pain in bent thigh when doing a seated hamstring stretch

Home Forum Bike Forum pain in bent thigh when doing a seated hamstring stretch

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • pain in bent thigh when doing a seated hamstring stretch
  • Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

hiya. have found recently I have a real tightness in my thigh (almost the outside of my hip) when doing a seated hamstring stretch. wondering what stretch I need to do to target this muscle or whether they will just loosen with the stretch h I’m doing for my hamstring.

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

that is in the leg that’s bent not the one that is being stretched 🙂

boxfish

Could be tight hip flexors?

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

wouldn’t surprise me..pretty bad at doing regular stretches but have realised I am massively inflexible! need to sort it out 🙂

Herman Shake

Excuse me if you know already, but it’s good to get your heart rate up before stretching to get your engines firing. A bit of joint mobilisation (wiggling bits of your body) helps release synovial fluid, our built in joint lube. So do this before you engage in a stretch.

Don’t go too hard on yourself to make up for lost time, progressive and regular will get you much further than heavy and occasional training. 15-30 seconds is considered a good duration to hold the stretch for.

Also check out some of the yoga vids on youtube, using the breath helps focus and alleviates the strain; like exhaling when lifting something heavy.

I would avoid the seated hamstring stretch you’re doing as it’s pulling other areas. There are tons of separate hip and hamstring yoga poses which isolate the area. Listen to your body when stretching; tight’s fine, pain’s bad.

Here’s a bit of Tara Stiles, she’s well bendy 😉 Her stuff is progressive, accessible and there’s tons of it out there on YT.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEeYRh7UR0[/video]

Premier Icon maxray
    Subscriber

nice one thanks!

glupton1976

I have no idea about anything that’s been said in any post on this thread.

Why would you be doing seated hamstring stretches?

And what does synovial fluid and a high heart rate have to do with getting a good stretch?

There is no set time for which it is best to hold a stretch – “until the muscle releases” is the best duration for a stretch – that may come in a couple of seconds, but may take minutes.

Herman Shake

Synovial fluid lubricates joints but only releases after a bit of encouragement for efficiency. Raising heart rate and temperature is like kneading a bit of blu-tak before stretching it; it makes things more elastic and reduces injury. Blu-tak snaps/tears when cold and stretched as do muscle fibres and tendons (micro tears in this case). Joints are involved in stretching and are the part of the OP’s pain/discomfort therefore a little understanding about how to work with them is relevant.

HR doesn’t need to be super high, but elevated from resting (I can’t recall the ideal amount, jogging on the spot does the trick) You’re right about maximum time, my time suggestion is more of a no less than guidance. I sometimes see people ‘hold’ a stretch for 2-3 seconds and assume it’s had enough effect. Until the muscle releases may be a very long time, yoga breathing guidance helps as exhaling can aid release in small steps.

Everything’s connected one way or another, joints, stretching, breathing and heart rate happen to be quite closely linked.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘pain in bent thigh when doing a seated hamstring stretch’ is closed to new replies.