Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • paddlboards etc…rinsing kit…drought…
  • DT78
    Free Member

we have a hosepipe ban. my usual approach to rising kit is having it on the washing line and giving it a decent hose down.

as this isn’t doable how do others clean up their kit after use in the sea and stop it stinking?

inflatable 3 man kayak, sup, bouyance aids and rest of the kit

are you just leaving it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

If your always paddling in the same waterways. It wouldn’t bother me leaving it in these circumstances.

We paddle in a fair number of bodies of water and not cleaning between these would be irresponsible.- with the exception of going from any where else – to the sea. A single watering can with detergant and a brush would clean it – but rinsings with copious amounts of water is doing very little.

Wetsuit gets dragged into the shower behind me for a rinse – that’s the most succeptable to saltwater and stink.

Bruce

I sea kayak not paddle board but my paddling kit gets rinsed in a trug in the garden and if the water is not too salty, I empty the trug on the bit of garden that needs water. The boat gets rinsed with a hose or watering can if saving water is a priority.

matt_outandabout

^ trail_rat has it.

Local lochs and paddles, we don’t bother.

Journeys away, into other watersheds and places with known or visible issues – a good hose down of anything that touched the water.

Mrs_oab once went paddling in Lake of Mentieth and the boat was plasters in blue-green algae. I actually used household cleaner on it.

DT78
    Free Member

We mostly paddle at the hamble but also various local beachs, all tidal / sea.

Mostly keen to stop stuff smelling as it’s stored in the house in boy #1 wardrobe , and he has started complaining about the stink. I don’t mind a bit of mud or whatever on the kit,

scotroutes

Hosepipe use is permitted for “health and safety” purposes and I reckon that decontamination between outings would qualify. Of course, there’s an argument that doing an activity requiring such is unnecessary in the first place.

airvent
    Free Member

I would just do it to be honest. Theres a difference between taking the piss with a garden sprinkler for 2 hours a day and a couple of minutes rinsing something off. You’ll use far far more from taps in the house washing up etc.

DT78
    Free Member

Well we used the watering can and wifey doing a bit of scrubbing. Worked surprisingly well, only 3 watering cans needed.

flannol
    Free Member

Bucket dunk

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wetsuit just goes through the washing machine on the 15minute cycle with no spin.

Board just gets a wipe down with soapy water if it’s visibly dirty.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Some people recommend putting clothes in the freezer, as a way to slow bacterial growth.

Would that destroy wetsuits?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably, and you’d have a wet wetsuit full of your old sweat to put back on next time 🤮🤢.

You’re overthinking it, rinse in a bucket, or throw in the wahing machine. Either will probably use less water than a hosepipe which is kinda the idea.

matt_outandabout

Probably, and you’d have a wet wetsuit full of your old sweat to put back on next time

Only sweat?

#wetsuit_warmer

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t need rinsing unless it’s salt water, just drying. I’m not sure paddleboard need it with salt water either unless it’s got metal parts eg zips, but I could be wrong there.

Twodogs

Board just gets a wipe down with soapy water if it’s visibly dirty.

Seriously?! In nearly 50 years of surfing, windsurfing, SUPing I’ve never ever washed (or even rinsed) a board (unless I’m fixing a hole). And I’ve never put a wetsuit in the washing machine either!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only sweat?

Ewwwww, grim. Thankfully I’ve not reached that age yet where I can’t hold it in.

Seriously?! In nearly 50 years of surfing, windsurfing, SUPing I’ve never ever washed (or even rinsed) a board (unless I’m fixing a hole). And I’ve never put a wetsuit in the washing machine either!

Depends how hard your working, after a few hours sailing the water that runs out my boots is cloudy with sweat 🤢 washing machine (with no soap) is just the quickest, and least water using option to get it clean quickly.

grantyboy
    Free Member

same as Twodogs. In 10 years I’ve never rinsed a paddle board, but I’m 100% in the sea never freshwater.
    Wetsuit in a builders bucket with fresh water then hung to dry. Pi$$ Off wetsuit cleaner every few washes or if I had to “season the wok”

trail_rat
    Free Member

If I was in the sea 100% I wouldn’t bother either

We swim in various bodies of fresh water many with green algae in bloom .

I’m ok with washing mine to stop cross contamination

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.