Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,508 total)
  • Pandemic of soccerball season 2020/21
  • binners

Wasn’t the problem at Chelski always ‘player power’? If Roman’s favourite players were unhappy, they’d go to the owner directly to moan about the manager.

I was looking at the player’s attitudes in the second half yesterday. After such a piss poor first-half performance you’d be expecting the hairdryer at half time and a reaction for the second 45. There was nothing.

Leicester, far from backing off, were going for more goals right to the final whistle. And why wouldn’t you? You could see the Chelski players heads were down and they just weren’t up for it at all.

Its when not if, Frank will be sacked, and then we say this every time: who on earth would want the Chelski job? Other than for the inevitable payoff. You’re on borrowed time from day one. Anything less than winning the Champions League (or in Di Matteo’s case, actually winning the FA Cup and champions league) is considered a failure. You might as well go to Watford.

Back to the title race, there’s a good chance the lead could change hands 3 times in 24 hours. This season’s great! Not least as we’re, somewhat surprisingly, in the mix 😀

binners

That’s brilliant! 😀

grum
    Free Member

I still don’t really understand his infamous envelope speech. He seems to be saying he’s written the names of three people who will let the club down, don’t be one of them – but if they are already written down… 🤔

binners

Hi! 😃

Well, Mrs Binners, who’s like Mystic Meg when it comes to footy betting, stuck a fiver on Burnley at 14/1 and advised I should do the same. So I did. We rather enjoyed that!

To be fair, Burnley were superb tonight! Liverpool look a shadow of last seasons team. What’s going on with the front 3? They’ve been absolutely ruthlessness consistent up to now, and it’s gone completely out of the window. Not scored for 4 games?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s bizarre Binners – little over a month ago they walloped Palace, Wolves and Leicester. They look like they could go all season without scoring again?!

Are they knackered? Everyone looks off the pace. Salah sulk over the captaincy hinting at bigger problems within the squad? Injuries caught up with them?

smokey_jo

It’s quite simple, the pope saves

theotherjonv

i posted this link a couple of week’s back about the high press / fast press teams being less effective this year because the recovery time between games is not enough for them to be able to press as often as they like. As a result they are pressing 20% less than they did in previous seasons and they just aren’t as effective at breaking a massed ranks defence down as they are on turnover and fast break possession.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/dec/26/football-tactics-pandemic-bayern-munich-liverpool

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Well, Mrs Binners, who’s like Mystic Meg when it comes to footy betting, stuck a fiver on Burnley at 14/1 and advised I should do the same. So I did. We rather enjoyed that!

aftertimer

Are they knackered?

97 points 18/19
    99 points 19/20

not sustainable

not sustainable

binners
    MrOvershoot

shortbread_fanylion

https://www.theguardian.com/football/quiz/2013/apr/02/brendan-rodgers-david-brent-quotes-quiz

On a similar theme……😀

“8/10
    You’re world class at guessing quotes but could you guess them on a wet night in Stoke?”

Think I might have been in Stoke (Hanley) once on a wet night but no one asked me any questions 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Think I might have been in Stoke (Hanley) once on a wet night but no one asked me any questions

Not even “looking for business, love?”

grum
    Free Member

I’ve just remembered I got confused and it’s actually Leicester I support, not Liverpool – easy mistake to make.

Looking generally jaded/tired, shame Jota went injured when he was banging ’em in for fun. Hey ho. I will concede that luck generally went Liverpool’s way last season and it’s generally not this season. Origi should have scored or put Mane in.

I really hope fans can come back towards the end of the seasom.

MSP

Do you think they will cash in on Salah in the summer?

Even towards the end of last season it was clear he was playing for personal glory rather than the team, and you could see the frustration in his team mates. He had a good reputation for being a “good guy” before, but that hasn’t been translated into his on pitch actions for a while.

Klop has also lost his mojo this season, from before the form slipped. The gaslighting about the pitch condition moan earlier in the season for a European game was idiotic. But he has been whining a lot, if it was meant to be a psychological ploy to create a fortress mentality it appears to have backfired for now. I think he is lucky that the media hasn’t really called him on it, but they are starting to now a little bit.

grum
    Free Member

I think they probably should tbh. It’s weird if you look at his stats for goals and assists they are still pretty good but he does often seem to choose the wrong option and stop/slow attacks down.

I agree on Klopp I think he seems mentally exhausted also, he’s always been a bit grouchy at times but it’s wearing a bit thin this season. I guess lots of people are finding life a bit harder currently.

binners

Do you think they will cash in on Salah in the summer?

They’d be daft not too. Apparently he’s being a bit of a Pogba/diva behind the scenes and wants either a transfer or a big hike in wages

binners

he’s always been a bit grouchy at times

He was a brave/stupid man to be gobbing off at Sean Dyche in the tunnel. Thats only ever going to end one way. You didn’t have to be an expert in lip-reading to see that he was telling Jurgen to kindly go away and keep his opinions to himself 😀

When asked about it in the post match interview, he actually said ‘he started it’ like a 3 year old

Its not often I agree with Maureen but he was right when he said that if any other manager behaved like Klopp, they’b be sent to the stands.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d sell Salah, keep Mane as he might cheer up a bit of Salah is away. The key to their front three has been Firmino though. He’s pretty unique and replacing him might mean a different style entirely.

I wonder too if Thiago will resemble Veron at United.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it time for the Kop Flop Klopp set for Chop headlines?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I think he’ll implode before he gets chopped.

dc1988

If you look at the possession stats for Liverpool this season it’s clear that teams are sitting back and hitting us on the counter. Firstly we’re not good enough to unpick a well drilled defence, our attackers like open space on a counter attack. We look clueless when we just pass it side to side. And with our high line it leaves us open to a ball over the top, Van Dijk and Gomez were quick enough to deal with that threat, none of our current fit defenders are.

I think it’s fair to say that last season a lot of good luck came our way which isn’t the case this season. Virtually no one looks anywhere near top form (only Jota who is injured) and we’ve got a lot of injuries meaning we have people playing out of position and others we can’t rotate (TAA) who need a rest. Although we won the league last season and our football was effective (based on points won), I think our football has got worse over the last three seasons, the number of times we won by one goal last season was significant and however well you’re playing is always a dangerous position.

MSP

When asked about it in the post match interview, he actually said ‘he started it’ like a 3 year old

Dyche’s answer was far shrewder “just two managers passionate about winning matches, and that’s a good thing” or something like that.

binners

I did like Harvey Barnes reply when asked about the incident with Fabinho:

“It was just a bit of handbags”

the number of times we won by one goal last season was significant and however well you’re playing is always a dangerous position.

My scouse mate says the same, and that the 1-0’s you were grinding out last couple of seasons have now become the 0-0 draws of recent weeks, as you can’t carry on riding those forever

As a United fan, I’d dispute that. Thats how Fergie won all those titles. Grinding out 1-0’s when you’re not playing particularly well on a cold, wet Monday night in Stoke.

binners

😃

grum
    Free Member

Good to see a bit of variety – Man U player diving for a Fernandes free kick rather than a penalty. How’s the victory parade planning going binners?

binners

Accusations of diving from a team that contains Mo Salah? 😂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Decent game that, some signs of life from Liverpool. Thiago looked ok in spells as did Firmino. Felt sorry for the young lad at the back – not good enough and probably never will be. Suspect Klopp played him to prove a point to the board. Amazing they didn’t have a centre half lined up on Jan 1st.

United were ok, did enough. Binners, the stars are aligning, it has to be your year for the league! De Bruyne out for 6 weeks, Aguero’s return delayed by covid and Vardy injured now too. United have no injuries and a big squad and skilfully got dumped out the Champions League as soon as possible 😀

binners

I still think the title is Citeh’s to lose and can’t quite believe we’re top.

But I’m just loving being 6 points clear of the scousers, putting them out of the FA cup and listening to the usual ‘boo hoo, poor us, it’s all just, like, soooooo not fair’ persecution complex where it’s all a conspiracy (but let’s not mention going 4 games without scoring) 😂

Cheer up lads. If you can put a run together you might still be in with a chance of a top four finish 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

Beep Beep!

😆

binners

Somewhat inevitably…

I wonder who’s next through the Chelski revolving door? Nice of them to brief the press that he was about to be sacked. Classy.

MSP

Who have they lined up though? Benitez is suddenly free, would he take over again? They treated him pretty shoddily last time around, especially the fans, what would it take for him to walk through the revolving door again?

No on else notable is currently free that I can think of, and its not like going to chelski is seen as a career boost or a permanent position.

edit: actually Tuchel is free as well isn’t he, but he never really impressed at PSG.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Tuchel I think. Maybe Rodgers, which Binners will be praying for, to avoid Leicester doing another Leicester? Avram Grant as caretaker until the end of the season?

Bit harsh on Frank but ironic if player power did for him.

grum
    Free Member

But I’m just loving being 6 points clear of the scousers, putting them out of the FA cup

Commemorative DVD on sale already I heard.

binners

Apparently yous lot and Chelski are competing for the same signature to shore things up until the end of the season 😀

#KloppOut

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Isn’t lovely to see Utd fans having something to celebrate again after having won the League and the FA Cup in January. 5+ years in the dumps does some strange things!

binners

You try watching a couple of seasons of what Jose Mourhino serves up as football and see what effect it has on you 😉

imnotverygood

Surely John Terry is a shoe-in

grum
    Free Member

This sums up some of my thoughts on football at the moment, though it’s just about VAR never mind no crowds etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/23/he-shoots-he-scores-or-does-he-how-var-changed-football-for-ever

binners

I read that article on Saturday and completely agree that’s VAR is ruining the game.

What’s absolutely infuriating is the offsides. WTF is going on with the linesmen not flagging for offsides until the ball is in the back of the net. It’s an absolute farce! Why bother having linesmen any more?

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,508 total)

The topic ‘Pandemic of soccerball season 2020/21’ is closed to new replies.