Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Painting uPVC windows
  • redmex
    Free Member

I need a change from the dark faux mahogany rehau frames
    Anyone used Zinsser ?

halifaxpete

Yep the shellac based Zinsser 321 primer is spot on. Painted afew uPVC windows/doors using it and they’ve all held up well.

kormoran
    Free Member

Yes, did our conservatory this year, used zinser and all good. Then a regular paint on top. We got a tint put in the zinser to darken it down nearer the top coat colour. It was the zinser recommended for uPVC, bullseye 123 maybe?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

Not used it on windows but have used it on uPVC guttering and shitty mock-Tudor wood and have nothing bad to say about Zinsser stuff – it’s great stuff.

dyna-ti

I dont know about that stuff personally, but its usual to roughen the surface with some sandpaper to provide a key for the primer. Smooth surfaces repel paint, and while it might go on ok for a bit, it will likely start to peel as the weather gets to it.

lambchop
    Free Member

Don’t use Zinsser BIN,that is the shellac based primer. It’s fantastic but only meant for sealing knots on outside applications.

Zinsser Bullseye 123 is the stuff you need.

Or you could just go with Zinsser All Coat which is self priming and can be mixed in any colour. I use it at work all the time and it’s great stuff.

Definitely do your prep though. I would wet sand with a very fine abrasive 3M pad then clean down with sugar soap.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I experimented with 123 on a dark brown external upvc door after painting kitchen cupboards with it.
    The door was going to be changed but 5 years later it’s still looking good even though it’s south facing.
    You need to work fast with it as it goes off pretty quick and from memory you need a specific brush cleaner.

The Zinsser help line offers very knowledgeable advice 👍

lambchop
    Free Member

“from memory you need a specific brush cleaner”

Bullseye 123 is water based so it’s clean up with water

B.I.N. is cleaned with methylated spirits.

And yes you do have to work fast. I wipe the surface down with a damp rag apply paint with a mini roller then lay off with a Purdy Monarch brush.

matt_outandabout

Our front door and side window are in Zinsser.
    Supplier sprayed main frame and doors, I hand painted the trims and a small window they forgot…
    Painted 5 years ago and still look like new.

patagonian
    Free Member

Did my front door with Zinsser Bullseye about 4 years ago and it still looks very good. I actually went for Dulux external top coat and its south facing in full sun.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.