Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pancreatic Cancer
  • CheesybeanZ

My sister was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just before Christmas and right about now is having surgery too try and remove it – the Whipple procedure , anyone had or know anyone thats had this ?
    I’ve read loads and know a fair bit about pancreatic cancer , we lost mom too it in 2013 but I’ve not meet anyone whose had the Whipple surgery .

scaredypants

IANADoc:

It’s a big procedure and takes a lot of recovery but she’ll presumably have been told about that stuff as part of the process

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/pancreatic-cancer/treatment/surgery/surgery-to-try-to-cure-pancreatic-cancer#whipple

All the best to her & your family

djflexure

She should do just fine after the surgery, the procedure is somewhat involved but at the same time very much routine. In the long run her outcome will depend upon what exactly is removed – I’m sure you already know this. Small tumours can do well.

sharpy52
    Free Member

I had a full whipples on the 28th of October, mine was for a lump in my bile duct. I spent just under six weeks in hospital due to a leak. Im going back to work next week. Sorry for the short post but im on my phone.

easygirl

My dad had pancreatic cancer , and had the Whipple procedure.after it he had to take insulin.
    He was 74 at the time, and recovery was slow, but he had a good 12 months before he was diagnosed with a secondary cancer.
    He passed away 6 months later.
    Prayers for a good outcome, which I know many people have

CheesybeanZ

thanks for the replies , easygirl , mom was 69 , unfortunately it had spread rapidly and was inoperable . my sister is only 48 so stands a better chance of recovery _ 7 hrs of surgery yesterday which the surgeon says went too plan and is happy with her condition today .
    sharpy52 good luck going back to work .

Pigface
    Free Member

Good luck to your sister and wishing you all the best Cheezy

loddrik
    Free Member

Fingers crossed mate!

john_drummer
    Free Member

My brother in law had a whipple about 2 and a half years ago, aged 48. Sadly the cancer came back; sadly it didn’t work long term, hope your sister has better luck.
    My stepdad is stage IV with pancreatic cancer, undergoing chemo but as a palliative as, as it has spread to his lungs, a whipple would not do any good.

The biggest problem with pancreatic cancer is that it usually doesn’t present symptoms until it’s too late 🙁

CheesybeanZ

John , that was moms problem it wasn’t picked up until it was too late for surgery -she lasted 11 weeks from actually diagnosis but had been ill for nearly 8 months . They thought it was gall bladder problems at her age.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Wishing your sister every prayer she will win against this nasty disease. My old man died of pancreatic at 44 and it was way too late to even contemplate any form of surgery for him.

DaveRambo

My dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer about 4 years ago I think.

He had the Whipple procedure and just in the nick of time – another day and he wouldn’t have been strong enough.

Doing the op they found that it was terminal, but the procedure would give him longer. It’s a major op so recovery time reflects this. Thankfully he was quite a fit bloke so did well.

Without the op he would have had weeks. With it he was given 8-12 months. He lasted 22 and we had some really nice times together.

The fact that the surgeon says it went well is good news as thy tend to be straightforward these days. Fingers crossed for you sister.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pancreatic Cancer’ is closed to new replies.