Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Panasonic lx3 or……….
  • Ringo
    Free Member

Any other suggestions? In the same price range

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am torn between the LX3 and the Canon S90 at the moment… and possibly a G11, but that may be getting a bit bulky.

But then I keep wondering if they aren't all a bit bulky and I should just go for something like the Fuji F70EXR or whatever it's called…

Aaaaaargh

It's tricky this – I need want something to take out when the SLR is overkill. I think I am erring towards the LX3 at the moment as the wide angle lens is a real bonus… but I am not sure.

Also interested in the new RAW enabled Casio for CES, depending on when it is going to be released, for how much and what the image quality is like.

Or I may hold on a bit and see what happens with micro 4/3 over the year as a second system build around a compact body with 3 or 4 tiny interchangable lenses would be great. In 35mm terms I would want a one in the 16-20mm range, a 24mm, a 50mm and an 85mm – all really fast (f2 or below)

I seem to have got rubbish at spending money of late! I am needing a new motorbike in the summer and probably replace the Yeti 575 with something else, so I can see this indecision being a problem!

vrapan
    Free Member

What are you after from the camera?

LX3, S90 and Ricoh GRD III are the main candidates on what seems to be a new class of more photographer friendly/premium compacts. However they have enough differences among them to be able to pick one over the other depending on what you are after.

I haven't used any other than the LX3 but I didn't need to. The Ricoh is a full 100£ more expensive than the LX3 has slow af and considerable shutter lag. The Canon has bigger zoom but does not go wide enough and it is not anywhere near as bright near the end of the zoom.

Also do you care for HD Video? 🙂

tails
    Free Member

I have said it before but I can't get past the S90, the other two just don't pass the shirt pocket test.

vrapan
    Free Member

I have said it before but I can't get past the S90, the other two just don't pass the shirt pocket test.

Get shirts with bigger pockets? :p

tails
    Free Member

Get shirts with bigger pockets? :p

😆

jesus h, look at that lx3 you'd need a camera bag for it!! more seriously it is a straight battle between the s90 and lx3 the ricoh doesn't compare, both are excellent really look at your needs and decide from there. there are some good reviews out there of both.

nedrapier

I'm looking at the LX3 at the moment, too. The 24mm lens is the reason I'm tempted.

I have a 24mm on my film SLR. I really like the way it's close to matching my field of vision, so landscape shots come back looking like wot I saw when I was there.

I've always been a bit confused about how focal length is expressed on digi cameras. On cameras with interchangeable lenses, the true focal length is quoted, and the field of view is equivalent to a lens with double the focal length on a film SLR, so the 20mm pancake on the GF1 produces images I would expect from a 40mm lens.

So where does that leave us with compacts? The "wide angle 24mm lens" on the LX3 certainly wouldn't be "wide angle" if it was equivalent to 48mm.

What gives? Will it give me a similar view to the 24mm on my film SLR? And what's the rule? interchangeable lenses on digi cameras = double film camera focla length, and lenses fixed on digi compacts = same as on a film camera?

MrNutt
    Free Member

save up your money and buy a GF1 with the 20mm lens, its an awesome bit of kit, you won't be able to put it down!!

nedrapier

I've got a threshold for camera money, the rest is allocated to course fees, holidays, bike bits, houses etc!

And I don't really want a camera with an equivalent 40mm lens. Unless I've misunderstood focal lengths, and I may have done, hence the post!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and the field of view is equivalent to a lens with double the focal length on a film SLR, so the 20mm pancake on the GF1 produces images I would expect from a 40mm lens.

it depends on the size of the sensor, so the apparent focal length multiplier (compared to 35mm) is 1.5x for Nikons and 1.6x for Canons (with approx APS size sensors). It only really makes sense to quote actual focal lengths for interchangeable lenses which can at least theoretically be fitted to different format cameras and for built in lenses the 35mm equivalent focal length is more useful

nedrapier

cheers simon, that's cleared things up perfectly for me! And a reason why to boot.

Ta.

myheadsashed

I have an LX3 and really like it. Its great in low light and takes great landscape shots

datsunman

I'm still looking for a small camera too, I've used an LX3 and owned three S90s!

Whilst the S90 does a really good job of low light the build quality is just not there. All three of mine had faults, and all three faults were different. I didn't like the optics on the S90 either, quite soft even with the sharpness ramped up.

I prefer the lense/video of the LX3 and the reach/colours of the S90. Hopefully something will come out this year that's a nice hybrid of the two. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Panasonic lx3 or……….’ is closed to new replies.