Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ozzies: Optus for broadband?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just had a right old game with Spintel as my speeds have been less than half a mb over the last month. After a snotty email from the Telecoms Ombudsman and a couple of weeks of “try this, try that” they admitted they are totally congested and agreed to waive the termination fee and 30 month notice period. I’ve switched to Optus and should be up and running soon – one of the reasons I changed to them is the fact I saw them laying FO cable to my exchange so perhaps a sniff of the NBN coming? Anyways, just wondered if anyone was on Optus and what sort of speeds are you getting?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html
    the advice I got for NBN was Telstra/IInet or one other, optus not mentioned as the big 3 had the main supply here in tassie and were better at managing it.
    Went with iinet, super helpful actual customer service.

Max speed will depend mostly on where you live though and not who supplies it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah – theoretically I should get higher than 0.5mb… I’m only 1.5km from the exchange as the cockatoo flies.. Line quality is good, internal wiring is fine. I was getting 6mb which was actually pretty good, but Spintel just said that had too much congestion and another supplier might be less so. There’s 600 spare ports at the exchange that could be up to 20mb adsl2+ so here’s hoping.

NBN hasn’t even started here yet but we’re buying a house next year in an area that’s already on it (one of my pre reqs!)

Sad state of affairs though eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it was on my list too, though I’m only getting 25mb rather than the 50 I pay for but they think it’s due to it not handing over properly.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

25 is great – oz average is something ridiculous like 3mb. I was getting 14 until we moved and accepted that 6 was the best I could get at this address but when it dropped to half a mb at best and I could barely open a web page let alone run phones/tablets and tv – even the lowest br youtube stuttered and buffered I thought, “you know I’m paying $80 for 56k modem speeds” had to get it sorted.

I was mildy annoyed when my bro told me Virgin had upped his cable to 152mb, then giggled as he told me his wifi card could only do 30…. schadenfreude indeed 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

internode is the primo provider recommended by the nerds on whirlpool

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that was the other one.

I was going to go for the 100 package on NBN but the local telstra shop said it was topping out around 65, so hopefully I get the 50 when it’s sorted out.

In terms of wifi etc. anything thats needing the speed is hardwired here anyway.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Bloody hell. I am getting 4 with Telstra. Mount Eliza is supposedly terrible though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah I was pissed at getting 6mb but dropping to half a mb, nail/coffin.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ozzies: Optus for broadband?’ is closed to new replies.