• This topic has 47 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Oxi!
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I appear to have been wrong. The Greek people have stood up to the bullying and fearmongering by narrowly voting No in the referendum. Well done!

nickjb
    Free Member

Have they? Are the results in?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Polls just closed. Early exit polls so far 51/49%.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Same pollsters that did the UK General election?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Probably not. Though I wouldn’t rule out the referendum being ‘adjusted’ slightly to Nai…

T1000
    Free Member

Oxymoron…. Only one exit poll result so far too soon to call

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL relying on a poll…which gives 49/51…

Are you for real?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

That’s an average of six exit polls, all of which have No in a narrow lead. Unless there is a lot of ballot box stuffing in the next couple of hours I’m considering it a result

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I appear to have been wrong. The Greek people have stood up to the bullying and fearmongering by narrowly voting No in the referendum. Well done!

Mortgage payment is due next week. Should we have a vote on it? 50% of our income seems a bit harsh, ill offer them a fiver and some acorns, as of tomorrow we’re declaring acorns to have parity with £ so it should be OK.

chambord
    Free Member

Its unfortunate that squirrels don’t have more say in these things.

imnotverygood

Out of interest. Where are you getting these ‘exit polls’ from? The BBC website says that none have been carried out. There have been some standard opinion polls whose results have just been released.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bbc saying 11% of votes counted, sitting at 60% no, 40% yes.

Guess that’s as close to an exit poll as you’ll get.

TheFlyingOx

Mortgage payment is due next week. Should we have a vote on it? 50% of our income seems a bit harsh, ill offer them a fiver and some acorns, as of tomorrow we’re declaring acorns to have parity with £ so it should be OK.

Depends. Were you forced to take out the mortgage even though you couldn’t afford it, just so the builder who built the estate could brag to their mates about how successful they are because every single one of their houses was bought?

seosamh77
    Free Member

slight movement towards no, 60.5% no, 39.5% yes now 20% votes in.

Klunk
    Free Member

good news for those selling euro stocks short 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Even Angela Merkel, it is reported, has privately told MPs that, as far as she is concerned, Alexis Tsipras has simply driven his country into the wall – and that’s something you hear quite a bit from politicians here. They say this Greek government has simply destroyed all trust and you wonder, under those circumstances, how negotiations can ever start again.

Quite. It is going to be interesting to see what power Greece thinks it has over the rest of the Eurozone now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Even Angela Merkel, it is reported, has privately told MPs that, as far as she is concerned……..blah blah blah

“Even” Angela Merkel ?

That’ll be the Angela Merkel who always previously supported Alexis Tsipras and Syriza no doubt !

😆

cranberry
    Free Member

I don’t think that she did always support Tsipras, she’s put her agitprop days behind her.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Anybody else think what happens with greece now will have a big bearing on how our EU referendum will go?

Far as i can see over recent years the EU is hardly covering itself in glory, from makign the irish go back and vote on lisbon, to their dubious role at the beginning of the ukraine debacle, to TTIP. I think people are watching very closely what happens to greece and it will affect how the vote goes in this country.

The out camp must be creaming their pants at recent events.

Will also be interesting if Greece are forced to go back to the Drachma/take on another currency aswell, I’d guess that’d have implications on a 2nd scottish ref aswell.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, EU ZM bureaucrats exercising their power on a nation …

Ya, give them more power then one day they will strike.

Who the hell do those non-elected ZMs think they are by establishing themselves as “King of the kings”. They should not exist at all.

The ZMs have completely missed the point by making their own existence as the end rather than the means to harmonise EU. A bit like administrators forgetting their place of supporting role by hyping up their own importance. Know your place! You are ZM bureaucrats! You role is to support and Not impede!

Hardly surprising coz that’s what ZMs do in all large public organisations.

😡

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Using the term ZM devalues your arguments somewhat.

seosamh77
    Free Member

what’s ZM?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Zombie Maggot apparently.

chewkw
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member
    Using the term ZM devalues your arguments somewhat.

😆 Only if you take my arguments at face value.

seosamh77 – Member

what’s ZM?

Where have you been? 😯

ZMs = zombie maggots.

DrJ

Yes, I think you’re right, seosamh77 – even if you don’t think Tsipras played a blinder, it is very very clear that the troika plan for Greece is not based on sound economics, and that that the EU have been pulling a bunch of very nasty tricks to try to force a YES vote – tricks which the Greek people, God bless them, have seen straight through.

So now people, like me, who would have considered themselves automatic pro-EU voters a year ago, have seen that the EU is basically anti-democratic and unprincipled, with the president of the EU parliament actively campaigning to overthrow an elected EU government. I’m afraid that toothpaste won’t go back into the tube.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Where have you been?

a 3 day wedding! only just coming round to normality/soberness! 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How long until the usual EU ruse of another referendum is employed?

mrmoofo

DrJ

Maybe the Greeks should take some responsibility for their recent overspending. They have been lent money by banks …. but it wasn’t compulsory to spend it all …

You know when your credit card bill comes in at the end on the month ….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

what’s ZM?

First mistake – reading Chewwy’s post.

Second mistake – believing it might contain something interesting.

Chewwy uses about 3 different templates for all his posts which he likes to rework so that the words are not always in the same order. Presumably he erroneously believes that rearranging the words in different order will make his posts appear slightly less tedious.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Maybe the Greeks should take some responsibility for their recent overspending.

Maybe the French and German banks who made the cockup and as a result demanded that taxpayers bail them out should take some responsibility for their incompetence.

My understanding is that to be a lender you require two things – firstly you need to make a risk assessment, and secondly you need to have some money to lend. Doing one without the other is pointless.

If bankers can’t do their job properly then they should accept the consequences, not expect others to step in and bail them out.

mrmoofo

Ernie,

The German banks didn’t make a cock up , they rallied to sure up the Euro. TBH what is happening was always going to happen.
    But the Greeks are responsible for their own destiny …. not someone else …

thejesmonddingo

Perhaps living in Koln,you have a different perspective,Colin.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The German banks didn’t make a cock up ……………. TBH what is happening was always going to happen.

I’m assuming that the obvious contradiction there escapes you.

gordimhor

What with 92%of the bailout money going to banks it seems to me the old adage
    “Privatise profit,Nationalise debt ” rings true

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You know when your credit card bill comes in at the end on the month ….

And you see they’ve raised your credit limit…
    Very handy…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Privatise profit,Nationalise debt”

And with that mantra firmly established I think we can all agree that even a trained monkey could run a bank successfully.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The German banks didn’t make a cock up , they rallied to sure up the Euro

You might just need to check up on that one

. TBH what is happening was always going to happen.

Pretty true – the vote is a farce under the pretence of democracy. It will make zero difference to the outcome. How can it? A vote on an offer that doesn’t exist and if it did cannot work. The bizarre fantasy land of the € zone.

But the Greeks are responsible for their own destiny …. not someone else …

Yes in terms of the future, but no in terms of why we have got to this awful spot.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the vote is a farce under the pretence of democracy. It will make zero difference to the outcome. How can it?

That point of view is completely in line with that of the Greek Communist Party THM 🙂

I agree btw.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

what’s ZM?

First mistake – reading Chewwy’s post.

Second mistake – believing it might contain something interesting.

Chewwy uses about 3 different templates for all his posts which he likes to rework so that the words are not always in the same order. Presumably he erroneously believes that rearranging the words in different order will make his posts appear slightly less tedious. [/quote]

Ernie is in my fan club. 😆

It might look like a template because no matter how you look the arguments the fact is you cannot change the ZMs. They are as they are. Fact! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Oxi!’ is closed to new replies.