Padded shorts/under shorts

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Padded shorts/under shorts
  • jayx2a

I use the standard quite cheap Endura ones at the moment – meant to be for 1-2 hours and the padding is pretty thin!

So in prep for the now signed up London to Brighton off road I am looking for something that is decent for longer distance and of course comfortable.

The Endura FS260 Pro shorts with the 600 series pad look decent – expensive but need to get something that is good!

There is also the top MTB decathlon MTB ones – but not sure if they will stack up.

Any other shorts (that can go under baggies) or under shorts that have a very good chamois.

Maybe i should try bib shorts again, but I just don’t seem to get on with them.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I have FS260 bib shorts. OK but I think the construction and the pads of Galibier are better.

Rockhopper

It must be my shape but I’m yet to find any padded shorts that have padding far enough back for me. I even wondered if I was wearing them back to front at one stage. They just don’t seem that great for the more upright mountain biking riding position.

Castelli, not cheap but VERY comfy

jonba

DHB aeron. The bib versions I use on the road and they are good. Done many a long ride in them.

It might be more comfortable to ditch the baggies and just wear lycra if the ride is long?

Premier Icon kelron
    Subscriber

Fox Evo liners are super comfy for me, you might be able to find them cheap included with clearance shorts.

jayx2a

Will have a look at the above mentioned ones!

kid.a

DHB Aeron are excellent. They’ve recently been revised. Chamois is best I’ve used.

jayx2a

So many bib shorts out there if I went that route. DHB ones seems reasonable price.

Got plenty of time to find the perfect ones but worth starting now!!

Premier Icon calv145
    Subscriber

I’m actually doing the London to Brighton off road route overnight tonight….and I’ll be wearing the GMBN bib shorts. They are great for long rides but I do use chamois cream on longer rides to help out. They aren’t too expensive either and I find bibs much more comfortable than normal shorts.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Morvelo shorts are really good – last well and the pad is a good shape (for me).

I splashed out on some Le Col ones earlier in the summer in prep for a road 100 and SDW in a day ride and, tbh, they’re the most comfortable shorts I’ve ever used. There’s usually a few £50 off vouchers floating about and if you join their Strava club they do mileage based reqards too.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I seem to get on with the decathlon pad. It’s quite thick though (and doesn’t get thin with age like some cheap bibs I have).

I would say, 95% of the benefit seems to be in having any pad at all (or even just seam free cycling shorts). The pad is there to allow the small amount of movement needed not to chafe away at your arese. My winter bibs just have a traditional chamois (albeit synthetic) pad and are still very comfortable.

So if your endura shorts are comfortable they’ll probably be fine.

I actually get on quite well with chinese counterfit cycling kit pads, they’re probably not all the same but the one I got was £15 for a jersey and shorts, the shorts are now looking a bit thin after a thousand miles or so but the jersey is fine (lasting better than most cheap ones TBH). Done 10-12 hour days in them without any discomfort.

Premier Icon johnjn2000
    Subscriber

It must be my shape but I’m yet to find any padded shorts that have padding far enough back for me. I even wondered if I was wearing them back to front at one stage. They just don’t seem that great for the more upright mountain biking riding position.

This. I have tried mega cheap (they were really sh!t) and mega expensive (a lot better) but still yet to find a pad that is like “sitting on a cloud” to quote an LBS sales guy who sold me my last pair

jayx2a

Will have a look at the DHB Aeron 2019 and maybe go to Decathlon and check out the pads in their ones.

jayx2a

Payday next week so will get round to ordering some of these!

Anyone know what the decathlon pad is rated for hours in the saddle wise? I was looking at the SingleTrack Liner Short – wondering of the padding is similar.

Was also looking at the DHB Aeron bib and non bib versions to try. – not sure how well these work under bagies though.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Anyone know what the decathlon pad is rated for hours in the saddle wise?

I know they rate them along similar lines “for cyclists who ride 3-4 times a week 3-4 hours at a time” or whatever, but it’s horseshit. If it fits it fits, their cheaper/beginner ones are just cheaper and lower spec e.g. the base layers aren’t a fitted cut and only made of one material, the entry level chamois is just a bit of synthetic chamois not a molded pad etc.

I did 100miles in the White Peak last weekend in my cheap ass chinese bibs. Because I know they’re comfortable.

jayx2a

My Endura ones are comfortable to wear but then become uncomfortable after a bit in the saddle. Being the basic ones, the padding just seems to be a bit of foam – and it goes flat quite quickly!

At least the decathlon ones look like something that might last a bit longer.

I’ve got some Gore ones recently (not sure what model) but they are the best I’ve tried by a long way. Don’t know what price they should have been as they were an ebay bargain!

Premier Icon jsync
    Subscriber

I’ll second gore liners.

jayx2a

Just found the gore liners. Anyone know difference between c5 and c3. C5 ones seem to refer to all day riding?

drlex

I’ll third them, and also offer Craft cool bike boxers. Very thin pad, so I wear them for commuting under shorts and just change into trousers.
    Large on offer at CRC.

Premier Icon jsync
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure mine are c3, with mesh inserts. I think the c5 is windstopper, which doesn’t sound comfy.

jayx2a

Just check with Gore and both shorts have Mesh insert. The difference is the padding.

C5 Pad:

Advanced Men + Women

Advanced level seat inserts with a medium density foam offer a great protection and comfort while being light and breathable. A two-layer foam construction with specifically developed supporting zones reduces pressure on soft tissue and increases blood flow in critical areas even on longer rides.

+ Windstop – INNOVATIVE SEAT INSERT TECHNOLOGY

Developed for ultimate comfort and protection, this new seat insert technology takes cycling to the next level and allows cyclists to head out straight into the elements.
    CLIMATE CONTROL

Protection against the cold and wind-chill
    Increased breathability and enhanced moisture management for year-round cycling

PRESSURE RELEASE

Unique, pre-formed cup prevents unwanted compression
    Ensures optimum comfort and support for anatomical space

C3 Pad:

Active Men + Women

A single-layer with a less dense foam construction is used in Active level seat inserts. These inserts are scientifically developed for all cycling activities and offer the needed comfort and protection for either mountain bike, roadbike or fitness rides.

nbt

I’ve used a few now. For a while my preferred set has been Funkier 17 panel

https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-force-active-17-bib-shorts-101179.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&source=PHG

just picked up some Sundried Peloton shorts (half price on ebay) and they’re really comfy. might try some of the Cadence shorts with a better pad next

Sundried Peloton Men's Training Bib Shorts

jayx2a

Looked at the Decathlon ones last night – semed ok, but not 100% convinced on the pad.

GORE stuff looks nice, but expensive, but as long as it lasts a while im not too fussed!

anono

I’ve had these for a couple of years – still comfy and holding together nicely – and only £10 at the moment

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Adventure-Road-Cycling-Short-p/pol01-265-p.htm

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.