Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Paging on the new forum! (paging the mods I guess)
  • nixie

I know paging was frowned upon on the old forum but with this new version email addresses are hidden in profiles making a little harder. Is paging still banned?

Side note, is anyone else have issues getting into their own profile page?

miketually
    Free Member

email addresses are hidden in profiles

I’ve put my email address in under interests, so it shows up on my profile.

Is paging still banned?

Yes. A paging thread was closed by a mod on the chat forum.

is anyone else have issues getting into their own profile page?

No. Just click your name at the top of the screen. Though I get an error message when I try to look at your profile.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can display your e-mail in profile if you put it down as additional info as say your job or location – check out my profile for example …should we not all just do this instead???
    Can access profile easily

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixie

Good plan, will do that when I can get in there! I’ll email Tom then to see if he knows what up with the profile page.

DezB
    Free Member

I put mine in the web-site field. As “mailto:dezb@…etc”
    It’s a direct link then.

Mark

It’s still early days for us in terms of the shape the new forum and indeed the rest of the site will take. There’s lots of new functionality we want to implement so until we get that all developed, tested and switched on (although it’s new stuff is appearing every day at the moment so we aren’t talking very long) the old forum rules still apply by default.. So no paging threads please for the time being.

I may as well give you an update on how things are here while I’m at it..

Legal machinations are still ongoing.. can’t talk too much about that at the moment but lets just say that insurance companies are off my Christmas list. Can someone tell me why we pay thes epeople for a service that when we ask to use it they treat us like we are making a big mistake and ‘don’t you realise that by claiming your premium will increase?’ .. If you don’t want us to make a claim why sell us a F…….g policy?

….and relax…….

Anyway.. the good stuff..

The site hasn’t fallen over so far and the general reaction to this forum is pretty good.

We are bringing our subscription delivery system in house. It’s a mahoosive job! We are setting up and transferring Direct Debit instructions of almost 3000 of our 4500 mag subscribers. The hoops we have had to jump through with the banks and BACS are really quite scary but we’ve done it. Today we are mailmerging our subscriber database and printing, folding, stamping and posting 3000 letters of notification. Everyone here is being recruited to fold and post tonight using the incentive of free pizza. This is a job that is the main focus of our attention at the moment and so development of the site is slightly slowed down.. But it is still going on.

There’s still loads to do and both of our Toms are madly poking the matrix to get it all back up and running. The other quite amazing news is that we are already back to 80% of our pre-Christmas traffic and yesterday we delivered 140,000+ page views. So we have to say thanks to you all for sticking with us 🙂

I’ll keep you updated on new developments as they happen and hopefully you see them as they appear too.

Cheers

Mark

Tom
    Free Member

We’re aware of the lack of a visible email field, and we hope to add it soon. For now we suggest using one of the other available fields as others have done.

druidh
    Free Member

General forum question – you’re back up to 80% of previous traffic, but (AFAIK) there have been no forum slow-downs. Have you employed new super-fit hamsters, or are they now using Ti and Carbon wheels?

nixie

Cool, thanks Mark/Tom I’m glad to here the traffic is getting back to normal! This forum does seem a lot better than old one, I’ve not notice any speed issues yet either 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Have you employed new super-fit hamsters, or are they now using Ti and Carbon wheels?

I think they moved to both a new server and a new host, as well as the new software.

scaredypants

I think the objection to “paging” generally has been overblown – Can’t believe it really needs mods to remove posts; if users don’t like it, let them say so on the thread and the message will be heard

I once put up a post with the word paging in it’s title, though from the content it was clearly not really paging one person (just like someone posted “paging singlespeedstu” inside a thread earlier). The modding just seems a bit petty sometimes (yeah, it’s all free and the mods are doing it for love etc (and I’ve been here long enough to suspect that I quite like it))….

Anyway, congratulations on getting it all back up again so soon

Mark

The no paging rule is a good one. The site used to clog up with loads of them and was the most complained about issue for a time. It makes sense too.. The forum is a place for general discussion with the entire readership as a potential audience. Paging threads are personal messages better served by email. It’s just a rule designed to make the forum as useful to everyone as possible.

muttley
    Free Member

Please do try to reinstate the search forums feature 😕

Tom
    Free Member
    CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I think the forum works really well. The only things I would really like to see changed are:
    1) One the main forum page, show the thread originator not the last poster, and list the threads in the order they were started, not by when the last post was. Some threads can get buried very quickly
    2) Have a “go to top” button

Tom
    Free Member

We hear the thing about thread originator.
    There is a ‘Top of Page’ link in the bottom right corner of every page.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good effort. Will there be PM functionality in the pipeline?

What percentage of total STW traffic does the forum constitute, if you don’t mind me asking?

scaredypants

There is a ‘Top of Page’ link in the bottom right corner of every page

ooooh, never seen that before…as it’s beyond the right edge of my screen

Is there an easy way (at this end) to make this page not fixed width? (fieryfox if that matters)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

ooohh!

Topic Author now shown instead of last poster.

Ta 😀

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll second the request for a PM facility – I thought that was what this thread was about, and that we weren’t supposed to discuss that for a minute 😳

chipps

Ta

You talk, we listen.
    It’s something we reckon you don’t always get with other magazines 🙂

As Mark and the Toms have mentioned, we’re still adding stuff daily – hourly even – and if something currently doesn’t work or is annoying you, then it’s probably annoying us too and is being added to the list. Give us a couple of weeks (during which time we need to crank out the next issue too) and we’ll get there.

And to add to Mark’s comments – we really appreciate the support we’ve had from our readers over the last few weeks. If you see me in a pub anywhere, then I’ll buy you a pint…

druidh
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I’ll second the request for a PM facility – I thought that was what this thread was about, and that we weren’t supposed to discuss that for a minute

A sticky about using the mailto: tag in the website address field would be a good start?

muttley
    Free Member

#
    muttley – Member

Please do try to reinstate the search forums feature [:?]
    Posted 2 hours ago #
    #
    Tom – Administrator

Thanks 😳

Hairychested
    Free Member

Well done boys!

Simon-E

Is there an easy way (at this end) to make this page not fixed width? (fieryfox if that matters)

Prolly not the answer you would like, but Opera 9 has a ‘fit to page’ icon on the status bar (or wherever else you want to put it) that does exactly that.

Edit/update: in Firefox 3 View > Zoom will shrink/enlarge the whole page, not just the text. There’s a separate Zoom Text Only as well.

scaredypants

Ah, thanks Simon E – mine was set to zoom text only, so text got tiny & page stayed the same

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Paging on the new forum! (paging the mods I guess)’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts