Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • P-Clips for funky shaped carbon frames? (winterising road bike content)
  • ourmaninthenorth

My winter road bike frame has cracked. My cross bike is in pieces.

My carbon road bike has clearance for full guards, but no mounts. Since I seem to be using it in the rain anyway, I figured I’d put my full guards on it.

Never used p-clips before – how well do they cope with odd shaped tubes/fork legs? If not, what are the other alternatives?

Anthony
    Free Member

Just buy the size big enough to go all the way round and simply bend it to shape to suit the profile. I’d wrap a bit of electrical tape around the frame first and make sure you use the rubber grommets to protect the frame.

Should get it tight enough to support a mudguard, I wouldn’t go putting a pannier rack on mind.

damitamit
    Free Member

I thought P-Clips would be quite hard to bend into shape (my carbon stay was square) so did it like this with a piece of mecano. Depends on the shape of the stays I suppose.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers both. I’ll do some measuring and see what the sizes come out as.

And good call on taping the frame up – will have to do the same at the chainstay/BB junction, as the guards will need to be ziptied on.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Tom – Freshtripe do some rather neat mudguard mounting points that fit into the dropouts – would work on the front, maybe modable for the rear? Would save any damage to your carbon.

Link is on this page here.

I’ve successfully mounted mudguards with big zip ties before as well, the only permanent fitting being at the brake boss.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers Ed. I’ll have a look there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘P-Clips for funky shaped carbon frames? (winterising road bike content)’ is closed to new replies.