Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Pakistan – backpacking, solo traveller
  • muzz
    Free Member

I’m turning 40 next year and am giving thought to travelling solo to Pakistan next year. From an initial look travelling into Lahore and focussing on the north areas including Kashmir seems appealing.

I would be travelling on my own and would be looking to both experience the bustle of city life, life in rural communities and, of course, look at stunning mountains in incredible light.

Flexible on when in the year I could go .

Has anyone experienced such a trip and any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks

psling
    Free Member

This is what the FCO has to say:

Summary
    Still current at:
    26 August 2018
    Updated:
    9 August 2018
    Latest update:
    Summary and Safety and security section (Local travel – Gilgit-Baltistan) – information about attacks on schools and security operations in response; you should seek and follow the advice of the local authorities
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:
    the Federally Administered Tribal Areas
    the districts of Charsadda, Kohat, Tank, Bannu, Lakki, Dera Ismail Khan, Swat, Buner and Lower Dir in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
    the city of Peshawar and districts south of the city, including travel on the Peshawar to Chitral road via the Lowari Pass
    northern and western Balochistan
    travel on the Karakoram Highway between Islamabad and Gilgit
    The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:
    the Kalesh Valley, the Bamoboret Valley and Arandu District to the south and west of Chitral in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
    the city of Quetta
    the city of Nawabshah in Sindh Province, and areas of interior Sindh to the north of Nawabshah
    On 14 August Pakistan celebrates Independence Day. Large public celebrations are expected on and around this date. Terrorists have attacked large gatherings in Pakistan in the recent past. National and provincial elections took place on 25 July 2018. Terrorist attacks on political rallies in the run-up, and on polling stations on election day, killed over 200 people. It’s possible that there may be further violence in the aftermath of the polls. You should remain vigilant and avoid demonstrations, large crowds of people and public events.
    Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Pakistan. There’s a high threat of terrorism, kidnap and sectarian violence throughout the country, including the cities of Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore and Karachi. You should be vigilant, avoid all crowds, public events, political gatherings, religious processions and sporting events, and take appropriate security precautions.
    Foreigners, in particular westerners, may be directly targeted. Densely populated unsecured areas, such as markets, shopping malls, restaurants and places where westerners and the Pakistani elite are known to congregate, are potential focal points for attacks. You should be extra vigilant at all times and minimize your exposure to areas that pose a higher risk.
    Security forces in Pakistan remain on high alert following previous attacks. Alert levels in major cities can fluctuate, and travellers should monitor local media. There may be increases in security force presence and restrictions on movement may be put in place at short notice. See Terrorism
    During holy periods/religious holidays, there’s an increased risk of targeted attacks, including on western interests and religious minorities. On 17 December 2017, an attack at the Bethel Memorial Methodist church in Quetta killed nine and injured over 50 people. It’s possible that further Christian gatherings will be targeted in this way.
    In early August, militants attacked a number of schools, including over a dozen schools in the Chilas, Darel and Tangir areas of Daimer District, Gilgit Baltistan. In security operations that followed, 2 militants were killed and over 30 arrested. Further attacks on schools and security operations in response are possible. You should seek and follow the advice of the local authorities.
    There have been a number of recent terrorist attacks in Lahore. At the present time, you should exercise caution travelling to and around Lahore. Busy public places and events are often targeted, including public transport, major international hotels, the airport, parks, shopping malls and religious sites. Government, military and law enforcement facilities are also targeted. See Terrorism for more information.
    On 14 March 2018, an explosion at the Nisar police check post near Raiwand on the southern outskirts of Lahore, close to the Tableeghi (Jamait e Islami) religious centre, caused numerous fatalities and multiple injuries.
    Pakistan is in a major earthquake zone and remains at risk from further earthquakes, aftershocks, landslides and flooding. You should familiarise yourself with safety procedures in the event of an earthquake. See Natural disasters
    If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.
    The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.
    Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.
    Around 270,000 British nationals visit Pakistan every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

I particularly like the last sentence!!

mattyfez

Other destinations are available .. That’s all I’ll say.

v8ninety

If you’re able to blend in, go for it. I’d feel very vulnerable with my pasty white face and zero ability to speak the language.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member
    BadlyWiredDog

I know knob all about Pakistan, but I spent a few months in Colombia back in the 1990s when it had a pretty bad reputation and a lot of people thought we were barking mad going there. We were reasonably careful, with where we went and when we caught buses – not at night – and nothing bad happened.

Official warnings tend on the side of caution for obvious reasons and mostly bad things don’t happen, though of course that’s no consolation if you’re one of the minority of people who bad things do happen to. Statistically though, you’re more likely to die or be injured in a road traffic accident than through an act of violence in most developing countries.

I’d be doing some extensive research and maybe, if you don’t like what you find, also asking whether you could get a similar experience with less risk in say India or Nepal.

Why Pakistan in particular? Just wondering.

Joe

I work alot in the region and think that Pakistan is one of the greatest and most authentic travelling experiences. I think it’s so much more wonderful than India; Lahore is a wonder, the food is brilliant and the Karakorum are the most spiky, wonderful mountains in the world. I think a trip round Lahore, followed by a fairly beaten track trip to Skardu, onto Hunza and over to chitral etc would be fantastic and pretty safe on the grand scheme of this miserable world.

But… i’m not sure why, but after years and years working and holidaying in central asia and the Middle East, i’m starting to feel that I can’t be bothered particulalry when i have time off. I’m not sure if its just getting old and anxious, or just a growing realisation that most of these places are never more than a fraction of a second away from mindless and  brutal violence, despite the general hospitality and friendlyness of most people. Xenophobia and hatred of the west are never far from the surface in the Islamic world, despite what the luvvy travel bloggers have to say. There are also plenty of other wonderful and quiet places in the world.

The question as others have asked is what is your motivation? I’ve done the trip you’re planning a couple of times (also by bike), and they have been some of my favourite holidays i’ve ever had. If you asked me to do it again though, the honest truth is that I probably wouldn’t go.

cornholio98
    Free Member

My old company only drove people round in armoured cars due to kidnap risks.

if you can speak the language and blend in you are good if not you can go to Islamabad.

also remember if you are not from the country you won’t be getting visas to many places without interviews for a while…

Joe

Your company was probably scammed or working in Karachi (unless it was working in the tribal belt). There has never been a real kidnap threat in the north of Pakistan or Lahore.

cornholio98
    Free Member

It is tribal areas I think. It’s also major oil so a nice target with stupid HSE.

for the most part if you are careful you can be good almost anywhere or indeed if you are a dick things can go wrong almost anywhere but why take the risk? That being said I have seen some beautiful pics.

oldnpastit

I went to Morocco earlier this year. I don’t know how it compares to Pakistan, but it was pretty amazing. Felt safe and lots to do and see. I’d go back tomorrow if I hadn’t used up all my holiday entitlement for this year.

RustySpanner

Have an invite to stay with family friends at Murree, we were supposed to be going this year but new jobs mean it’s on hold ’till 2020.

Friends reckon the most dangerous bit is the drive from the airport. 🙂

My dad lived there for a while after WW2 and during partition, it would be good to see the place.

eulach

A friend of mine whose parents were born there, went to wedding a couple of years ago. He arrived at the relatives’ house and when he was shown to his room the conversation was something like, “There are fresh towels on the bed, the bathroom’s down the hall on the left and there’s a gun in the bedside-table drawer if you need it.”

tails
    Free Member

Can’t say I know much about the area other than tv programs. What about Nepal, mountains, grasslands and a bustling city. We had some Nepalese over learning English this week, the funniest bunch I’ve met always laughing and very generous.

Although South America would be my pick unless your set on Pakistan.

RustyNissanPrairie

I worked in Lahore for a few months but it was 15 years ago. Great people and I felt safe wandering about but I’d travelled a lot by then and was switched on with being in non tourist locations.

Better places to be in the world though.

moose
    Free Member

I can get you a proper int assessment if you’d like? PM me an email address and i’ll get something together for you next week if I can.

CountZero

Although South America would be my pick unless your set on Pakistan.

Columbia and Venezuela look particularly appealing at the moment…

nastybobby
    Free Member

Don’t know about kidnap. But speaking as someone from an area with one of the largest Pakistani communities in the country, we do hear stories. Only a week or two ago a family was held up at gunpoint by people masquerading as the law after leaving Islamabad airport (they even stole their clothes). They say Kashmir would be one of the top tourist destinations on the planet if it wasn’t a disputed territory, but I think you’d be taking enormous risks by visiting. Especially self supported on a bike.

ianpv
    Free Member

I spent 9 months there during and after the first gulf war. It was an amazing place to work and travel, the people were fantastically hospitable all over the country. But that was 25+ years ago and I’m sure a lot has changed…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think you need to speak to people who have recently i.e within the last few weeks or months been In the areas you wish to travel. Maybe try lonley planet forums?

Personally although I would like to visit Pakistan I would go somewhere else as there are so many interesting amazing places in the world with a lower risk profile. But I am not an expert in the area.

greentricky
    Free Member

I’d love to go, was booked to go in autumn 2001 but we got as far Iran and changed plans due to the safety situation at the time. The hunza valley looks amazing, not sure I’d go currently though and would just go Indian himalayas and Kashmir. Look equally amazing and safer domestic situation.

muzz
    Free Member

Thank you for all your input everyone

nickc

I have family in Lahore, and they don’t encourage us to go over.

Could be they don’t like our side of the fam though 😬

nicko74

I’ve been, done pretty much that trip – from Kyrgzstan (Osh) on the nightbus to Kashgar, then took the bus down the Karakoram highway. Stopped in Islamabad and Lahore, then over the border at Wagah and north on the Indian side through Jammu and Kashmir.

It was a few years ago, and as above it’s clearly fairly changeable there (I wouldn’t go to Peshawar now, for example), but I can share some thoughts and notes if you like.

Marin
    Free Member

Maybe try Lonely Planet forum or UK Climbing to see if you can get some up to date experiences. I’d love to go but for me it’s a bit too volatile and sadly my crazy travelling days are over. Off to Nepal in 4 weeks, big mountains, great people, chaotic towns not much religious inspired mayhem. Good luck and have fun if you go, admit I’d be a bit jealous.

jamj1974

I have a number of good friends who go every year – own properties there and still have family who reside there permanently.

The pictures – especially those in mountainous rural areas are amazing.  I can see very clearly why anyone would want to go.

However, despite the fact none of them have had serious trouble – there seems to be widespread corruption and needs to pay ‘taxes’ to make sure there are no issues etc…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Depends where you go in the world.

Even the U.K. has shit areas where you wouldn’t go.

Try going with a group.

HansRey

didnt mark beaumont cycle through there on his first round the world trip?

globalti
    Free Member

No matter how careful you are, you will be spotted and identified as an outsider everywhere you go. I used to love going to Pakistan especially Lahore but my agent won’t allow me to go now as he says the danger of kidnap is too great. Criminality is rife and if criminals get you they might pass you on to terrorists.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Pakistan – backpacking, solo traveller’ is closed to new replies.