Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Pact Bikes. Over there in the news >>>
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve had two other requests for that today already.

so already you’ve had 3 requests for the ‘same’ bike- who gets the royalty payment and the “incredible price”? Do you tell the 2nd, 3rd and subsequent submitters that’s someones already bagged the deal so that the idea keeps it’s integrity when people become cynical/sceptical?

brant
    Free Member

so already you’ve had 3 requests for the ‘same’ bike- who gets the royalty payment and the “incredible price”? Do you tell the 2nd, 3rd and subsequent submitters that’s someones already bagged the deal so that the idea keeps it’s integrity when people become cynical/sceptical?

That’s an interesting point that has occured to us. However, there’s going to be more to this than just going “bagsy” on a project and writing an “I want” in two lines.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

how many frames are the limited production runs you’re looking at? 20? 100? is that overall or in each size?

I mean,there are many niches, but how niche is feasible?

kcal

blimey, just when others are cutting back on niche framed bikes, here’s one that is “considerably more niche than you” – possibly. Updated Kilaeua SS for when this one gives up the ghost, please… Or is that just a custom frame, I’m not sure..

pjbarton
    Free Member

32″ wheels on a hard tail could be interesting. Might have to work hard to get tyres.

Big Wheel Keep On Rollin’ – Walmart Offers 32″ Cruiser Bicycles

maxtorque

Sounds like a complete nightmare to me tbh! The reason most bike mongers just stock std off-the-shelf bikes is because that makes things easy. Just the thought of having to please 15 different people, who all want a slightly different spec for slightly different reasons makes me stressed 😉

bigjim

will there be a stw special?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Reinventing the wheel is becoming harder and harder it seems (Understandably)

I really cant see the numbers adding up but I suppose there will always be STW members with the spare cash to bankroll a new project like this to begin with, then…….well who knows.

26″ Rigid
    26″ sus
    29er
    29er sus
    650b
    Fat Bikes

They all end up doing the same thing, some better and some worse than others. All brant is doing is starting another process. Its nothing new as stated before and unfortunately, if it was a successful business model it probably would have been used in the previous business he launched.

I give it 24-36mths tops. Then we will have another 2yrs of Brant back at one one and then he will relaunch his new version of an old subject again.

miketually
    Free Member

if it was a successful business model it probably would have been used in the previous business

Can’t we say that about every new business model?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I can’t immediately think of anything I’d necessarily want built, but I have thought that several times in my life, e.g:

– before Surly designed the Karate Monkey
    – before IslaBike starting making kids bikes that look epic
    – before Xtracycle built the EdgeRunner
    – before Surly built the Ice Cream Truck

So I’m very willing to be surprised and delighted.

🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Miketually, yes of course we can.

Rik
    Free Member

Just sent Brant an idea myself……. 😀

RustySpanner

3 already submitted.

One boring, one technically impossible (I think) and one which is absolute genius.
    Ahem.

I’ll see if I can come up with something a bit more sensible this week. 🙂

Northwind

29 inch ragley ti basically.

poah
    Free Member

brant – Member

No money up front. Unless you’d like to!

Newsletter coming tonight.

Get ideas in. We have two really solid ones already.

decent priced kids full suspension frame suitable for 24 inch wheels

rOcKeTdOg

I asked for mine to be yellow 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

will there be a stw special?

FTFY.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Why give away your intellectual property with no upfront non-disclosure agreement or discussion of terms? Pop bands in the sixties signed royalty “agreements” and ended up with a pittance share of earnings. Has Brant suggested what royalty splits will range from yet?

milky1980
    Free Member

As long as I get a bike that does what I want it to do for a decent price I don’t care!!

Brant’s going to crunch the numbers on whatever he designs so he’ll put 90% of the work in anyway!

PJ266
    Free Member

Has Brant suggested what royalty splits will range from yet?

Spot the Capitalist 😉

I will watch with curiosity, I have no bright ideas but it will be interesting to see what makes the cut! All the best.

pk13

Brant just so you know outlook put your email conformation in the junk file.

gamerriley
    Free Member

10 minutes in and I’m a bike designer 😆

nickc

full suss, long chain stays low, slack, 120mm travel.

Great Idea. Good luck, I hope it goes well. 8)

brant
    Free Member

Brant just so you know outlook put your email conformation in the junk file.

I’m not sure what you mean, but if you can forward me that to brant at pactbikes dot com I’ll have a look.

Cheers

brant
    Free Member

full suss, long chain stays low, slack, 120mm travel.

Great Idea. Good luck, I hope it goes well.

Cheers NickC

rOcKeTdOg

artists impression of the bike that will make me a millionaire in royalties…. er…surely?

mike399
    Free Member

I think its a very nice idea – hopefully it will be a genuine outlet for innovation with regular updates, and hopefully not just a token USP for a small non changing line up.

Having owned several of Brant’s prevous designed frames, (I know like most of us on here) I’ll be interested to see how it the process will work. Both On One and Ragley had/have some great frames but rightly or wrongly have publically let down by customer service or paint finish/quality control – both a result of ‘stack em high sell em cheap’ – not the actual design. Hopefully a more bespoke, limited run product will not have the same issues to contend with.

And nice to have a bike company back in Hebden – Just a shame you already used the Stoodley Pike logo!

Best of luck with it Brant.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Having owned an original mmmmbop I hope Brant returns to brilliant frames like that.
    I think it is a brilliant idea. Good luck.

“so already you’ve had 3 requests for the ‘same’ bike- who gets the royalty payment and the “incredible price”?”

I’d been wondering that myself, being as how I was the first to suggest it. 😛

That’s an interesting point that has occured to us. However, there’s going to be more to this than just going “bagsy” on a project and writing an “I want” in two lines.

So, how much more detail do I need to give beyond simply “Rohloff CX frame” before I can claim my 10%? 😉

A few ideas;

Proper chain adjustment for SS or Rohloff, not using a tensioner.
    A chain can need adjustment during an epic ride and EBBs can be impossible to move with a normal multitool, so that’s sliding dropouts then.

Rohloff dropouts would be nice, but not a deal breaker, a Monkeybone works well.

Modular cable guides with options for every possible combination of cable/hydraulic/electric brake or shifter.

Front & rear rack, mudguard and Salsa Anything Cage mounts, plus as many bottle cage mounts as can be fitted on every tube.

Overall, I suppose I’m thinking Rough Stuff meets Bikepacking, while still being suitable for commuting and looking like a CX bike.

doof_doof
    Free Member

So something along the lines of an aluminium version of this then?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A chain can need adjustment during an epic ride and EBBs can be impossible to move with a normal multitool, so that’s sliding dropouts then.

out of interest, what did you find didn’t work? The one on my swift just needed the grub screws loosening and an allen key in thd non drive side to turn it, never a problem with a multitool (and never needed doing on a ride, but I can see that possibility on something like the highland trail with lots of 100+ mile wet days back to back).

Mugboo

I wouldn’t bet against him.

Hey, that Shand is pretty close to what I had in mind, apart from the £1500 price tag. 😕
    I did wonder if I should have mentioned belt drive, but after having tried it and broken it myself, I wouldn’t bother. Rohloff will only supply the adapter to approved frame manufacturers, and it limits the choice of chainstay length to match the available pulleys and belts, but some people might want it, so for the cost of a coupler, you might as well make it an option.

thisisnotaspoon, I’ve only used the internal expanding type, Bushnell and similar.
    The bolt is in the end of the EBB, too close to the crank arm to get a bulky multitool hex key on. You’d need to carry a separate 4mm hex key.
    Even then, and with the whole thing well copperslipped before assembly, I find it too tight to turn using the 5mm hex holes in the end. I use a pair of bent nose circlip pliers in two of the holes for extra leverage.

cookeaa

I’m intrigued by the idea, I’ve signed up but not had any email through yet, does all seem a little vague at the minute…

I don’t believe I could ever front the costs for putting any of my own ideas into production, So it’s not exactly “Giving away” IP.
    If anything the model is weighted more in favour of anyone submitting their ideas, the possibility of deriving some royalties (any indicative percentages?) for no real personal financial or reputational risk… On the surface, at least, its a pretty sweet deal…

I like the name “Pact” it suggests a bit of honesty.

Brant, what precisely are you after from people:
    -A wishlist/Spec’?
    -Dimensioned drawings?
    -Any specific Niches prefered Road/CX/MTB/BMX?
    -what about materials?
    -technical novelty?

Are there any real constraints on what you can develop or is this just a bit of a “dragnet”, see what ideas come in and go from there?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I can’t see how the figures will add up. What can us consumers come up with thats not already out there that will sell in numbers significant enough to make a load of money from it?

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve signed up but not had any email through yet

You can read the first Pactbikes email online.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well he’s completely ignored my suggestion of a titanium SWB recumbent – even offered to design it for him 😉

cookeaa

miketually – Member
    I’ve signed up but not had any email through yet
    You can read the first Pactbikes email online.

TBH, having read it, I’m not any clearer, still all seems a bit vague…

mickmcd
    Free Member

It makes perfect sense selling a product you already know is sold and there’s a market for

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, I’ve only used the internal expanding type, Bushnell and similar.
    The bolt is in the end of the EBB, too close to the crank arm to get a bulky multitool hex key on. You’d need to carry a separate 4mm hex key.
    Even then, and with the whole thing well copperslipped before assembly, I find it too tight to turn using the 5mm hex holes in the end. I use a pair of bent nose circlip pliers in two of the holes for extra leverage.

Fair enough, the Swift style one didn’t have that problem, think I just put a smear of waterproof grease on it to keep it silent, unlike the expanding type there’s nothing to release so turning was easy (I did it by hand on the external cups untill i figured out there was an allen key socket!).

I can’t see how the figures will add up. What can us consumers come up with thats not already out there that will sell in numbers significant enough to make a load of money from it?

Maybe just getting in ahead of the curve? 650b+/29ers are already out there (RM Sherpa), but no hardtails AFAIK. But I reckon it could be a popular niche in the future. Ditto a disk braked racing bike, appart from Colnago bling and next years CAAD10 there’s only commuter/cross bikes. And I still think even a budget priced rim braked aluminium race bike frameset, like an updated P-X team alu (not the sportive RT-58 alu) would sell if it were half the £800 price of a CAAD 10 frame which can’t be a hard price point to hit. Appart from the Bird Zero is there even another 650b aluminum hardcore hardtail, and there’d be thing’s I’d tweek to that if I were specing it (mainly make it an inch longer).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Pact Bikes. Over there in the news >>>’ is closed to new replies.