Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Paddling Pools – Great bit of Summer fun or potential health hazzard?
  • beamers

This is our first summer of paddling pool ownership and whilst setting about emptying and refilling it this weekend I noticed that along with the debris (couple of dead flies, small moths and a wet bumble bee clinging to a leaf for dear life) there were lots of tiny organisms swimming about in it!

Thes things were less than a mm long, thin and slightly wider at one end (the head end)

Something must have laid it's eggs in there and these were the result.

Pool must have been outside for about a week, and uncovered.

Anyone have any idea what they might be?

(The bumble bee made a full recovery bythe way after spending a couple of hours in the sun drying out.)

sobriety
    Free Member

Mosquito larvae?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

replace the water regularly.
    If you leave it for that long it will start to stagnate and become a large pond full of bacteria and insects 😯

beamers

Yup, I think they could have been baby mossies.

I thought as much.

Regular water replacement it is then.

Ta

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a 10ft paddling pool and chlorinate it, it costs buttons for the kit and lasts all summer.

kevonakona
    Free Member

or to cut down on the re-filling frequency just add salt.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

do you not need to re-chlorinate at regular intervals?

epicyclo

If it's used by kids empty it each use or you'll end up with faeces soup.

trb
    Free Member

I am the proud parent of toddlers, so after a weekend of them & their mates piddling in it I use it to water the garden.

Plus the missus is paranoid about them drowning in it if not closely supervised, so it has to be a small pool & left empty to maintain a relaxed household.

brassneck

I am the proud parent of toddlers, so after a weekend of them & their mates piddling in it I use it to water the garden.

Agreed, toddler soup is great for the veggies. Just remember to wash thoroughly after picking.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Paddling Pools – Great bit of Summer fun or potential health hazzard?’ is closed to new replies.