Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pah – cheeky bloody lease companies and servicing….
  • oceanskipper

So I am on my 4th lease car which is coming to an end and I’m looking for a replacement. I always do 3 year leases as it seems to be the most cost effective. No need for an MOT, car is always in warranty and only need to do two services (one in the case of my BMW as they are every 2 years – result!). I also get away with not replacing any tyres or brake pads.

So I was talking to a main dealer today and she was trying to sell me the servicing package (not maintenance, servicing only) and I pointed out that paying monthly for three services over three years was not of any interest to me as I would only be servicing it twice…….

Not so says she – It’s written into the contracts now that you have to do three services! WTF? Cheeky buggers.

If I get this particular car I’ve a good mind to do the third service 2 months after the second so it’s still due a service when I hand it back…

EDIT – I haven’t actually seen the contract it’s just what she told me on the phone so it may not be the case…

airvent
    Free Member

It’s not really cheeky if it’s their servicing schedule, it’s their terms either accept it of find a different brand. Services are a rip off whether you have to do two or three so you should already feel ripped off! £250 to change the oil and take a quick video of the underside of the car no thanks

Edit just noticed it’s BMW, they’re the kings of ‘i saw you coming’ and ‘fleet car so do what you want to it and the company will be paying’.

oceanskipper

Except it’s not been written into any of the contracts that I have had thus far that you must do three services. All they say is it must be serviced according to the manufacturer’s schedule. The schedule is always that the service computer says service due in xxx miles or days which is a point in time AFTER I give it back. I had a Merc that was PDI’d a month before they delivered it and when I rang them to say that this would mean that the third service and the MOT would be due BEFORE I handed it back they paid for both!

Edit just noticed it’s BMW

My current is a BMW but the new one isn’t going to be.

dc1988

Waiting two years to service a car is a terrible idea

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Can I shock you?
    Yes, my car is significantly newer than yours

trail_rat
    Free Member

Concerned about the cost of a service having paid for the most expensive 3 years of the life seems a bit low on the level of things to worry about

If it’s written into new contract take your business else where …..

sockpuppet

I also get away with not replacing any tyres or brake pads.

This must save you a fortune! 😂

Superficial
    Free Member

I handed my 2 year lease back a day early so the first service (due at 2 years) didn’t fall within the lease term. Big brain move.

I guess you have people like me to thank for the way your contract has been written 😅

oceanskipper

^^^ You and me both but they’ve clearly got wise to the fact that they are having to service all the cars before they hand them on and are now forcing the punters to do it instead. 🙄

TheGingerOne

You either pay for it as a service, or you pay for it in your monthly cost which would no doubt be higher. You will still be paying for it either way. Nothing in life is free!

CountZero

Waiting two years to service a car is a terrible idea

Why, when the manufacturer states that’s when it should be done; they, after all, know the vehicles better than you do.
    My Ford was first registered in June last year, it’s first service isn’t due until June next year, or 18,000 miles, whichever come first; it’ll be close, it’s done about 9500 miles so far, 6600 since I got it in August. When I checked the oil condition with the vehicle’s onboard diagnostic system, it was on 16% of its working life.
    Perhaps you know more about the EcoBoost engine than Ford do, though…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Perhaps you know more about the EcoBoost engine than Ford do, though…

Or perhaps they know it’ll last just long enough on average to not be under warrenty and out of its lease when it fails due to poor service conditions. Because the customer demands not to have to pay for a service. – see op.

Or in ford ecoboosts case ….ford banked on it blowing up and catching fire before the service interval became. Issue.
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-ecoboost-engine-failures-customers-receive-refunds

You only have to look at where the same engines used in many different vehicles to see that service intervals have just become a marketing tool. One engine….many intervals.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pah – cheeky bloody lease companies and servicing….’ is closed to new replies.