Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Paint rollers or pads?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

We’re painting a few rooms and have seen some people claim that paint rollers are for chumps and paint pads are the hot new thing. I’ve also seen 1 star reviews on cheap pads on Amazon.

Help me STW, should I buy a set of paint pads because they’re great, or just stick with rollers?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I used pads years ago and there were not all that. Used rollers since and every decorator I’ve used at home or seen working elsewhere use rollers or good old brushes. Cant recall ever seeing a pro decorator using pads.

rossburton
    Free Member

Suspected that would be the case…

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

That said using pads on a ceiling was a god send. No drips and spray and job done. Ive used pads on walls and pretty happy. I had the ones from wickes which seemed much better than the cheap spongey ones. BTW IANAD

DrJ

Pads are much slower than rollers. Or maybe that’s just the way I paint!

BearBack
    Free Member

Pads are great for water based verathane ime. rollers for paint.

rockandrollmark

Pads, or any other form of applying paint to walls that isn’t a roller and a paint tray is just a gimmick.

The pros use rollers. You should use a roller because it’s what the pros use.

jim25

The real pros use brushes for a perfect finish, if using rollers and you want a quality finish on smooth walls, use a short pile roller and sand down with atleast P180 grit Inbetween coats

Lazgoat
    Free Member

For edges the pads win hands down. Rollers for the bulk of the wall and pads for the edges?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Pads for the edges sounds like a plan. I hate the cutting-in with a brush, malarkey.

dyna-ti

Pads, or any other form of applying paint to walls that isn’t a roller and a paint tray is just a gimmick.

The pros use rollers. You should use a roller because it’s what the pros use.

Worked for an architect doing the showroom build for Vitra, and we used pads, as well as rollers.
    Personally with rollers if the paint is quick drying, going over it it can pick up the dried surface of the finish and deposit it back on, meaning it needs removed and start again. Pads have been in use since the 80’s Rollers are a very quick way to apply finish over a large area leaving a reasonably smooth finish.
    Pads are good for edging, especially close in to right angles of walls, where the edge of the roller catches the opposing wall.

My thruppence ha’penny worth, if it helps 🙂

lambchop
    Free Member

Roller everytime. Purdy white Dove sleeves, Purdy Monarch brushes, Purdy roller and a Purdy extension pole. Yep I’m a Purdy Fanboi

jonba
    Free Member

Poor quality, Pads, rollers or brushes will give you a poor finish.

Pads never made it into the industrial world that I experienced.

Rollers do give a characteristic finish with Matt wall paints, as do brushes when you are cutting in if you are a little heavy handed.

pocpoc
    Free Member

After pondering for a few years I tried out some pads for the first time last year. The paint went on much thicker, but probably too thick. The sponge of the pad absorbed half a tin of paint which was then wasted at the end. It was much slower but slightly more satisfying to use but all the dragging around sideways put a weird strain on my elbow that wasn’t comfortable.
    I stick with a roller now knowing that I’ve scratched that itch and it wasn’t a magic solution to my general dislike of painting walls.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rollers for large areas
    Brushes for cutting in at the corners
    Pads for… um very smooth finish?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Paint rollers or pads?’ is closed to new replies.