Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Painting pine furniture
  • molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve been told that, in order to paint this cot bed we have we need to rub down with wire wool, use primer then paint with gloss. The old finish kind of looks varnishy but it’s matt and quite thin. Some kind of PU maybe, I dunno.

So the first question – rubbing down with wire wool doesn’t appear to be doing anything – maybe the finish is a bit more matt up against the light, not sure. So it might’ve roughed it up I suppose.

Secondly – after painting a couple of test pieces with primer it seems heavy brush marks are unavoidable. The coverage is not good and the surface is not at all smooth. Will the gloss cover this up or does it need to be sanded smooth, reapplied and sanded again?

Stoner
    Free Member

primer will leave brush marks.

Gloss will settle into a more even finish. Two coats shouldnt be neccessary. Keying is er, key, though 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s keying?

Poindexter
    Free Member

I’ve recently discover Zinsser Coverstain (you can get it from Trade1st.co.uk) and it’s the best all-round primer/sealer I’ve ever used. You can use it to cover any old paint, varnish etc with minimal keying.
    Even seals stained wood so your gloss doesn’t yellow or discolour.

Stoner
    Free Member

keying = rubbing down.

Whether with wire wool or sandpaper it takes off the old shine and gives the new paint enough to bond to.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it enough just to give it a quick rub with wire wool then? Is there something I can look for to see if it’s sufficiently rough?

Already bought primer and paint mind.

whytetrash

ESP fella used it on the pine kitchen units…its ace just wipe on no rubbing required! B&Q stock it I think…really is easy!

Stoner
    Free Member

a medium weight sandpaper will do it.

Or wire wool and elbow grease if you’re a sucker for punishment.

I wouldnt stress over it. Modern primers and glosses are very good at bonding and giving an even finish. Just make sure you give it a good clean between sanding and painting to get the dust off.

wwaswas

if the pine is flat panels then a gloss roller leaves an excellent finish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Painting pine furniture’ is closed to new replies.