Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Painting old shed
  • i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Old shed in my garden isn’t in the best of the condition but should last a few more years before it falls down.

It’s previously been finished with some sort of stain or Cuprinol crap.

Is there any way to paint it in something like pastel green and for that finish to last a few years before peeling off? I can’t be bothered doing a lot of prep to the timber. 😀

damascus
    Free Member

I had a terrible shed that I kept patching up for years. Kept re felting it and replaced the door. I used recycled wood from a pallet to keep the costs down.

I also braced the roof as it was chipboard and once it gets wet it has no strength.

I just keep a lawn mower, spade and forks and buckets etc in it so I didn’t really care.

It lasted but when I was round at the neighbours to borrow something I looked back at my shed from his view and I was embarrassed. It looked terrible.

So I bought a tongue and groove tiger shed in the sale, 8x6ft delivered for £300 with a 20 year guarantee. Came pre stained. It looks so much better and now I’ve organised it there’s space in there now to paint things. I should have done it a long time ago.

Id just stain it again if it’s already been stained or just buy a new one.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Ive painted one of those wooden garden storage chests thet had previously been stained. Just gave it a quick rub down & used cuprinol shades paint. Went on no problem, looks good, seems to be lasting well too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hotstuff
    Free Member

No nonsense outdoor paint from Screwfix, half the price of the rest, covers well and gives a really durable finish.
    Limited colour range but what they have is nice. Just built a new workshop in the garden and painted it Sky Blue to match the older bike and lawn mower shed and that’s what everyone comments on, not the fabulous workmanship but the lovely colour.

cp

No nonsense outdoor paint from Screwfix, half the price of the rest, covers well and gives a really durable finish.

This – it’s really good stuff. We were in a similar position with side gate and outhouse doors. Two coats of this stuff and it’s covered old wood well and is lasting really well.

BillMC

My old shed was dry and curling up but responded astonishingly well to Cuprinol. The other shed is covered in F and B that has stayed intact for a few years. Not much in it apart from preference.

granny_ring

I used barn paint on my shed, trying to remember the make…….it was pricey but has lasted a few years. Probably needs doing again.
    Not sure what clours they have, I’ll have a butchers.

EDIT

Barn Paint

shows what colours are available too.

timber

Not especially green, but old engine oil will preserve it better than things you can buy and aid its clearance when you no longer need the shed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Painting old shed’ is closed to new replies.