Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Packraft Build 2022 Edition!
  • mikeyd
    Free Member

2022 Packraft Build!

2019 Edition: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/packraft-build-2019/

Bonus Story: mid-late 2020 a nice chap from Brazil came across the thread above and asked me to design a 2 person packraft for a multi-sport adventure race he organises (Malacara Race) – they ended up making 50+ I believe from PVC as they couldn’t source any Thermoplastic Poly Urethane/Nylon. I believe he’s started selling them.

Anyway, the 2022 build is more what would be described as a “Pakyak”, I’ve seen a few emerging from various manufacturers and by all accounts they are significantly faster than the traditional Packraft shape (6km/h vs ~4km/h top speed)

A spot of not-very-rapid prototyping:

TPU 210d tube fabric, 420d bottom fabric

Seams welded – *only* took 30mins per seam…

Design and Prototyping time: 6hrs
    Build time so far ~15hrs

Watch this space for end seams and test inflation…

willard

Awesome! That looks a really neat and compact craft.

Just out of interest, how did you scale up the more complex sections from the prototype?

benman
    Free Member

Out of interest, what are you using to weld the seams at home? I’ve got a sleeping mat idea, which could be an interesting home build.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Just out of interest, how did you scale up the more complex sections from the prototype?

All done in AutoCAD, just print it out full size on A1/0 sheets rather than an A3 sheet.

Out of interest, what are you using to weld the seams at home? I’ve got a sleeping mat idea, which could be an interesting home build.

I modified one of these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/digital-led-sealing-iron-230v-eu-plug.html?wrh_pdp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1vSZBhDuARIsAKZlijQBewAJsY47bWi-nZ8vBpZD7T5JqUURULSQqOZctnlmbbqVuKugLdUaAoRtEALw_wcB&___store=en_us

cut off the sides with a chop saw to leave a flat 9mmx 70mm rectangular heat iron (side of iron).

kayak23

So cool 👏

mikeyd
    Free Member

And it’s alive!

£17 Lidl TPU inflatable mattress seems to make a nice floor

2019 & 2022 build comparison

bedmaker

That looks the biz 👌
    Really cool project, would you consider selling them?

stumpy01

Oh My God! Amazing.

I love these threads – so many talented people on here, making stuff!

MrSparkle

Cool, dat.

ayjaydoubleyou

no need for the skeg on the longer thinner model? or still a work in progress?

IHN

Do you also supply the naked lady?

ayjaydoubleyou

in life sized, inflatable form?

mikeyd
    Free Member

Really cool project, would you consider selling them?

The trouble is, it probably took about 20hrs to make, so I’d have to charge about £700!… which is about the price of a “professional” one!

I reckon I’d get this if I were in the market: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/1-person-inflatable-river-packraft-kayak-100/_/R-p-332228

no need for the skeg on the longer thinner model? or still a work in progress?

Still WIP – still have a few details to add like seat, backrest etc. The skeg on the red one is 3D printed, so should just be a case of running another one off. Having said that, I believe this design will naturally track better anyway.

in life sized, inflatable form?

Sure, let me know a list of features you desire and I’ll knock something up

ayjaydoubleyou

The trouble is, it probably took about 20hrs to make, so I’d have to charge about £700!… which is about the price of a “professional” one!

alternatively, how much for the CAD plans and an idiot-proof bill of materials and construction sequence?

sweepy
    Free Member

If you want to stick it together yourself @ayjaydoubleyou have a look at iron raft, and let me know how you get on cos i’m interested myself.
    iron raft

Bloody hell- how do you type out that username, the disconnect between the sound and the spelling did something uncomfortable to my brain!

mikeyd
    Free Member

Iron raft is a great resource, their instructional videos take you through everything: https://youtube.com/channel/UChXzinYOJi5gJ9rFrfKZHMg

A packraft kit from them is pretty good value tbh – £190ish which includes adhesive and a valve.

I bought the TPU material from them this time round ~ 5m @ £17.50/m

It’s a shame they only sell one design.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Final fit out..

Decided to make a proper floor/seat arrangement rather than butcher the sleeping mat
    Sit on top kayak seat for comfort, although this almost doubles the total weight!

3D Printed skeg in PETG (drinks bottle material)

40L dry bag, approx. 550mmx 350mm x 150mm
    Weight approx. double that of the Mk1, however this includes the heavy kayak seat. Add another 1kg or so for the paddle

sandrinecipel
    Free Member

Hello is it possible to buy patron 2d or 3d because In France with VAT it’s more expensive to buy ironraft kit than Decathlon. But Packraft Decathlon is too short.

Have a good day.

thenorthwind

Fantastic work! Right down to the floor and skeg too.

In the time it’s taken you to build this, I’ve ordered some tie downs from Anfibio, and not quite found the time to fit them 😳

kayak23

Really good 👏

Missed the update. I think I’d be a bit nervous in something so lightweight out on open water but then when you’ve made it yourself you at least can assess the strength. 😊

Are you going to take it down the Zambezi?

findo_gask
    Free Member

What an awesome build. Look forward to seeing how it fares on the water 👍

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.