Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Paint off frame.. nylonbrush on a drill .. good idea?
  • jeb

I have a Specialized camber frame, and i like to remove the paint, it seem quite thick.
    Last time i sanded, and used Nitromors, but it took ages!

I got this round sort of nylon brush, that fits a electric drill, is a good idea to try that, any technique?

or something completely different, -i am looking for the quickest way.

Thanx

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Did you leave the nitromors on for long enough? It got the paint off easily – admittedly off an old steel racer.

I put it on and left it over night until it had dried and could be cracked off.

mrjmt
    Free Member

take it to local powder coaters and have them strip it?

spawnofyorkshire

Having done two frames with nitromors i would now happily go it it dipped or media blasted
    A few goes over with fine grit wet’n’dry paper and then a good polish with Autosol and it’ll look sweet

Edit: Have a look at soda blasting, cheap and less potential for damage

andysredmini
    Free Member

After spending hours as a kid sanding my bike frames before a respray I now just take them to the local chemical strippers. It cost £10 for a frame and they normally do it within 24 hours. No way would I ever bother sanding one again. By the time you have bought the sanding supplies it will probably cost you more anyway,
    I also wouldn’t go for media blasting. Its very easy for the operator to get carried away and start removing frame material. When done correctly its perfectly fine but still not as good as chemical stripping. I normally get my one frame stripped and powdercoated a couple of times a year just because I fancy a change and its so easy to do.

spawnofyorkshire

I was going to get my old boardman frame soda blasted because it’s got loads of filler to give it a smooth look over the welds.
    If the frame has no filler then def get it dipped.

Northwind

Modern nitromors is pish, they took out the deadly chemicals. You can buy the active ingredient easly, it goes through paint like butter but it’s a pain to use as it’s fully liquid- splashes and doesn’t stay where it’s put.

Stripping decent paint off a frame is a pain in the arse, I’d get a pro to do it

jeb

It is a full-suspension frame!

-so cant be dipped or blasted, due to the bearings…………

But i will try to drill away the top layer of paint and some nitromors on.

vincienup
    Free Member

If you’re mechanically removing paint, the amount of crap you’regenerating iisn’t going to help the bearings anyway. I’d just remove them to strip and paint…

Northwind

Aye, full suss can be dipped and/or blasted, I had mine blasted and re-anodised. If you want to do a proper job of respraying you’ll want to strip it down fully anyway

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire – Member
    I was going to get my old boardman frame soda blasted because it’s got loads of filler to give it a smooth look over the welds.
    If the frame has no filler then def get it dipped.

I stripped my Boardman……………no filler on welds. The welds must be ground down and smoothed in the factory.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Aye, full suss can be dipped and/or blasted, I had mine blasted and re-anodised. If you want to do a proper job of respraying you’ll want to strip it down fully anyway

Where did you get this done NW? Been looking to get mine stripped and reanodised, but been a bit apprehensive about finding somewhere that could do a decent job.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Paint off frame.. nylonbrush on a drill .. good idea?’ is closed to new replies.