Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Painting Front Door – Fibreglass / plasticy finish and painting.
  • jlc
    Free Member

We have two external doors and they are a little faded in places and need tidying up. The house is only 20 years old and they are a texture fibreglass / plastic mock wood effect finish. It’s certainly not wood but I am not sure what the finish is. Any ideas of how best to repaint these? Do I lightly sand down or paint / stain over them. Any help would be very much appreciated. Pretty sure the centre of the door is wood and it’s just an approx 4mm external and internal finish. Thanks

BlobOnAStick

1 Have you tried a light abrasive to bring back the colour? Something like T-cut might restore the colour – try it in an inconspicuous place first!

2 International Toplac boat enamel is pretty good; formulated to be outside all the time and applicable to many types of base including fibreglass, but once the door is painted there’s no going back!

flowergirl
    Free Member

Take a look at Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer. Couple of coats of that, then eggshell to finish.

midlifecrashes

Fablon Vinyl wrap, like the youth are doing on Toyota Corollas.

schmiken

Frenchic paint is perfect for that.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Bedec MSP (multi-surface paint)

Give the door a wipe down, a quick dry, paint with the above and then go out on a bike ride.

It really is that easy….. brilliant brilliant paint used it on my fibreglass garage doors, still looks great 4 years later.

Have fun

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Painting Front Door – Fibreglass / plasticy finish and painting.’ is closed to new replies.