Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Pace RC295 Reviews?
  • goby

Hi,
    Sorry if this been done already (search function is rubbish!), but anyone managed to demo or seen any review for this yet?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I emailed them earlier this month and was told demos would be available in January.
    No other news and decided to order the new Hope 29er.
    Looks good though and reasonably priced especially for frame only.
    Cheers
    Steve

tomhoward

Guy Kesteven was the first to get one for review, so if he hasn’t done one yet, I suspect no one has. (Check his Instagram) Not sure if the first batch of customer ones are with owners yet either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    russyh
    Free Member

Guy is releasing his review on Sunday I’m told.  Looking forward to it, just wish this bike had more travel!

ogden
    Free Member

They are only 30 miles from me so I want to love it but I can’t help but think its ugly. The front triangle is fine but the linkage a rear end look a bit DIY.

The numbers look spot on for the type of bike I wan’t and TBH for a full carbon frame the price isn’t too bad.

Maybe its a grower.

russyh
    Free Member

Have you seen the photos of the production bike Ogden? The prototype lineages and rear end look like it was…well a prototype, the images of the production bikes look much much nicer.  I would 100% buy one if it were slightly bigger travel

ogden
    Free Member

https://youtu.be/-GW2oL9TSsc

Guykeztv seem to like it!

tdog
    Free Member

I believe Pinkbike have a first look review

goby

Ah great thanks will watch 👍

tdog
    Free Member

Argghh damn you guys – looks like I might have to get one after seeing Guy well listening fully to him and seeing it on Paces’ site

:/ whether to go frame only, fully built XT or custom build or fully custom

Shiate this is gonna get outta hand!

👍🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

Mugboo

That reminds me, I still need to explore Dalbys off piste

Twodogs

either this is the world’s best bike, or the reviewer is incapable of doing a genuine review. Even the 165mm cranks as standard cos the BB is so low is just mentioned in passing, and not seen as possible downside!

ogden
    Free Member

:/ whether to go frame only, fully built XT or custom build or fully custom

Because the frame only is pretty reasonable I’d be building one up myself. Pick up some bargains and it’ll come under the full build price I’d think.

tdog
    Free Member

Yes bb quite!

My Mojo 3 was bloody low that I’ll have to compare though that had 175mm cranks 😜🤣

abeach

Hmmm, I haven’t heard him by very objective about much he reviews. It always seems a sunny day. Bring back Steve Jones.

tdog
    Free Member

To decipher Steve Jones‘ words the Dirt mag chap (?) is like trying to explain to kim yung un that he is allowed a different haircut

AlexSimon

Twodogs

Subscriber

either this is the world’s best bike, or the reviewer is incapable of doing a genuine review. Even the 165mm cranks as standard cos the BB is so low is just mentioned in passing, and not seen as possible downside!

The spec on the site says 170mm for the GX and unspecified for XT.

Personally, I like this approach. I’ve had 170mm cranks for ages on a low bb bike and love it. I haven’t done the maths to work out whether they balance each other out, but I haven’t really noticed the rock strikes being a problem and my favourite trails are around Peak District Stanage Edge, Roaches, etc in the technical sections. I have noticed that when pedals are level, you get caught out in deep ruts occasionally, when others are ok, but I’m happy with the compromise.

I have 175mm cranks on my CX and never notice. I’d be interested to try 165mm cranks actually.

Twodogs

The spec on the site says 170mm for the GX and unspecified for XT

you may well be right..I’m just going on what he said in the video

chakaping
    Free Member

either this is the world’s best bike, or the reviewer is incapable of doing a genuine review

His videos are sponsored by the bike manufacturers featured in them. He doesn’t try to hide that, though perhaps it could be clearer if you’d not twigged.

So while I’d be inclined to trust his positive comments, he’s unlikely to be dwelling on any negatives.

I’d certainly wait for a non-paid review before making a buying decision.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Adrian Carter proving its not about the bike in that vid.

AlexSimon

@chepaking – he specifically said he wasn’t paid in the video.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve just watched the first five minutes or so of Guy K’s vid – actually quite a lot more – and mostly it seems to be about geometry, which is fine, but as someone who used to own an RC405 – Pace’s previous full suspension bike from about ten years ago – I’d want to be reassured that the suspension on the new bike works better than the 405, which wasn’t really a patch on, say, the Santa Cruz set-up. I’d like to know how it copes with more sustained rocky stuff like a lot of my local riding, before I’d even think about buying one.

chakaping
    Free Member

he specifically said he wasn’t paid in the video.

Fair enough. Is that a one-off thing for him?

Seems to fit the same format as usual anyway. Is he pals with Mr Carter, out of interest?

Alex

I had a 405 as well Jon (BWD). I think maybe it was you who recommended it to me! (actually might have been one of the STW crew). I loved that bike when I demo’d it but my own seemed very short and – as you say – a bit meh on the rear suspension.

That new one does look nice. Good on Pace for still producing relevant and well priced bikes. I remember the 205 which came out after the 405. That wasn’t a looker 😉

Oh 165mm cranks are great.

tdog
    Free Member

@BadlyWiredDog – likewise as rocks are very unforgiving here which might be a decent excuse to grab a set of eewings hahaha

mashr

I’d certainly wait for a non-paid review before making a buying decision.

Pinkbike seem to be on a rich vein of form at the moment, be interesting to see if they break it

ogden
    Free Member

Pace RC295 tech talk round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tlc3auUFr8

BadlyWiredDog

I had a 405 as well Jon (BWD). I think maybe it was you who recommended it to me! (actually might have been one of the STW crew). I loved that bike when I demo’d it but my own seemed very short and – as you say – a bit meh on the rear suspension.

I think it was decent in its time tbf. In the way that the Whyte 46 was decent it its time. But with hindsight, the faults are glaringly obvious. It was better than the Whyte Preston 🙂

I’m more interested in the RC627 to be fair. I thought I’d bought a frame a few months back, then it turned out that there were out of stock. Might yet go for it in the New Year, but very definitely not in purple.

Seems to fit the same format as usual anyway. Is he pals with Mr Carter, out of interest?

I think they go back a long way, but Guy’s a sharp cookie. He’d not be bigging up anything he didn’t genuinely think was good.

Twodogs

I liked my RC405 a lot, and if I was in the market for a new bike, the 295 would be on the list. Not sure how much faith I’d put in a 5 (or was it 10) year warranty from Pace tho, judging by their response when my Pace forks broke while still in warranty…..

ogden
    Free Member

Not sure how much faith I’d put in a 5 (or was it 10) year warranty from Pace

TBH can you from many brands? They will all try and get out of it if they can.

honourablegeorge

One thing in that video buy Guy K I disliked was that the bike seems to have a little box around the rear shock that fills with debris. Was pine needles in gbe video, but I’d say a few stones in there would do some damage.

Looks brilliant value otherwise though, not much to dislike.

mboy
    Free Member

@russyh why so fixed on the travel numbers…? OK it’s subjective, but I rode your Ibis that day at FoD briefly, it felt like it had less travel than my Evil despite having 10 + 15mm more travel per end respectively!

I’d be more concerned by how it rides in relation to other known quantities than a fixed amount of travel myself. Besides, 130-140 rear seems to be the new “Goldlicks” travel for 29ers these days…

I REALLY want to get a go on one… Even just to compare it to my Evil Offering!

russyh
    Free Member

Because experience tells me that’s my sweet spot, remember I have owned several 29 140mm bikes.  I need something I can use in Morzine in the summer as well as South Wales steeps.  For me 160mm ticks my boxes placebo or not.  To be honest It would likely be fine, but i see it more as a trail bike.  Which would always have me wanting an enduro bike in the quiver.  When I reality the additional travel and appropriate build spec has no detrimental effect in my view and when spending the kind of money I would to get it to how I wanted, not sure why I should need to compromise on my wish list.

mboy
    Free Member

Fair enough!

I really thought I’d feel like I was missing out dropping to 150 on the front from 160, but the reality of moving to a GRIP2 damper (and now have added a DSD Runt too) has just highlighted to me how much more important quality is than quantity…

I’ve done Morzine on a 120mm trail bike, I’ve done Morzine on 200mm DH bikes, I’ve done Morzine on various grades inbetween… I’m not sure which I had more fun on! To be honest, depends a lot on what you’re going to ride there (if you’re going to session the DH tracks and the bike parks, longer travel makes sense), but there’s so much good stuff off the beaten trail that I can remember (it’s 12 years since I’ve been mind!) that doesn’t warranty longer travel too.

My view is now “buy the bike that suits 90% of your riding”, which my Offering is. If I go abroad on it, I’ll chuck Super Gravity/DH rubber on and hope for the best, but that would also be the same if I had 10-20mm more travel anyway!

russyh
    Free Member

I think the point is Mark, that if I am looking to buy a new bike and no what I want in terms of Geo, travel, wheel size, suspension platform etc.  Why compromise? Sure try different things (hence being interested in the RC295) but having ridden 130/140mm 29ers for a couple of years, if I go back it will be with at least 150 f&r.  With 160 being my sweet spot, I see no negative from a personal perspective.

AlexSimon

Any truth to the rumour that Chris Akrigg is moving to ride one of these?

I kind of wish he was moving to a bigger brand, just for his bank balance and world travel opportunities, but at the same time, moving to Pace would be pretty cool.

frogstomp

Review up on Enduro magazine’s website.. presumably embargoed so I guess STW, PB etc. reviews will be imminent..

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the reviewer posted a few pictures on instagram the other day, hopefully gonna test one early feb.
    although i didnt like the look of the crap in that square trap suspension just above the BB

moonsaballoon

sounds good from the enduro mag review . although who do you think they were referring to with this ?

we worried that Pace would play a little on nostalgia and heritage, targeting their bike at fans with a bike dated from the outset (which we have seen with other UK brands).

Orange ? i know they haven’t updated the basic single pivot system but i thought the geometry on the new bikes was pretty modern .

frogstomp

although who do you think they were referring to with this ?

Hope? The HB160 geometry wasn’t particularly contemporary..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Pace RC295 Reviews?’ is closed to new replies.