Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pain/aches in legs whilst running… keep going or rest?
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all, just started to do a bit of running on a treadmill again and on my second day.

Whilst running Im getting a few aches and pains in my legs,nothing to bad but enough to feel, after I stop running the pain has normally gone within an hour or so and the next day Im fine.

I only do a 35 min session which includes a 5 min warm up and then running/jogging at no more than 10km/h

Should I rest more than the day i do already or is it my legs and body just getting used to running again so just persevere ?

cheers

Steve

soobalias
    Free Member

dont run on a treadmill.

only you can judge your pain, usually real pain is not felt much after you warm up and you make it worse then really suffer afterwards…..sounds like you want an excuse to stop.

IANAD

renton
    Free Member

nope dont want to stop, want to carry on and get fitter but without damaging myself !!

surfer
    Free Member

Then at some point some degree of “pain” is inevitable. As above you need to judge if it is “discomfort” or if it is significant or a sign of something more sinister.
    Doesnt sound out of the ordinary to me.

Disclaimer: I have no medical training

mogrim

Probably just your body getting used to it, try extending the warm up and make sure you have another 5-6 min at the end of walking to cool down?

Edit: surfer’s disclaimer clause +1. Not a medic!

Coyote
    Free Member

Where is the pain? When I started about 12 months ago I was getting a lot of knee pain. Eventually this subsided as my body got used to doing something it hadn’t done for 25 years. 🙂 Now I occasionally get pain in my lower leg / ankle area. Have left off doing any running for a couple of weeks now. Will be going for first one tonight. Let’s see how it goes.

Steve77
    Free Member

Yeah if you’re getting joint pain or achilles soreness take it easier for sure

glupton1976
    Free Member

Would you expect to be able to run straight out of the door for 35 minutes without building up to it? I know I wouldnt. Try starting with shorter distances and build up gradually.

This information comes through experience – I pushed on and couldnt run for about 3 years having given myself a really good dose of achilles tendinopathy in both legs.

tomd
    Free Member

You’re probably over doing it. If you’re posting on here, I guess you cycle a bit? When I start running when I haven’t run for ages (but have been cycling) my CV system is better than my legs are at running. So I don’t feel tired but get all kinds of aches and pains. Someone else who hadn’t been cycling would have had to stop due to blowing out of ass.

Why not reduce the amount to say 20minutes (still a decent run) and build it up over a month or so? In the longer run you’ll avoid injury so be in a better place in a few months.

Hope that helps.

Jamie
    Free Member

f you’re posting on here, I guess you cycle a bit?

Heh

tomd
    Free Member

Oh yeah sorry I forgot

Coyote
    Free Member

lol!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pain/aches in legs whilst running… keep going or rest?’ is closed to new replies.