• This topic has 66 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hels.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • paid £3000 in to the wrong bank account……
  • wwaswas

if they ask him to sign soemthing before they pay him the £2500 he's stuffed.

at the risk of repeating myself.

get some professional advice.

zaskar
    Free Member

£10 -30 admin cost max but £500 is taking the pi55!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jeebus, I struggle to comprehend how bloody helpless people are sometimes.

FFS TreeWhatTree, tell your mate to sort himself out will you. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Reading a few different posts on different sites- its not as clear cut. 😯

****. and you dont always have to enter/correspond an account name either.

Deadlydarcy, this 'friend' might be the OP himself?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Deadlydarcy, this 'friend' might be the OP himself

Yeah, I'd sort of considered that hora…good point all the same though.

Honestly, though, if some fecker was trying to sting me out of five hundred quid like that, I'd be going mucking fental. I just wish people wouldn't let themselves get bloody walked all over so easily. It just encourages the baddies to keep trying.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Take the £2,500 and get my friend to pay the company a visit for the rest!!!

What a bunch of A-holes!!!

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Wwaswas yes I agree and have passed on that he should speak to a professional

Deadlydarcy, when I started this he had been to the bank and they had pretty much said that it was his fault and not their problem so just thought I would put up a the question to the wise SFW collective, he has been sorting things slowly but he did sh1t a brick when he was first told “it was your mistake, and we can’t tell you who’s account you have credited your £3000 too”

Hora I’m surprised that it has taken this long for someone to draw that conclusion, but if it were my £3000 I would have been down the police station the same day to get things moving and once the back made it clear that they were going to be a pain.

Thanks again for all your comments I did also LMAO at the http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/some-idiot-put-3-grand-into-my-account-what-bike-should-i-buy thread as did several people in my office (I didn’t show the bloke that misplaced the money as at that point he really was not a happy bunny……

hora
    Free Member

Hw has now spoken to the company that has his money, and they are saying that they will only return £2500 of his £3000 as it was has fault!!!!

that can't be right can it?

thay have confirmed that they are not owed to the money but are saying that they have the right to keep some of it….. this does not sound right to me.

I missed this bit. Wondered what the £500 replies were about.

Is this in writing? Is this the companies official line?

This is a totally different situation. Is this admission in writing? Does the person who said this own the company?

Is it a big company?

I'd give the Police a call and take professional advice as mentioned. Its extortion in my books- they've even admitted they are not owed the money. Occasionally we have had money paid into our company bank account- its always returned as we have to balance the books for the annual Audit and tax purposes. It sounds like this person wouldnt be letting it near his books and as such pocketing £500 without declaring this as earnings for tax. I'd get them to put something in writing- even an email from their work address.

Only once – we were told not to repay the amount (I know mad). So our then company owner gave the money to a charity instead. (Noble fella).

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

I'm not sure who he has been talking to but he said he thinks its a small company and only has a phone number ( I have suggested he google the phone number to see if he can find out the company name.

he has nothing in writing with them and tells me that he did not agree on the phone that they could keep £500 but I think he is going to wait until he gets the £2500 back so at least he has that before taking things further.

But as suggested above I would probably have gone to the police to report it and then to a solicitor to get them to send a letter…. but it takes all sorts!

ComradeD
    Free Member

If you've supplied the wrong information that its your fault im afraid. You don't have aleg to stand on. The bank can't give you any infromation regarding who its gone to due to DPA. They will contact the person that its gone to but they cant force them to give you the money back. If it was the banks error then it would be a different story.

There was a case on the BBC which was virtually the same. Person transfered £3k into the wrong account and she didn't get a penny back.
    Take the £2500, your lucky to get that back.

Don't bother going to the police, they won't do anything, its not a crime.

I work for a bank and have come across this quite a few times and its up to the person on the recieving end to give the money back. Thats it

cynic-al
    Free Member

If he knows who the company is, sue them in the small claims court.

Coyote
    Free Member

I work for a bank and have come across this quite a few times and its up to the person on the recieving end to give the money back. Thats it

That's can't be right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That's can't be right.

+1

ComradeD
    Free Member

found the story on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8251679.stm

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Look up the law on unjust enrichment.

basically if someone makes money that they had no right to, they have to pay it ALL back.

He might have to go to court, but the court will order it all to be repaid

hora
    Free Member

Shes paid someone before. Ok surely she'd have known who she was paying or could track back through paper or email correspondence? I mean she wouldn't have paid into some random account previously unlike the OP would she?

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

the post by thegreatape "Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit (Section 24A Theft Act)" looks to be the exact situation. I have passed this on and he has some of the money back but still not the full £3000!

hora
    Free Member

How much?

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

£2000 better than nothing but still…..

hora
    Free Member

£1,000 gained for no work done. How can that **** sleep at night. I most certainly wouldnt leave it there. Surely with the return of the money there is a trace/receipt/something admitting original receipt?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

It's incredible how some people are. Whilst most would just give it back as no hassle I see that some would try it on for the whole lot but holding back £1k? Crazy. If wanting to hold back some due to hassle involved then a sensible amount – £50?

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

it was paid in cash over the counter so nithing to trace it back to him…. but I agree I would not leave it there either, the person has said he will pay him another £500 today but is not planning on giving back the last £500, if it were me at that point I would go to the police (with a printed copy of the "Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit (Section 24A Theft Act)" ) and ask them if they would call him on his behalf. I'm not sure they would but worth an ask…..

hora
    Free Member

tiger_roach agree. The person at the other end is probably trying it on bigtime and will only hand it all back if the poor fella (whose probably pulling his hair out) went properly legal. After all, why hand anything back if the person on the other end thinks theres no comeback? Why hold onto a grand that you are neither owed or entitled to? Just seems odd.

I don't know why it bothers me soo much but injustice just does 🙁

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I feel for you and your work colleague we have had banks transfer the money into another account (their error) and we struggled to get the money back for 2 weeks….. (this has happened twice although Natwest were more helpful than Abbey National). YBS managed to credit a closed account but they were extremely apologetic – Maybe I just deal with the cluts…

inbred853

Get majority of money back
    Close all accounts with bank
    Get your own 500 pounds worth of, "pleasure", from said business.

hels
    Free Member

Is the company Ryan Air by any chance ? Thats sounds cheap for one of their processing fees !!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘paid £3000 in to the wrong bank account……’ is closed to new replies.