Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Paint – What's the best? (dull VOC content)
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, the Formaggio Fortress needs decorating – pretty much every room. I’ve been putting this off for ages using the excuse that there’s no point until we’ve had an extension done. Well, the plasterer comes on Monday to plaster the aforementioned extension so I know that I’ll be cursing with paintbrush in hand very soon.

So, paint. I usually get minimal VOC content paint and had mixed results in the past (needs meet Mrs Feet’s eco friendly & won’t kill children, small animals, etc. criteria!). Gloss work results being particularly ‘variable’. Does anyone have any recommendations for any brand or particular paint?

I shall ponder some more whilst avoiding committing to decorating dates by going for a ride in a bit 😀

alanl
    Free Member

Anything bought from a Crown/Dulux/Brewers decorating centre will be better than the rubbish sold at B&Q et al.

I’ve gone to Dulux Satinwood recently, having been stung by the yellowing gloss of a few years ago. It’s great paint, but, obviously, satin rather than gloss.
    Always use Trade formula emulsion.

yunki
    Free Member

That stuff in outlandish colours that’s on the tv ads at the moment looks ace 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Eico do some lovely quality paint.. very envrio friendly

Welcome to eicó paints

honeybadgerx

Clay paint of various kinds, earthborn, etc. Maybe look into lime washes as well, there are some modern mixes available now that are easy to use and have good colour ranges.

sam_underhill

The dulux satinwood has a nice finish and is easy to work with. Sadly it still yellows a bit in areas with little natural light. I guess that’s the trade off for being low voc.

sam_underhill

For walls, especially undecoats, the big trade dulux emulsion is excellent.

project
    Free Member

Wickes paint , made by leyland is very good, buy one get one free.

matt_outandabout

The whole paint thing is ‘interesting’ when it comes to health. I used to sell all sorts of eco paint – NBT, Biofa and OSMO.

The natural paints were often marked down for having high VOC’s – yet they were natural oils, with low health impacts.

The natural paint cleaner was supposedly uber safe and eco – yet concentrated citrus acid (our degreasers in bike terms) are nasty acids still…

NBT made a trade range of paints, still crude oil based, but much better for health and environment that both the eco ranges and the ‘normal’ dulux (etc) stuff.

For ultra natural, look at clay, limewash or casein paint.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Paint – What's the best? (dull VOC content)’ is closed to new replies.