Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • P.S.A Winter watch returns
  • Bunnyhop

Tuesday 19th January
    BBC 2 at 8.00pm.

The team return for 8 episodes over 2 weeks.

Bring on the snow, the wonderful nature and wildlife we have in this country. A must watch if one needs a bit of cheer.

scotroutes

I don’t know if young Xander (antboy) has a slot in this one. He has been busy with a few segments for other programmes so I sort of lose track.

loum
    Free Member

Thank you.
    Only problem with it is the kids want to stay up late and watch it. Should be 7pm start.

reluctantjumper

Excellent, could really do with some nature watching right now.

Just got to get the TV working, won’t tune in to channels for some odd reason.

swavis

loum
    Free Member
    Thank you.
    Only problem with it is the kids want to stay up late and watch it. Should be 7pm start.

Ha ha, absolutely this. Or I have to watch it twice having recorded it for them.

brads
    Free Member

Would be great if they binned Cwiss the arse.

Merak

Mnnn it does seem to have become the Chris Packham show of late, more’s the pity.

ElShalimo

@brads – what’s your problem with him? Why is he an arse?

Cwiss.. really?

brads
    Free Member

If you shoot you will understand.

That aside the mans a liar and will do anything to stop what he doesn’t like. His “charity” (under investigation as it’s not a charity) Has been caught fibbing about animals abroad in order to keep animals from their owners.

Also using the same animals under multiple guises to beg “donations”

That and he’s a tit.

And yes really, I’m not worried if he’s offended.

ElShalimo

My apologies, as I don’t needlessly shoot innocent flying things to get my kicks, I’m struggling to develop any feelings of empathy for your plight.

spacey

I really don’t think Chris Packham is the arse in that debate

DezB
    Free Member

+1 massively. Massive arsely.
    An enthusiastic expert in all things nature, or someone who likes to play with guns… hmm, such a difficult choice.

Coyote
    Free Member

As others have alluded to, someone with a real passion for nature vs. someone who loves to kill it. You are not making a great argument.

Would be great if they binned Cwiss the arse.

Ok, I think that you have reached your level.

Bunnyhop

loum – record it, then your children can watch early next day. :0)

thepurist

record it, then your children can watch early next day

Surely it’d count as a science lesson for home schooling? 🙂

slowoldman

record it, then your children can watch early next day

Or watch it any time on iPlayer.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bookmarked.

& I agwee about Cwis Packham.
    NOT being an arse that is.

Some bigger arseholes on here.

ElShalimo

Never mind Christopher…. Will we see Gillian’s beavers again?

😉

Bunnyhop

Snigger,

scotroutes – Xander was mentioned by Simon Barnes (the author) in a column he writes for the latest edition of the RSPB magazine. He’s part of this new young generation, spreading the word about nature, wildlife and saving the environment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Never mind Christopher…. Will we see Gillian’s beavers again?

It is too early in the year for Black Cock lekking.

(Chris is a character, and quite a ‘unique’ one. He is a historic supporter of our work engaging children with nature, and at this he is brilliant. Politics, winning friends and influencing people, less so.
    As for the field sports people trying to take some moral high ground over one persons behaviour, I suggest you get your own house in order first.
    There is no ‘right’ or in this – but both sides have plenty wrong and until this bi-partisan approach is ended, you will all put more effort and stress into arguing than solving some of the big challenges that the environment, business and indivuduals face).

footflaps

+1

He’s spot on IMHO.

The shooting / tearing small animals to bits for ‘sport’ brigade lost their moral compass centuries ago.

IdleJon

Will we see Gillian’s beavers again?

Please no!

As cute as they are, they are captive. They might just as well just film it at Longleat. And there aren’t exactly many of them in the UK, whereas there are loads of interesting things that never get mentioned, probably because they are more difficult to film. (And thinking about it, there are loads of commonplace animals that never get mentioned because they are taken for granted.)

We need less coverage of beavers, and badgers, and bloody red squirrels. Don’t get me started on pine martens. I love a pine marten, but not for every meal..

What I want them to tell me is why (grey) squirrels and blackbirds seem to be having a war in the undergrowth this winter? And why we don’t get pheasants around here, other than on one 100m stretch of suburban wasteland? What do urban gulls do when they aren’t sitting on my roof or raiding the bins? Would a jackdaw beat a magpie in a knife fight? Are there any animals that Packham hates and would stamp on? What would Mortimer And Whitehouse Gone Winterwatch look like? Where have all the owls gone that were in our woods three months ago? And many other sensible questions…

ElShalimo

Would a jackdaw beat a magpie in a knife fight?

Silly question, magpies are well hard, they can break your arm and everything. (or is that a Dotterel?)

matt_outandabout

As cute as they are, they are captive. They might just as well just film it at Longleat. And there aren’t exactly many of them in the UK

Come canoe with me and I can show you where a good few live. They’re in southern England, Argyll and Perthshire. There’s many species with fewer numbers and geographic spread – e.g. killer whales.

And why we don’t get pheasants around here, other than on one 100m stretch of suburban wasteland?

You know most are bred and fed, ready for shooting…? Few wild pheasants all things relative.

matt_outandabout

Would a jackdaw beat a magpie in a knife fight?

No, but a crow can give a sparrowhawk a good run for it’s money..

whitestone
    Free Member

Chris Packham did a programme a couple of years ago about his Aspergers (or similar condition, can’t remember exactly what he’s been diagnosed with) and there was a big thread on here about it. Goes some way to explaining his apparent lack of people skills.

Popular science programmes like Spring/Autumn/Winterwatch have to balance science, entertainment and information. Not easy to do.

fasthaggis

What would Mortimer And Whitehouse Gone Winterwatch look like?

Be still,my beating heart,I would love to see Bob stroking an owl 😉

IdleJon

Come canoe with me and I can show you where a good few live.

I know – some live near a mates farm. But the ones they film aren’t wild.

You know most are bred and fed, ready for shooting…? Few wild pheasants all things relative.

That’s a very sensible answer to a non-sensible question. 😀

No, but a crow can give a sparrowhawk a good run for it’s money..

Unless that crow is a skilled exponent of jiu-jitsu, he’s lost that fight already. And, as we all know, crows despise the martial arts.

brads
    Free Member

The shooting / tearing small animals to bits for ‘sport’ brigade lost their moral compass centuries ago.

What’s that got to do with shooting ? and what Packham is up to ? His latest is attempts are to stop pest control. Risking huge agricultural losses and welfare issues.

It’s lovely to see so many without a clue of what shooting actually entails.

Anyhoo, glad to say the Welsh courts threw out his attempts to wreak havoc on agriculture again.

Surprised the BBC keep him on actually due to their strict rule on impartiality that they ignore in his case.

Regardless I’ll bow out. Winterwatch is a great programme that is spoiled by his part in it.
    I’ll watch the edited highlights lol.

matt_outandabout

It’s lovely to see so many without a clue of what shooting actually entails.

brads
    Free Member

But you’re not though are you ?

Ok one more post from me then I’m out.

I shoot, a fair bit and have done for decades. I have rarely shot driven bird and have eaten every one I’ve shot.
    At one point I went 3.5 yrs without buying meat or farming out my animal killing to others as is the way of a few on this thread who condemn shooting.
    I’m veggie now so shoot for other peoples dinner table and for pest control reasons.
    Remember there is no difference to me shooting pigeons to protect a crop than any of you catching a mouse at home, morally no difference at all.

So tell me, how massive a sociopath am I ? Am I a danger to my family as some here would suggest ?
    Am I entitled to dislike someone who uses a false charity to mount legal challenges to general licences simply to try and stop all killing ? regardless of the requirement to actually kill these animals ?

The same guy who lauds the RSPB, who then go on to shoot thousands of birds and animals a year ?

And,,,I’m out.

swavis

I saw this argument on FB where someone stated that the reduction in raptors was more likely down to habitat loss than persecution from game keepers on grouse moors…

They breed and shoot loads of pheasants around here. They’re a flipping nuisance, and you really don’t need a gun, you could catch one by hand and wring it’s neck they’re that tame. Or just shine a car headlight and they’ll come running. I guess it employs about 2 people though so it’s really really important to the economy.

edit – I have absolutely no issue with pest control, it’s the bred to be killed for sport bit that I don’t agree with.

matt_outandabout

But you’re not though are you ?

I am a farmer/agricultural kid by upbringing. I have lived and worked in rural communities since my teens, first job was driving birds, pluck and gut pheasant or grouse, shooting rats and killing turkeys at Christmas, I have taken part in shoots for deer, pheasant and grouse. I have done a little fishing and kept game such as chickens and pheasant – for meat – as teenager.

I have spent the last three years working with a schools project to introduce them to Scotland’s natural larder – from blackberries to venison. A project bridging some of the gap between vegan verge-foraging near hippies and the Duke’s men on the estate.

I do have some insight here.

While others have condemned you, I haven’t. As others haven’t. We all have differing views.

What I dislike is the extreme views of many on both sides and the refusal to think that anything “the other side” is completely wrong and that nothing “my side” does is wrong.

brads
    Free Member

OK so what was the point of your meme ?

It would seem we agree on most and to be honest I would think you would get the issue with Packham more than most.

I am absolutely not anti conservation or animal rights, quite the opposite. And if you want extreme, well he is the epitome of extreme view to the exclusion of all others.

spacey

Fair play for putting your point across brads. The name calling earlier up on the thread obviously got peoples backs up but it would be interesting to hear more. What is it that you see as legitimate to head out and shoot? And where does the line between pest control and blood sport get drawn?

Coyote
    Free Member

And where does the line between pest control and blood sport get drawn?

I’d be interested to understand this too. I’ve used mousetraps in the house as a pure necessity and take no pleasure in finding a full one. I’ve spoken to a couple of people who shoot for pest control who seem to take a great deal of enjoyment in blasting “pests”.

brads
    Free Member

Blood sport is simply a term invented to stir up emotions against hunting.

It’s an easily defined line actually. Anything that is not driven bird is effectively pest control.
    I was a stalker for a Borders estate for a long time an shot Roe deer. Pest control (plus food supply)
    I shoot birds , squirrels etc all pest control for (what I hope is ) obvious reasons.

Ground game, killed most , all for the plate and pest control reasons.

Foxes, pest control, out and out . Have shot more than I care to mention, but have and will refused to shoot one “for the sake of it” (quite rare, they wreak havoc)

Beavers , pest control, never shot one but understand that some populations will need controlled.

As for driven bird. I have no interest in massive number days, waste in my eyes, but equally I feel happy that I have shot hundreds and hundreds of driven birds, and all have been used.

I’m pretty immune to abuse really, there are always some who are blindly against shooting (mainly a class thing I’ve found, ignorantly) and they will never see it anyone else’s way.

I would love to know how they get meat on their plates mind. Farming out killing to others whilst condemning killing , lol

As I have said, I don’t eat meat any more but I still have no issue carrying out pest control or shooting for others plates, or for humane reasons (bloody sheep lol)

jimw
    Free Member

there are always some who are blindly against shooting (mainly a class thing I’ve found, ignorantly) and they will never see it anyone else’s way.

To be fair, if you re-read your own comments it does come across that you do seem to be blindly for shooting and against Chris Packam and won’t see anyone else’s way when they support an alternative view. It may well be that I have missed something though.
    It cuts both ways.

I agree with matt_outandabout on this point

I dislike the extreme views of many on both sides and the refusal to think that anything “the other side” is completely wrong and that nothing “my side” does is wrong.

brads
    Free Member

I’m absolutely not blindly against everyone else’s views, but yes I have no time for Packham.

One of the best conversations I had on this subject was in a pub with a hunt sab. We had an audience watching intently and we got on brilliantly. More so the drunker we got.
    I work with a vegan bloke and we completely get each others points of view, and we share many.

What does boil my piss is the ignorant comments along the lines of all pheasant shooters are tory toffs who smoke £50 notes and wipe their arses with YTS youths.

90% of syndicate members I know are manual workers, proper working class folk.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘P.S.A Winter watch returns’ is closed to new replies.