Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Panasonic Lumix cameras
  • ononeorange

Does anyone have one of these and care to share their thoughts on it? We are looking at one for carrying on the bikes on biking holidays etc.

All of the reviews I have seen on the net seem to be written by angry argumentative photo uber-geeks – I just want to know in in the real world!!

Rscott
    Free Member

i have a old f10 excelent camera been out in all condition dropped in mud throrn in and out of kayaks and dirty bags there quick reliable and have a nice feel.

however recently broke it by dropping it on its lense and bust the tiny cog mechanism on the lense. but completly my fault

Rscott
    Free Member

i have a old f10 excelent camera been out in all condition dropped in mud throrn in and out of kayaks and dirty bags there quick reliable and have a nice feel.

however recently broke it by dropping it on its lense and bust the tiny cog mechanism on the lense. but completly my fault

grum
    Free Member

Which ones in particular? They are generally very good though IMO.

muddy@rseguy

GF series is very very good as are the G series cameras as they have interchangeable lenses. I have. G2 with a pancake lens and the standard macro, seems to work a treat and is less bulky than a full size SLR but very nearly as good (ie unless you are a full pro you won’t notice the difference). The sensor and CCD is nice and big and the lenses are very good quality.

GF series is probably better for carrying on a bike as it smaller and lighter (doesnt have a viewfinder as standard though if Iremember correctly)

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

The lumix covers a huge range of cameras. I have a rugged one dmc-ts3 I think. I dropped it at 20mph and it bounced along the road. It was fine. Pictures are ok. The dmc lx5 is an amazingly good camera- can be had quite cheap I think. Pictures are fantastic, it’s auto mode seems great.

hammerite
    Free Member

I have two. Really like them (not that I’m any kind of photographer!). I got one of the bridge cameras first, images look amazing. But it was a bit big to carry around in a pocket so I asked for one of their compact cameras as a Christmas present.

Not disappointed in either of them.

rickmeister

+loads for Panasonic Lumix. Our TZ 5 has a great build, robust and good for one handed out and about shooting. Its lived in a small camera bag that sits on the camelbak chest strap. Worked in all weathers and temperatures… batteries last well

The optical zoom is a leica lens and 5+ mp gives good pics. I would have another in an instant.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I have the FS30 Compact affair, 14.1mp.
    Very good camera, great 8x zoom for a small unit too.
    I took it on a 3 day WHW trip in the pissing rain and it performed superbly. My daughter uses it regularly for gigs and general boyband stalking.
    Rechargable battery lasts for ages too.
    I’d buy another one. 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lumix TZ 20.

IT IS THE MOST USER-UNFRIENDLY DEVICE I HAVE EVER OWNED

That is the first thing I’ve ever shouted on STW.

It’s the only thing I’ve taken back to the shop for instruction on how to use it. On a bright snowy day I don’t even try.

Disable the GPS and disable the touch screen first then learn your way through the menus blindfold. Be very careful not to touch any of the controls out of order or you’ll end up in menus you can’t get rid off (you won’t even be able to see what’s on the screen if it’s bright) without the manual and as the manual is on-line only… . You can end up in menus that disable the shutter so pressing the video record button does nothing.

CountZero

I’m on my second, my first, a TZ3, was bought in 2007, my current one, a TZ30, I bought in June. The TZ3 still works fine, it’s taken thousands of photos, the TZ30 several hundred so far. Good cameras, the 30 is smaller than the 3, but with a 20x optical zoom. Can’t go far wrong with a Lumix, it’s really just deciding which one out of the many suits your needs.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a TZ19. I like it.

fbk
    Free Member

Had a tz6 which I liked. Replaced it with a Sony equivalent and love it. Just a bit more refined.

Harry_the_Spider

Linky to the thread that made me buy it.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/compact-camera-1

Edukator
    Free Member

You’ll note that in the six months since that thread I’ve got even angrier with the Lumix. In the Summer pressing the video record button to stop recording failed and we resorted to switching it off to stop recording. The videos were still saved but required editing to remove the shaking a swearing at the end of each clip.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have one of the fairly basic models bought about 3 years ago – works ok and takes better pictures than the smart phone, has a few modes like landscape etc which are useful. Its small enough to slip into a pocket and is easy to take a few quick photos on a ride or a bit of low quality video. Most of the photos I post up here are taken with it. We have a canon 300D too and that’s a millions times better but I suppose you’d expect that.

Taff
    Free Member

I have an FS10 and think its awful. Rubbish day time pictures in sunlight and forget a nighttime picture. I’ve taken good photos on it too but when most important it has let me down. From what ove read there were issues with the sensors that gradually worsened over time. The more expensive ones are good, my friends have them and wish I had spent even an extra £50.

wafty
    Free Member

Got the lumix G series, very pleased and very compact and light

ononeorange

Gosh, so many responses – thanks everyone. We were thinking about either the TZ25 or the TZ 30, with the emphasis on the former as it has less confusing toys.

But Edukator gives me pause for thought given my inability to work anything remotely technical…..

Countzero, do you use your TZ30 for “days out on the bike” pics?

(Going to bed now but will pick up any replies in the morning)

Thanks again!

toby1

I have a tz30 too after a couple of years with Canon compacts. I have to agree with it not being as intuitive to use. I’ve also struggled with some of the settings in low light, and bright light conditions. Ideally it should be a simple point and click, but not reading the ‘kin manual means I have messed u a few shots. Appreciate that is not the cameras fault but mine. But yeah the 30 is not the simple point and click it could be.

That being said the panoramic features and vast zoom are pretty good it just takes a bit of involvement from the user.

djglover
    Free Member

got a tz30

Like it a lot, takes great video and photos. Only use the generic settings, it has much more to offer, but the photos look pretty good and the zoom is immense

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Recently got one of their bridge cameras tz48 I think. It was cheap since its an outgoing model. It’s great. Picture quality is fantastic, it captures loads of light and its auto focus is fast and not fooled too easily.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I have a TZ7 and it’s the camera I carry around with me on the bike and when hillwalking. It has never once given me any problems at all, has a fantastic Intelligent Auto mode, lots of other options and has taken a few falls (in a LowePro bag). My Mrs had it out at Everest Base Camp earlier this year and it wasn’t phased by temperature or altitude. Given all of that, I’d not hesitate to buy a newer model.

Philby

Had a TZ10 with 12x zoom for a couple of years. Its been superceded by the TZ20 and TZ30. Generally it has been very easy to use and has produced some excellent photos. Only issues have been photos of sports events and also shots in low light – though the extensive menu probably has a mode for each of those situations which I forget to try and find.

docstar
    Free Member

Got a refurbished TZ6 from ebay, cracking camera for the price.

CountZero

I don’t do much riding these days, but both the TZ3 and the TZ30 go with me when I’m out doing anything other than going down the shops. I have a Timbuctoo phone pouch which the camera fits neatly into, along with a spare battery, and it’s attached to an Animal lanyard. Any gig I go to I have the Lumix with me, along with my iPhone. The TZ3 used to be attached to the strap of my hydration bag in its case when I did ride a lot more. The 30 is actually a pretty small camera, and would drop into a large-ish shirt pocket. Just because Edukator has issues, don’t be put off; he seems to just have issues. 😉
    This photo I took from row J at the Royal Festival Hall in London:

This one at the Thekla, Bristol; she was about six feet away:

And here’s a random selection of pics I’ve taken over the last few months:

Northwind

I’ve got a TZ7… Few years old now obviously but tbh I never got on with it. Features wise it’s good but the low-light shooting was poor, and it was all a bit slow and clunky to use. Main problem was just that it feels fragile- I’m used to Ixuses and the like, solid dependable metal bricks, not plasticky boxes that you could snap in half with your bare hands. So, I never took it anywhere. Good tourist camera, poor biking camera IMO.

Suppose I should sell it eh!

ononeorange

Thanks again for all your resposnes, much appreciated (and pictures too!).

Really helpful. Just got to decide now,eh?!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lumix TZ 20.

IT IS THE MOST USER-UNFRIENDLY DEVICE I HAVE EVER OWNED

I have a TZ10 and I think it’s pretty straight forward tbh. can’t really imagine that the tz20 is so much different. yes there are a lot of options but that’s because it can do a lot of stuff. they are arranged fairly logically and have never had much of a problem doing what I want. it says on screen what each button will do and it it does it without a problem. more importantly it takes some amazing pictures. the macro function is particularly impressive.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Panasonic Lumix cameras’ is closed to new replies.