Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Padded cycling shorts are they all like this.
  • tails
    Free Member

I normally just wear trackies or running shorts when I go razzing around the woods. I’ve been doing some longer distances recently so bought some mtb shorts from decathlon that have a separate liner. It was okay when I tested it over a short distance, but it’s like what I imagine wearing a nappy must feel like!! Is it just a bad fit, are they noticibly better the more expensive options. Don’t really fancy spending £100, though I’m happy to spend more than £30 that these cost me.

johnnystorm

It probably is a thing you get used to. Having said that good padded bibs are a revelation. I’ve tried plenty of cheaper items that were a waste of time. You’ll probably hate me for it but Rapha bibs are ace!

tails
    Free Member

What’s so amazing about Bibs? I’m not at my thinnest at the moment so perhaps that’s not helping the fit.

jca

Bibs stay up without tight waist elastic. They also tend do be higher cut on the back so you are less likely to expose raw flesh to the nasty weather when your top rides up…

CountZero

I’ve got a couple of pairs of baggies with the padded liner built in, and they do give that sort of feeling; I found it much better to wear padded Lycra riding shorts, roadie stylee, with whatever baggies took my fancy over the top, I’ve got Kona, Raceface and Endura shorts, the benefit is that the liner fits better, and the shorts can be worn off the bike as casual wear, which I still do.

winston
    Free Member

Castelli Omloop. Just sayin…

sirromj

Just wondering what sort of duration are your longer rides? If you don’t like wearing them and your rides aren’t that long you might not need them.

grtdkad

Get your Le Col £50 voucher off Strava and then lurk around their Sale waiting for the inevitable reduction. Great bib shirts available at a decent price if you get it right.

FuzzyWuzzy

£30 for baggies with a liner is on the cheaper end and a lot of the time that means not such a good pad, including it’s shape. That said it’s not a guarantee that £100 shorts would feel any different to you (I have shorts at both ends of that price range and neither feel like I’m riding with a nappy on).

Whilst I’d generally recommend bibs as well (the pad generally stays in the right place more easily + lack of bum crack on display if you have a short top on) I’ve always found them a bit of a PITA with baggies as the waist slips on bib material much more than it does on skin/under vest (so they end up working their way down during a ride). You can get some baggies with silicone dots etc. on the inside of the waist band to stop this but they’re rare and generally from fairly expensive manufacturers.

BillMC

I’ve found my Lusso bib shorts to be close to perfection.

slowoldman

+1 for bibs.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well i’ve Always used the knickers and and shorts for MTB and bibs for road. I guess if you struggle to keep shorts up then you will need to go with bibs. They only work if they stay up. All the shorts i’ve Ever had are from the cheaper end of the range. Not sure I agree with the superior quality of the higher end more expensive bibs. I recently had some wiggle vouchers to burn so though i’d bite the bullet and get some pricey Castelli ones. Firstly I couldn’t get a pair that fitted – started at large, my usual size, and worked my way up to XXL and they still felt too small so no idea what Castelli sizing is all about, and after close inspection of the chamois I really couldn’t tell how it was superior to the cheaper DHB bibs I had (and some unknown brand that cost me 70 euros from a ahop in Mallorca which are lush on the tush). Ok I didn’t ride on them but trying them on they didn’t feel any nicer on the cheeks and prodding and stroking the pad with fingers they didn’t feel any plusher or smoother. Maybe my expectations were too high. So sent them back and got a Castelli jersey, which to be fair is v nice.

DezB
    Free Member

I have comfortable padded shorts – like Endura Fs280 (whatever the number is) and they are nice on the bike but feel bulky off it, I have Scott Team shorts (from Startfitness) which are not so good on the bike (I usually wear them mtbing where you don’t sit for quite as long) but the liner is not bulky, just a good shape. So it depends on the shorts.
    I don’t like bibs at all.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s not just the bib and pad to consider but also the saddle you are using. I’ve several pairs of bib shorts and what works on one saddle might not work on another. It’s usually the edge of the pad that’s the problem in this case: if the pad is too narrow and catches the edge of the saddle then you’ll get chafing.

As for which is best, my bum likes the cheap DHB bibs and the fairly high end Assos models best. So price isn’t the deciding factor in that. The worst have been the Endura Click-in liners – really hot and sweaty and not very comfortable.

footflaps

I have comfortable padded shorts – like Endura Fs28060

Yep, I’ve always used these.

Never tried bibs, so can’t comment.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it just a bad fit, are they noticibly better the more expensive options.

Yes. Well. Not necessarily super expensive.

Really cheap ones are just flat padding, these don’t conform to your arse. You want the ones that are 3D, and preferably have the padded spots under sit-bones and the lack of padding under your perineum. These can be had for say £30 or so these days. Also fit is important – they should be snug but comfortable, this keeps the pad snug to your arse and not moving about.

Lastly, you want to make sure that the main pads are in the right place. I have some great shorts that don’t sit right when I first put them on and need adjusting. This might mean pulling up higher at the back (esp if you have a big bum like me) and/or rotating the thighs inwards to allow the pad to move back.

It’s worth it though, I never ride without a pad unless I’m commuting, and for this reason my commuter has a cushy saddle.

On the subject of bibs – for me, they fit very well but after a while the straps get sweaty and uncomfortable, so I have recently been going back to non-bibs.

scotroutes

Possible you’ve bought a size too large. The pads work best when they are tight against your skin, not hanging loose. If you’re not used to wearing lycra then maybe accept the fact you need to go down a size.

mashr

DezB

Subscriber
    I don’t like bibs at all.

Damn bibs and their extra comfort.

I’d echo Scotroutes suggestion that you’ve gone too big. I’ve also found in the past that off the peg combos dont fit as well as buying separates

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I defo had to try a few types before I got the right fit. not all pads are created equally.

I would recommend trying a few in various sizes.

One manufacturers large is not the same as others.

I think my go to pair of bib shorts are Specialized and tights are DHB roubaix

DezB
    Free Member

Damn bibs and their extra comfort.

Weird comment. You do realise what works for you may not work others?

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve found my Lusso bib shorts to be close to perfection.

Seconded. Lusso bibs are excellent and they’re made in Manchester too.

fossy

Lusso and Decathlon’s own padded bibs are great.

Also, having separate baggies, means you can whip filthy baggies off in the car park without upsetting the wild life !

fossy

Poor @DezB, someone is going to be along to tell you how bad not just your short choice is, but TV and Films…. 🙂

mashr

DezB

Subscriber
    Weird comment. You do realise what works for you may not work others?

Indeed, intrigued why no bib short works for you when the features all take away potential problem areas

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to swear by bibs until I found the strap getting sweaty was uncomfortable.

Also, I have a great pair of old Assos ones that are in great shape except they’ve shrunk ever so slightly over the years. The shorts still fit but the straps are a bit too short now.

fossy

Standard shorts are far easier to go to the loo with !! Bib short wearer here, but loo stops can be tricky – just don’t let go of the strap…

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve used the liners from Endura shorts for years (even if not using Endura shorts). I don’t clip them to the shorts though you can do. I find it’s better unclipped as they stay in place while the shorts can shift about. Clip them in and the shorts can drag the liner down your arse.

Bibs… faff, and I don’t have a need to keep everything pulled up (as I say, so long as not clipping liner in). Don’t have an issue with tops riding up and getting muddy back, as that doesn’t happen.

Anyway, I’m just used to padded shorts. A few times not worn them and it’s weird, especially for a bloke. “bits” get caught up in things, plus undies get wedged up.

p.s. don’t ride with undies and padded shorts. Commando only.

DezB
    Free Member

Indeed, intrigued why no bib short works for you

Still weird. Cos I don’t give a shit what works or not for you! 😆

mashr

Now suspecting you’re just talking shit as why wouldn’t you want to contribute useful feedback to the thread?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

normal lycra cycle shorts under baggies that don’t come with a liner, much more comfortable.

sirromj

What sort of distance/duration would you need to be doing before you say padding is necessary? I’d be quite happy on a two hour ride without padding. It’s been a while since I’ve been on anything longer than a two hour ride so can’t say how long I’d need to be riding for before I’d consider padding. Definitely prefer lightweight fast wicking boxers/trunks. Sweaty pads are horrible.

tails
    Free Member

Just reading through the replies now. Thanks

ust wondering what sort of duration are your longer rides?

Around 13 miles off road give or take a bit. I get in a position where my legs are worn from standing and my arse from sitting. I’m running a hardtail, I’m also not the most delicate.

I really need to get a complete mtb wardrobe as I’ve always just ridden in sports clothing.

tails
    Free Member

Possible you’ve bought a size too large. The pads work best when they are tight against your skin, not hanging loose. If you’re not used to wearing lycra then maybe accept the fact you need to go down a size.

I tried a large and the outer shirt was a great fit, the inner liner wouldn’t even get over my upper thigh.

Think I’ve possibly just bought land fill.

Out of interest do these guys riding grand tours where bibs or are their bodies just used to it.

ceept

I have some of the cheap decathlon baggies with a liner, and they are not the most comfortable to walk it, I know exactly what you mean.
    I have a couple of pairs of their cheapest Lycra ones and they are fine, with whatever baggies suit the weather (waterproof or otherwise) over the top.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s personal in my opinion. When I was riding a lot I would do 50-80km on road with no padding and all day off road without padding. Leather gouch they called me. Now I am still ok up to about 4hr off road. Haven’t road ridden in ages.ges. prefer no pad if possible.

tails
    Free Member

normal lycra cycle shorts under baggies that don’t come with a liner, much more comfortable

That might be an idea, a bit more padding without the padding. Thanks for that.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think I got some of the same liner shorts, st500 under shorts. I had to get a large and they are still quite tight but the pad feels a bit too big for the shorts which in themselves are quite brief. Not one of my better decathlon purchases. Still might get some of the 900 shorts as others on here have said they are very good.

oldnick

I started out with padded baggies, they do indeed feel like a loose nappy.
    For a long time now I’ve gone for better Decathlon bibs (at last a pad that fits my @rse) and whatever baggy shorts over the top (currently on £30 stretch fabric ones from Decathlon, really comfy but a bit warmer than some others).
    Main perk of bibs is they stop me getting stomach cramps from the waist elastic of normal Lycra shorts, if the baggies tend to slide down I smear a thin layer of silicone sealant around the waist band of the baggies (please let it dry before using them).

CountZero

Indeed, intrigued why no bib short works for you when the features all take away potential problem areas

Never, ever considered wearing them in over twenty years of riding mountain bikes, because, like TurnerGuy and DezB, they’re totally unnecessary, if wearing regular padded Lycra shorts under a pair of baggies.

molgrips
    Free Member

Think I’ve possibly just bought land fill.

I’ll take em!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Padded cycling shorts are they all like this.’ is closed to new replies.