• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by crab.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Paddle boarding near Stonehenge
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I know there’s a few SUPers lurking on STW so I’m hoping for some guidance please. I am meeting a friend near Stonehenge on Friday evening then she is off to an event in the morning leaving me on my lonesome. It’s a couple of hours drive from Northampton so instead of heading home I thought I could pack my SUP and paddle somewhere new on the Saturday. Any locals care to share some good spots with me please?

Anna-B
    Free Member

I don’t SUP but do kayak, and no where springs to mind for you really, in the immediate vicinity. I do have one suggestion though, Basingstoke canal on the way home*? Have kayaked on it and seen SUPers there too, it’s not your average canal. The water was so clear in places you could see right to the bottom. Lots of wildlife. Check it out online, barley mow to Odiham and back one suggestion.

* not too far off your way home anyway!

malgrey
    Free Member

Kennet & Avon canal from Honeystreet near Pewsey, or similar for something a bit different to the East. Nice stretch with no locks, very rural. Plenty of other bits further east might work, and closer to direct way home, but more locks generally.
    Basingstoke Canal at Winchfield Hurst or Colt Hill Wharf in Odiham are also very much on the way home, and a better option if there is any wind as much is lovely woodland.
    Paddle Points for details.

simian
    Free Member

you’re one hour from the coast – Calshot or Beaulieu river may be worth it of you fancy the drive.

CountZero

Nobody seems to have looked at a map, which would have shown that the River Avon runs through Amesbury, and past Durrington Walls, a hugely important part of the Stonehenge complex, and which would have been used for all sorts of things, probably for many ceremonial purposes.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Yes, but mister p was specifically asking about places to use a SUP 😂 rather than is there a river nearby. The latter does not equate to the former, difficult as that may be to believe given the number of rivers in the area. It’s not even that easy to find somewhere to swim in a river round here*, or Salisbury.

* Round here being Amesbury, my hometown.

OwenP

Is the Avon accessible there? Most of my experience of it are extensive sections of ‘private keep out’ signs, because it is one of the famous chalk rivers and so highly valuable as a fly fishing area – like the next door Test and Itchen. Finding a public right of navigation could be a challenge?

Downstream is the Blashford Lakes waterpark though – wakeboard, sailing etc – could be a SUP option?

mikertroid
    Free Member

There is a river loop in Salisbury that’s paddleable….waist leach needed.

I’ve not done it yet, mainly as my waist leashes haven’t arrived yet.

Otherwise its the Kenet Canal nr Pewsey, or any number of spots on the S Coast.

jimdubleyou

If you’re prepared to drive a bit, a bit in the area…

PaddlePoints

kayak23

Is the Avon accessible there? Most of my experience of it are extensive sections of ‘private keep out’ signs, because it is one of the famous chalk rivers and so highly valuable as a fly fishing area

Highly unlikely that signs written by fishing groups hold any actual weight in law and are anything more than aspirational. This is a constant ‘thing’ in kayaking.

It’s a difficult thing but we’ve been conditioned mostly by fishing groups and toffs that we do not have a right of navigation. This is largely not the case.

Someone who knows more about the law might be along in a minute.

midlifecrashes

We stayed in a holiday cottage near Bradford on Avon a few years back, there were quite a few boarders using the Kennet and Avon and they all seemed happy.

manton69

If you access a river like the Avon you could paddle, but you will quickly find that you will have to get out and get round obstructions. In doing that you will not be on public land and will be trespassing. If you can please go and find somewhere with public access and egress, otherwise be prepared for some robust conversations with landowners.

kayak23

If they’ve obstructed passage, then you have little option but to trespass.

Unfortunately though, the hassle is often not worth it as you imply.
    This is a win for them though and perpetuates these archaic views.

crab
    Free Member

I don’t sup myself but the Basingstoke canal is very tranquil and quiet and has plenty of access points. From jct5 m3 it’s only a few minutes so pretty easy on your home journey. The bits around Winchfield pass through some great bits of woodland and countryside, a few pubs too if you fancied a quick pint.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Yes there is.

“The loop” to us locals. Details here (Credit to another local guy for creating this guide)

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/route/kayaking/united-kingdom/salisbury-loop-on-nadder-and-avon/215766644/#dm=1

I haven’t been on my board since end of summer, so there could be the odd tree down to negotiate.
    It’s a cool little loop with lots to look at.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That looks like a cracker, thank you!

a few pubs too if you fancied a quick pint.

You speak my language 😉

crab
    Free Member

MisterP there is a free car park opposite the Barleymow pub in Winchfield, right on the canal. 2/3 miles to Fleet and you have the Fox and hounds pub on the edge of Fleet, excellent food too. After you return you could always pop in at Pale lane jump park, really cool little place, it’s really near. Even if you don’t have your bike it’s good fun watching the local lads going huge on the bigger line. Edenbrook country park I think it’s called.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.