped for OS as cromololly said.
    Not sure if they could give a card for dangerous play though which it fully deserved.

The Mane OS is a shocker but then there have been loads like that so far. Should be used for ‘obvious’ errors. Then again, Managers, pundits & half the fans can get stuffed because it’s what they asked for with constant moaning about the odd bad decision.

Nice to see some more fluid play from us today. I know Pogba came on for the late goals but we are generally much better when he isn’t playing. How Mata doesn’t get more starts is beyond me, he is looking as sharp as ever in this setup.

Premier Icon binners

The offside decision was mental. There was millimetres in it and he’s got his back to goal. So how on earth is he getting any kind of competitive advantage? And that’s what the offside rule is meant to be about

@kamakazie Totally agree about Pogba. I was relieved to see him on the bench. He just doesn’t deserve to start for the sake of the 4 games a season he actually bothers to turn up

He’s like Ozil. Lazy. And look what Artetta has done to him. Given him a reality intrusion

Free Member

While normally tackling someone when the game is stopped is not allowed, in this case it is. It exposed a flaw in the rules, not the reffing.

Not really, laws cover this. The main offences are relevant while ball is in play, when it’s out of play or play is stopped then the usual offences can’t be committed*. So you can’t commit a foul and give away a free kick when the ball’s dead, however serious misconduct / violent conduct etc. eg: if a forward is played through but offside, then play effectively stops at the offside, any foul after is irrelevant as a foul. But if a chasing defender then takes him down a la Pickford, it’s still violent conduct in the same way that if he’d punched him in an altercation after the ref has stopped play for a foul.

So in this case correct choice should have been offside and freekick to Everton, presumably taken by a sub goalie brought on to replace an outfield player sacrificed because Pickford was sent off.

I think he’ll get away with it; there used to be a panel that could review mistaken red card offences (both ways) but I think that was scrapped when VAR came in because that effectively enabled it to be done in real time. I can’t believe Oliver wasn’t requested to have a look, and if he gets away with it over that technicality then it’ll be wrong.

* The main time this seems to be ignored is when a player is shepherding a ball out of play and the opponent then shoves them over trying to win the ball, and it’s unclear whether the ball had crossed the line before the foul. If a choice between freekick or throw in, the freekick seems to get given even if technically the ball may have gone out first, because a freekick’s more valuable. Incidentally if it’s a freekick/goalkick choice, the goalkick is usually given because that can 1/ be taken centrally and 2/ you can’t be offside from a goal kick.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

I don’t really see VVD as having been offside anyway but I see the point regarding the rules.

Man U looked great today but their pen was ridiculously soft, especially to be a clear and obvious error.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

But if a chasing defender then takes him down a la Pickford, it’s still violent conduct in the same way that if he’d punched him in an altercation after the ref has stopped play for a foul.

So in this case correct choice should have been offside and freekick to

Not quite, and that’s the flaw in the law. It cannot be violent conduct because the ball is in play, it is not off the ball etc. It isn’t serious foul play because the ball is not in play, the game ceased when VvD touched the ball, however the play didn’t stop until the ref. blew his whistle. So you can’t do Pickford for either. It’s the Schrodinger’s cat of football.

Free Member

It cannot be violent conduct because the ball is in play, it is not off the ball etc

I see what you say there, there is a slight loophole. I suppose the loophole that covers the loophole could be argued that it’s no longer the Ref’s whistle that signals ball out of play, that can be retrospectively considered by the VAR system, and so at the point of the offside the ball is not in play and so now Pickford’s no longer challenging for the ball because effectively there is no ball? Even though he thought there was.

Although in reality it’s covered by Law 18, and he should have gone.

Free Member

I like Schroedinger’s law.

I also like the cricket equivalent, a batsman is plumb lbw in front but the umpire’s not sure if he got a tiny edge on the ball first so he can’t give it. But the ball’s popped up and a fielder catches it; however he’s not sure whether he hit it so he can’t give him out caught either. He must be out somehow but you can’t be 100% sure of either, and benefit of the doubt must go to the batsman? So there’s a Schroedinger’s nick, you can either hit it, not hit it, or simultaneously hit it AND not hit it.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

It cannot be violent conduct because the ball is in play, it is not off the ball etc. It isn’t serious foul play because the ball is not in play, the game ceased when VvD touched the ball, however the play didn’t stop until the ref. blew his whistle.

So the ball is simultaneously in play and not in play? I’d like to hear quantum superposition used as a defence against red cards more often TBH.

Premier Icon MSP
    Free Member

So, if I am to get this right, these two rules have different definitions of when play ends, for the (1st) foul play rule play ends at the first offence ie the offside. and for the (2nd) violent conduct play ends when the ref blows his whistle?

The trouble with that is that it would surely crop up all the time. Maybe it is technically correct but normally the ref deals with it in a common sense manner and ignores the loophole, this sounds to me that they have looked for a loophole to explain away bad refereeing rather than apply what normally happens.

Free Member

That’s law 18 (there is no real law 18, it’s ref speak for ‘use common sense’)  Trouble is that then players and pundits moan about consistency, which means applying laws rigidly.

I don’t think anyone is using quantum superposition to explain the decision IRL, only on here for fun BTW. IRL I think everyone just thinks it was shit refereeing by Oliver and VAR.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

So, if I am to get this right, these two rules have different definitions of when play ends, for the (1st) foul play rule play ends at the first offence ie the offside. and for the (2nd) violent conduct play ends when the ref blows his whistle?

Pretty much. Although technically, the game is stopped when the official decides it is, not when they indicate it is. That’s how they are able to bring the play back to the first foul/play the advantage. Obviously fairness and common sense mean they would not penalize a player for e.g kicking the ball away until after they have blown the whistle and allowed for a player who was already in the act of kicking it etc.
    This was all created when they changed the offside, to delay the moment of offence until the player actually plays or challenges for the ball. You can’t penalize the defender for going into the challenge with an attacker who is offside because he isn’t offside until he goes into the challenge and the defender has no way if Knowing if the offside will be called. There is a specific exemption written into the LOG. You’ll note they use the very generic ‘offence’. So technically you could punch him in the face, bum him/hammer frozen sausages into him but as long as he was offside you shouldn’t be done for violent conduct. That will change soon I expect, or they’ll modify it via advice to referees.

• where an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already
    playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball,
    the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge

Free Member

Oof! Pick that one out!

Premier Icon binners

Blimey!! Talk about a game of two halves!

Contender for goal of the season right there! An absolute missile! 😳

Premier Icon imnotverygood

Looks like Pickford may have opened up the title race.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54590771

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Eat my goal! Another fairly crazy game, Spurs were rampant at the start.

They’ve done some tests and VVD potentially out for most of the season from Pickford’s assault. Sounds like several months at least. 🙁

Edit: beaten to it

I know someone who did their ACL and the amount of physio he was doing was insane. 4-5 hours a day for weeks and weeks. Crazy that Pickford gets away scot free for inflicting that on someone

Premier Icon binners

Big Virgil being out for a good while is massive for Liverpool. He’s the best defender in the premiership by a mile.

I still can’t believe Pickford got away without even a card. It was an absolutely horrendous challenge

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 241 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.