• This topic has 36 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by gray.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Packable Down Jacket
  • jodafett

I’m after a packable down or synthetic jacket for bikepacking. Mainly for keeping warm while camped. I’ll be a fair weather bikepacker to start with so probably doesn’t need to be too warm but decent enough to sit around camp in Scotland! I like the look of the hooded Patagonia Nano Puff but that’s at the top of my budget so cheaper suggestions welcomed. Cheers

momo

I’ve had the older version of this one from Decathlon for a few years now. I’m really impressed with how much abuse it’s stood up to over that time too.

(The older version uses synthetic fill for the hood and sides, but I can’t complain, I only paid £20! I actually bought two but the second one still has it’s tags on as the first is holding up so well)

stox
    Free Member

I posted it yesterday on another thread but how about this?
    I think mine is great and I bought it for a similar reason (tho yet to try it under those circumstances).
    £50. Warm. Packs down into its own pocket. I think it’s really good.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trek500-men-s-mountain-trekking-down-jacket/_/R-p-167571

stox
    Free Member

Clearly I’m not alone 😁

el_boufador

Agree. I’ve got that decathlon jacket and it’s ace. Very packable, light and warm. I use it all the time, as above, been used and abused and stood up to everything. Just don’t get it wet!

jodafett

I posted it yesterday on another thread but how about this?

I had a look for other threads but I could only find one that descended into a “don’t start fires” argument!

I’ll have a look at the decathlon one cheers.

scotroutes

I’ve been using the Montane Prism for exactly this role. I have two now – the oldest being 12 years old. Might be time to retire it…

jkomo

I’ve got the cheaper Decathlon one the 100 something or other. I got it in the spring sale years ago £10, thinking it would do for barbeque/ festival/ don’t care if I lose it duty. It’s probably my most used jacket, goes well under a waterproof, seems breathable, is warm enough on a chilly morning/ evening with just a T shirt, or combine it with another warm later if it’s properly cold. Wearing it now sat outside as I type. 9 degrees, T shirt under it.
    Sorry, it’s just been on sale and sold out:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-mountain-trekking-hooded-padded-jacket-trek-100/_/R-p-176952

stox
    Free Member

@jkomo the link I posted is for the trek 100. I think the link you posted is an older version hence the price but I don’t know for sure.

@jodafett
    sorry, I wasn’t being arsey when I said I posted on another thread. I merely meant people might get fed up of me recommending this jacket twice in two days! FYI I posted it on the ‘what jacket for a pub garden’ thread so it wouldn’t have been easy to find 👍🏻

vondally
    Free Member

I have a older decathlon down jacket…light done a few trips…Japan South Korea Portugal Poland and then as a bike jacket been superb.

stanfree
    Free Member

I got a Adidas Terrex primaloft jacket in thgeir sale . RRP was originally £185 down to £85 minus 20 % so about £68 last week. Very well made jacket and folds into its own pocket , I bought it for back packing and winter riding though its so nice I doubt I’d actually wreck it midwinter with mud and keep it for wearing out about. Does look a wee bit Rob Warner so plenty room for boiled eggs.

lowey

Montane Prism here too. Great jacket.

brads
    Free Member

I looked at dozens without really having a top budget figure, and I bought a Superdry.

Two years later it’s been brilliant. Used on a multi week bike tour of Spain and it packs to nothing and was perfect when the temp dipped.

£60 and it’s down filled.

honeybadgerx

I’ve got an OMM rotor smock I really like. Cosy, light, packable, etc. plus when stuffed into its pocket it turns into a handy fleece covered pillow. Generally speaking a fan of synthetic for this sort of thing ad you feel less bad getting it hacky if you’re covered in mud from the day’s ride.

wbo
    Free Member

Scotland when? I’ve got a nano air and while it’s a great jacket, it’s not designed as a sit round the fire and keep warm. It’s got reasonable insulation, but is not remotely windproof (so it breathes like the clappers under a shell). I’d get something down for what I think you want.

jodafett

No worries @stox I was just having a laugh at the idiosyncrasies of this forum 😉

@wbo
    From about now to Sept. that’s good info on the Nano Puff. I think I’ll steer clear 👍🏼👍🏼

footflaps

Surely Rapha is the only brand for the discerning cyclist….

It’s even called the ‘Explore jacket’…

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/stories/explore-down-jacket

shedbrewed
    Free Member

In the spirit of recommendation of what you own and use I’d recommend the Mountain Equipment Dewline. Pocket packing and good loft of ethical down. I have a Montane Prism too and that’s not as warm but less fussy if it’s wet. Other jackets I’ve tried include a phd wafer; good but not massively warm, and mountain equipment Arete; small packing but not that warm at all. The wafer, prism and arete would all be good for being gently active in but less so for sitting around in.

Hedgehopper

If you’re interested in Montane products the factory shop website has always got some good reductions:

https://mountain-kit.co.uk/

jodafett

Surely Rapha is the only brand for the discerning cyclist….

Purple! My favourite colour. I’ve just ordered two. One must carry a spare at all times 😂

jodafett

If you’re interested in Montane products the factory shop website has always got some good reductions:

That’s a great website. Any idea what items marked ‘SMU’ are? Are they ‘seconds’ or something like that?

hopkinsgm

Any idea what items marked ‘SMU’ are? Are they ‘seconds’ or something like that?

From the “Our store” link at bottom of page:
    SMU Products.

SMU (Special Make Up) products are usually made once or twice a year. They are for the most part based on existing Montane styles but made in fabrics and/or colours that the original product did not come in.

SMU products come with a ‘reasonable lifetime of the garment’ warranty against manufacturing defects.

Full details of each SMU are on the product pages. If you would like to know more, please feel free to contact us for further information.

jodafett

Cheers @hopkinsgm

Edit – I spent ages looking through the small print and it was on the front page all along!!!!

chalky765
    Free Member

Fjern on sportpursuit, definitely worth a look!

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got an OMM rotor smock I really like. Cosy, light, packable, etc

I love my rotor smock but I don’t think it’s sitting around in a campsite warm, I’d like something with a bit more insulation for that.

iainc

I have a Montane Prism which is great, though have just bought an Alpkit Kanyo as it goes smaller when stuffed into its own pocket and doesn’t have a hood.

jimmy

I’ve been using the Montane Prism for exactly this role. I have two now – the oldest being 12 years old. Might be time to retire it…

That your Mountain Rescue special? 🙂

I’m on my second Prism. I keep thinking to retire it, but there’s no need. I thought the insulation had given up, until I used it as an active jacket in the really cols, snowy weather. It’s great and quite bombproof.

However, I used a Rab Microlight Alpine down jacket for touring / bike packing duties as it’s better on the packed size / warmth ratio. It’s not as bomber, though. I would probably go for the Decathlon one to abuse.

scotroutes

That your Mountain Rescue special? 🙂

The very same!

duncancallum

Check sports pursuit

Get a 10 discount for being a stw subscriber

adri_76
    Free Member

Coming from the mountaineering world, if you want packable and light I would recommend Xenon Insulated Jacket from Rab – Primaloft Gold (when compared to other Primaloft variants) is the best in terms of keeping you warm in dry and retaining max body heat when wet. Tested for many years. Of course cannot compete with down insulation but it’s a good balance. The Jacket pack small and it is light. As for down, Rab Microlight Alpine maybe is the best in terms of weight/warmth/weather protection balance. You can always wear a light synthetic jacket on the top of a light down vest – this will cover many situations. At the moment I am using a Mountain Equipment Superflux synthetic jacket and It is not too bad and way warmer than Rab Xenon – but a bit bulkier.

juanking

Hey Duncan, could you clarify on how/where to get 10% off from sportpursuit? Cheers

jimmy

@juanking – see the members area for discount code. Says it’s for new users only, I think, so if you’re already signed up you may need to do it again with a new email address.

montgomery
    Free Member

My ten year old Nanopuff kept me nice and warm on a chilly bivi this morning.

I got it half price. I probably wouldn’t have paid full price for it. I’ve just got a Superflux from the same retailer, again for half price. They still have two XLs if that’s your size and you like blue (link).

juanking

Sweet, thanks guys.

jodafett

Thanks for all the suggestions. My Montane Prism arrives tomorrow! Hopefully it’ll be 12 years before I need anymore jacket advice 👍🏼👍🏼

Spin
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll be disappointed with a Prism, they’re great for spring/summer/autumn stuff and a good balance between weight and warmth.

gray

They also double up as a good camping pillow when travelling light!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Packable Down Jacket’ is closed to new replies.